Bird Valley Estate Cramond Kzn outside Pietermaritzburg

Default Ranger Headlight problems

2015 Ranger 3.2 with H4 headlights
    History
    In 2015 trip to Zim which included rough roads Vic falls, Binga,Kariba and corrugated road to Mana pools with standard Hella H4 55/60 W globes. Get stopped and checked at roadblock drivers side headlight not working on dim. Brights OK. Get fined. On return globes OK but Canbus module had to be reloaded. No charge

Later in 2015 Mozambique trip including Kosi bay to Maputo ,Pomene etc
    Same story. Front right not working on dim. Get fined. Take vehicle back to Ford. Globe OK. Reload module. No charge

Decided maybe a globe is faulty and buy 2 new globes but go for Osram night breakers.

Also 55/60 W. Just back from 9600 km Namibia trip including Ruacana to Epupa rough road. Driving with lights on. In town cop tells me front right not working on dim. I show him my spare original Hella globe and he lets me go

Book vehicle into Ford Pmb 2 weeks ago for today and tell them I will wait for vehicle and reserve auto electrician for 8 am. I confirm my vehicle first one booked for today
    .Get told vehicle must be in before 8 confirmed yesterday by SMS from dealer. Get to dealer 7 h 40 today. Booking form shows reload module and customer will wait. Get told many vehicles ahead of me and will only be ready in afternoon. I point out came in from farm and have later appointments, afternoon not acceptable. At 10 am get tired of sitting in reception and go into workshop. Vehicle is sitting there, technician and service manager tell me non standard globes have caused the Canbus to stop power to that globe. They cannot explain why left headlight still works or how a Osram 55/60 W globe can draw more current than a Hella 55/60 W
    My school experience is amps = watts divided by volts so current draw should be approx 5 amps in both cases. Get told R410 to replace globes. I replace globes with original Hella which I had in glove box as spares in under 5 mins. Then get told R 380 to reload module. In view of all the above I refuse to pay. Discussion then continues in reception where another customer who had left dim go twice and then also thought globes may be faulty and replaced with Ring globes was complaining about R 1000 odd to replace globes and reload module. I eventually was not charged for reloading the module

I believe Osram and Ring are not low quality no name brand globes and surely 55/60w is 55/60 W whoever the manufacturer. I fully accept if replace globes with 100 W , led or Hid then Canbus could be affected but same wattage globes from different manufacturers Can Canbus be this sensitive ?

I also believe I got a totally B/S runaround from the dealer today

Do I now put back the Osram and if problem re occurs put back Hella before taking vehicle back to dealer ? . Seems a bit under hand to me

Perhaps JP and others who have had similar problems would like to comment

Could the rough roads have shaken up the system ? . Lights were not on in Zim and Moz

La
    Last edited by richarda; 2016/12/09 at 04:21 PM.
    Ford Ranger Supercab 3.2 auto 4 x 4
    Blinkgat camper, Stofpad sump and gearbox guard,ironman snorkel,maxxis bighorn,firestone air springs
    Mazda MX5 _ sold after 5 happy years
    Polo 2.0 wife
    Retired

Default Re: Ranger Headlight problems

Find an honest dealer! Look in your user manual, page 163 "Maintenance", it says: "Note: Only fit bulbs of the correct specification. See Bulb Specification Chart". Flip to page 168 and the chart only mentions the type of lamp and the wattage, NO mention of brand. So, if you followed your official user manual and used the correct type of lamp and of the correct wattage, I think your dealer is taking you for a ride 8)

60W is 60W, simple as that. Some non-name brands might be marked as for instance 60W and then draw 75W or 45W but Osram (and Hella and Philips, etc) must conform to the European CE specifications where the claimed wattage must be within a certain tolerance. The canbus should also have some tolerance to carter for lamp tolerances (and ageing lamps) as well as battery terminal voltage.

