December 2016 Wild Coast Trip

Default December 2016 Wild Coast Trip

Me and my wife are going on a Wild Coast adventure in a few days and we need some advice. (it is our unofficial honeymoon) We have never been in the Transkei and we are very excited.

I have applied for the necessary permits for "use of a Motor Vehicle in the Coastal Conservation Area" in the Southern and Northern areas. And we are planning to drive from Morgan's Bay in the South crossing with the Kei River Ferry heading up North to Port St Johns.

We have split up our journey in 3 parts:

Google map of rough route
    (the exact route is marked out on the Slingsby Map - some roads around coffee bay won't show on Google Maps)
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ug...54&usp=sharing

Part 1
    We have a long drive on our first day.
    We need to drive from the Kei river crossing to Bulungula.
    About 200 km of slow going by the looks of it.
    We spend a few days in Bulungula before continuing with part 2.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 19.08.57.png 
Views:	295 
Size:	365.5 KB 
ID:	428985

Part 2We have a much shorter drive and can take our time to take in the beauty of the landscape. (30 - 40km)
    On this stretch, we will drive from Bulungula to Coffee Bay.
    Going by the Slingsby Map it seems that we will start with a 4x4 stretch of about 9km between Bulungula and Kumpane.
    and shortly after there will be another short stretch of 4x4 road over a "bad drift" between Nqakanga and Zithule Mission.
    And another between Sinethemba to Nzulwini.
    The we end off in Coffee Bay where we will stay for a few nights.

Name:	map 1.png 
Views:	350 
Size:	919.0 KB 
ID:	428986

Part 3On the 3rd part of the trip we start our day heading towards Port St. Johns parallel to the coast most of the way for the final stretch.
    Taking the T314 - T309 to Ntabengcuka.
    We then head in the direction of Bucula where there is another 4x4 stretch to Bulawu - the map indicates there is a "flood damaged bridge" and that "4x4 is required". Shortly after this stretch there is another 4x4 section in the vicinity of Kwa-Diko / Rame Head - the Map indicates "Bridge Washed away in 2007 - Passable by 4x4 only"
    It seems to be easy going From Shark Point onwards to the R61 and on to Port St. Johns.

Name:	map 2.png 
Views:	186 
Size:	886.2 KB 
ID:	428989

Has anybody driven these roads recently? Can anybody advise on the conditions?
    Would it be okay to drive on our own? Any recommendations for nice spots along the road or sights to see?
    Any other community members around on the same route over the festive season?
    The map shows a few fuel stops along the way - can anybody advise on how reliable these fuels stops are?

Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

We will document the trip as best we can and give a report back in the new year (if all goes well).

Happy holidays everyone!

Last edited by Rokkit; 2016/12/19 at 07:59 PM.

Default Re: December 2016 Wild Coast Trip

Pm me and send me your cell number we have a cottage in Cwebe reserve near the haven hotel worth a stop over chees

The Jan 2017 issue of Weg has a nice article on a 10 day trip through the Transkei. Some nice info there. Although not really 4x4 related. Tracks4Africa will also be a great help.

Do try and set a day aside for Waterfall Bluff and Cathedral Rock. That is between Mboyti and Luputana. It will involve a return hike of 16km. But well worth it and easily done in a day. Both times we went we traveled from Mthata for the day.

Daniek - Thanks for the tip on Weg - I will try to pick up a copy today!

Thanks for getting in touch Dust Buster - would be nice if we can hook-up on the route. I will let you know about Hole in the Wall!

We will be at our cottage from the 28 till about 8th one day I am thinking if I have time to take a drive from the haven to hole in the wall

Have a look at my wild coast trip report in the Eastern Cape section.
    We did the trip from Pinetown down to Cintsa East in October, so going the other way - but should help you with yours.
    Note plenty of road construction going on at some places so conditions can change from week to week.
    Edit - adding link to trip report
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...tern-Cape-area
    Last edited by Peter1949; 2016/12/20 at 12:38 PM.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2