2008 Toyota Hilux SRX 2.5 D4D D/C 4x4 - Lift, suspension, wheels, etc.

Default 2008 Toyota Hilux SRX 2.5 D4D D/C 4x4 - Lift, suspension, wheels, etc.

[Namibia]
    Good afternoon, Everyone.

I am in dire need of your help, guidance and assistance wherever and however possible.
    To make matters worse, it’s on a topic that has been discussed over-and-over.

I am so confused and flabbergasted about all the information, topics, options and prices. So much so that I almost want to forget about all my ideas.
    But here I go… For the last year I have been thinking about either selling off my vehicle, modding it, or like I mentioned above, just forget about any and all of my ideas.
    I drive a ‘stock standard’, ex-rental. I do enjoy this vehicle very much – It has taken me places I would have only thought and dreamt about in recent years, with no issues or breakages whatsoever.
    It is a 2008 Toyota Hilux 2.5 D4D SRX 4x4 with 16” steel rims, running 245/70/R16 Velocity Raptors for the last 30K km. The tyres could probably still go another +/-15K.
    I have fitted either 20 or 25mm pvc spacers infront to eliminate the ‘driking-horse’ look – A wrap-around bulbar – Towbar, etc.
    This vehicle is obviously painstakingly slow, but it has saved me quite a bit on speeding fines. I have now been driving it for about 3 years and I should settle the last 40K by next year at the bank – Dependant on future decisions.
    I have recently thought about doing all / some of the below, but there’s so many opinions and information available that I do not know whom to trust anymore, whom to believe or what to do.

With the below in mind, I want and I like, GROUND CLEARANCE!
    - New Alloy Rims, 15” or 16” (I hear and read things about offsets..?)
    - New tyres (A whole can of worms on its own – Strictly M/T’s, but if I REALLY-REALLY have to, I might opt for A/T’s.)
    - Higher aluminium spacers upfront (30 / 35mm ?)
    - Rear-shackles
    - New shocks (Another can of worms..?)
    - “Arctic” Fender flares (But these things are ridiculously expensive and they are almost paper-thin, I refuse to pay this much for a cheap plastic as such.)

I do not necessarily use this vehicle as my daily runner since I currently benefit from a company “plat kar”.
    But when I do use it, I almost misuse it. I like to be in the bush – on trails – flexing whatever there is to flex and looking for roads/paths where I have to use low range / the difflock. 

Starting at wheels what sizes and offsets and inches, ‘pieppietjies’ and what-have-you-not, do I look at?
    What other mods do I have to consider along with my intentions? (Wheels scraping somewhere?)
    Is it worthwhile to invest in such mods?
    Do I sell the vehicle?

PLEASE HELP ME, I’M GOING CRAZY!!!
    Questions are more than welcome.
    (And responses in Afrikaans are also more than welcome!)
    2012 Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 Double Cab 4x4

NamBoyz
    V51GU

Default Re: 2008 Toyota Hilux SRX 2.5 D4D D/C 4x4 - Lift, suspension, wheels, etc.

Sounds like you want your Hilux to look like a new Ford Raptor.......

- why new rims?
    - why change to 15 inch tyres?
    - bigger tyres means an even slower bakkie
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Default Re: 2008 Toyota Hilux SRX 2.5 D4D D/C 4x4 - Lift, suspension, wheels, etc.

On the slow bakkie, fit this with a proper freeflow exhaust. Don't go for the chip and all that.

You could go for some Gabriel HDP shocks. They are not to expensive.

On the rear blades, maybe pull 2 out and add some air springs.

Add a proper diesel filter. UDF, Donaldson, Cat, plenty to pick from.

Tyres, I love my MAXXIS.

Other than that, you have a winner of a vehicle there.
    Last edited by Henris; 2016/12/12 at 04:54 PM.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Hendris, why do you say no chip? Many say the chip is great w no reliability issues. I would prefer not to but the Cirrus pricelist says a chip is required with the intercooler?

The biggest problem (am I alone here?) with my SRX is power complete lack of power below 2000rpm, and I do quite a bit of idle/low rev driving for game viewing etc... does the intercooler solve that?

Also look at Amada extreme shocks, I fitted shocks w 30mm lift for a massive gravel/offroad improvement at reasonable cost... not sure if you can get them in Windhoek tho. I only realised how good they were going up a rocky pass where my friend in his Isuzu w OMEmu couldn't keep up at all.
    Anyway I reckon any of the aftermarket shocks will be a great improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Sounds like you want your Hilux to look like a new Ford Raptor.......

- why new rims?
    - why change to 15 inch tyres?
    - bigger tyres means an even slower bakkie
    I would not say that my intentions are to have it look like a Ford.
    I have not done anything to this vehicle since I acquired it day one, about 3 years back.
    I feel the need to do something to kind of "rekindle the love".

New rims from an aesthetic point point of view, since I have been running the stock 16" steel rims from day one.
    These are no longer aesthetically pleasing.

I have no apparent reason to change to 15" apart from the fact that I can squeeze in more rubber. I can use rubber better than a piece of metal alloy.
    To me more tyre makes more sense than having more metal.

I do however fully agree on your point, that larger wheels means more weight, which in turn means I would be robbing the engine of even more power.

NamBoyz
    V51GU

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    On the slow bakkie, fit this with a proper freeflow exhaust. Don't go for the chip and all that.