My Mazda BT50 3.2 was one week old when I replaced the stock with Osram Nightbreakers and it's now close to 3 years, no problems. I did however at that stage first contacted Mazda SA to question the warranty should I use the Osrams and their answer was very simple "if the globe is the same wattage there is no problem". Going further I called my dealer and asked the same question, got the same reply. So perhaps Mazda is just more honest, or have a better canbus controller?
    Last edited by Capone; 2016/12/09 at 07:22 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Capone For This Useful Post:

OK so if globes not the problem has anyone else had the problem of Canbus cutting power to dim setting of one of the headlights with standard globes ?
    Any issues after rough/ corrugated roads ?
    Does it appear I may have a problem somewhere else in wiring, relays etc ?
    Blinkgat camper, Stofpad sump and gearbox guard,ironman snorkel,maxxis bighorn,firestone air springs
    Polo 2.0 wife
    Retired

Hi all, I know it's an oldish thread, but seems that I have the same problem now, been running the osram night breakers for about a year. Over the weekend I notice the right side dim is dead, by new night breakers, still not working. Test the connection, wire for dim on the right is dead, left is fine. Does this mean that I will have to go for a module reset? Could this also affect my number plate lights not working? Globes are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Skurf View Post
    Hi all, I know it's an oldish thread, but seems that I have the same problem now, been running the osram night breakers for about a year. Over the weekend I notice the right side dim is dead, by new night breakers, still not working. Test the connection, wire for dim on the right is dead, left is fine. Does this mean that I will have to go for a module reset? Could this also affect my number plate lights not working? Globes are fine.

Module reset, and dims are working

Number plate lights still dead though

Man, how come I dont seem to have a problem with the std headlights. Mine shine far down the road. Everyone complaining and fidgeting with theirs. I even get complaints that my lights are bright, until I flash the brights!

These look interesting. Would it affect warranty?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Clark View Post

Quote Originally Posted by riyadh View Post
    Man, how come I dont seem to have a problem with the std headlights. Mine shine far down the road. Everyone complaining and fidgeting with theirs. I even get complaints that my lights are bright, until I flash the brights!
    incorrectly adjusted dims

Does the ranger have electrically adjustable headlights?
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Jelo, the facelift does, the pre-facelift doesn't
    André Jordaan

2019 4X2 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport
    ex- 2016 4X2 Ford Ranger 2.2 TDCi Supercab

I've just done something, and I DON'T KNOW what it was!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Clouder View Post
    Jelo, the facelift does, the pre-facelift doesn't
    Depends on which model you had. The pre-facelift XLT and Wildtrak also had electrically adjustable headlights.

Ya, sorry, obviously! That is correct!
    André Jordaan

2019 4X2 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport
    ex- 2016 4X2 Ford Ranger 2.2 TDCi Supercab

I've just done something, and I DON'T KNOW what it was!!!

Module reset, and dims are working

Number plate lights still dead though
    If you stand behind the bakkie, left rear wheel arch, you will find the fault there, or right at the back inside the kick plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin C View Post
    Depends on which model you had. The pre-facelift XLT and Wildtrak also had electrically adjustable headlights.
    Also the xl plus

Quote Originally Posted by pierre2013 View Post
    If you stand behind the bakkie, left rear wheel arch, you will find the fault there, or right at the back inside the kick plate.
    Dankie Pierre, sal gou more kyk en laat weet

Quote Originally Posted by pierre2013 View Post

Pierre, ek nee aan ek moet die plastiek cover in die arch verwyder

Pierre, ek nee aan ek moet die plastiek cover in die arch verwyder
    Kyk maar eers agter teen die kick plate. Jy moet die spaarwiel maar laat sak laat jy regop kan sit.

As dit nie daar is nie, volg die loom tot waar hy draai, aan die regter kant agter. Dis maar die klippe wat die draad teespoed gee.

I fitted Philips LED conversion. Worked fine for a day en then teh Dims died. Brights are still working. Is this also a module problem? Do I have to take it to dealers for reset?

H
    Hennie
    Toyota Legend 50
    Disclaimer: The views expressed by me in the above thread and replies are based on my personal experience and perceptions, which may be subjected to change from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    I fitted Philips LED conversion. Worked fine for a day en then teh Dims died. Brights are still working. Is this also a module problem? Do I have to take it to dealers for reset?

H
    Unfortunately Yes

Had same problem with extreme lights led headlights
    Extreme lights will no longer supply Ranger lights due to these issue's
    Polo 2.0 wife
    Retired