You could go for some Gabriel HDP shocks. They are not to expensive.

On the rear blades, maybe pull 2 out and add some air springs.

Add a proper diesel filter. UDF, Donaldson, Cat, plenty to pick from.

Tyres, I love my MAXXIS.

Other than that, you have a winner of a vehicle there.

I have asked around about the possibility of an intercooler.
    It simply makes so much sense to add this to the 2.5, but it seems like no one in Windhoek do this.

From the little research I have done I am also no longer too keen on a piggyback system, but I might opt for the remapping of the standard ECU - The process makes more sense instead of just upping fuel pressure on the standard fuel lines.

I will also opt for a more-free-flowing exhaust system and someone mentioned removing some or other cat from the exhaust system.

With regard to shocks- It's a whole new topic I have to spend just as much time on research as with the wheel brands and sizes.
    I hear and read of too many different opinions. What's good for the one seems to be crappy for the other.

I have no idea what is means by rear blades and air springs. Do you perhaps have a link to this?
    Last edited by Uysster; 2016/12/12 at 06:44 PM.

NamBoyz
    V51GU

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Hendris, why do you say no chip? Many say the chip is great w no reliability issues. I would prefer not to but the Cirrus pricelist says a chip is required with the intercooler?

The biggest problem (am I alone here?) with my SRX is power complete lack of power below 2000rpm, and I do quite a bit of idle/low rev driving for game viewing etc... does the intercooler solve that?

Also look at Amada extreme shocks, I fitted shocks w 30mm lift for a massive gravel/offroad improvement at reasonable cost... not sure if you can get them in Windhoek tho. I only realised how good they were going up a rocky pass where my friend in his Isuzu w OMEmu couldn't keep up at all.
    Anyway I reckon any of the aftermarket shocks will be a great improvement.

SRX has practically no power under 2000rpm. I could'nt agree more. And hardly much more higher up.
    I agree with you on the idle/low rev driving. I also do game viewing here and there and on a 4x4 trail you do not want to tackle any obstacle at speed, but you do need power low down.

With regard to shocks, I am still lost. There's so many options and opinions...

NamBoyz
    V51GU

That intercooler is a kit that just bolts in. Any mechanic will be able to fit for you.

The blades I am referring to are the blade packs in the back. When you soften then by removing some blades, it makes the ride a lot more civilised. Lot more like coil springs. Adding the air springs, then allows to compensate for whatever load you take onboard.
    http://www.airsprings.cc/4x4/4x4.htm
    Last edited by Henris; 2016/12/12 at 06:58 PM.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works here.......

Careful not to over-spend, add weight etc etc, and still have a vehicle that is too low on torque, or too slow for you.
    Maybe consider taking something else for a test drive - like a 2,7 VVti (quiet game drive vehicle), or a 3,0 D4D. If that doesn't suit you, THEN yes, start modding your 2,5 with suspension/chips/exhaust/intercooler/mags/tyres/etc etc.
    The 2,5 Hilux is a great vehicle. But yes, every and any engine has certain characteristics that (my very humble opinion) can be modded, yes.......but beware of destroying the whole character of a vehicle.

Just be careful. You (may) end up spending a lot of viskoppe, while you actually could have just changed your vehicle for another one, for the same difference in monetary terms, and get another "genuine article" with characteristics that suits you.
    "Yes, I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three".........Mick Jagger

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Sorry to throw a spanner in the works here.......

Careful not to over-spend, add weight etc etc, and still have a vehicle that is too low on torque, or too slow for you.
    Maybe consider taking something else for a test drive - like a 2,7 VVti (quiet game drive vehicle), or a 3,0 D4D. If that doesn't suit you, THEN yes, start modding your 2,5 with suspension/chips/exhaust/intercooler/mags/tyres/etc etc.
    The 2,5 Hilux is a great vehicle. But yes, every and any engine has certain characteristics that (my very humble opinion) can be modded, yes.......but beware of destroying the whole character of a vehicle.

Just be careful. You (may) end up spending a lot of viskoppe, while you actually could have just changed your vehicle for another one, for the same difference in monetary terms, and get another "genuine article" with characteristics that suits you.

This is what I meant with my initial post. So many different opinions to consider.
    This is exactly what I was referring to initially. One thought says mod - another says sell - another screams 3.0L

Your opinion is much valued thanks and thanks for taking the time in responding.

Eish... What to do...

NamBoyz
    V51GU

And guess what I found late last night crawling around under the vehicle, looking at the suspension, wheel arches, taking a few measurements, etc... A leaking water pump!

NamBoyz
    V51GU

Quote Originally Posted by Uysster View Post
    And guess what I found late last night crawling around under the vehicle, looking at the suspension, wheel arches, taking a few measurements, etc... A leaking water pump!
    Slightly difficult to replace, but with some basic skills you can do it yourself. What is the mileage?
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    Slightly difficult to replace, but with some basic skills you can do it yourself. What is the mileage?

I would probably succeed with enough time and some cussing, but I simply do not currently have the time and I do have mechanical insurance. I might not even pay a cent for this repair.

NamBoyz
    V51GU

You can try some soluble oil in your water. Could just buy you some time.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    You can try some soluble oil in your water. Could just buy you some time.
    this is my 2.5 4x4 pimped drop any 3l on a 4x4 outing
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by riaan pio; 2016/12/14 at 02:26 PM.