Default Ford T6 Ranger 3.2 Manual vs Auto

If there's another thread wrt my question - please forgive me, I've missed it.

My Ranger is a 3.2 4x2 manual. I'm looking to replace it with the facelifted T6 Wildtrak...BUT....this time I'm considering an auto....So.....

Has anyone on this forum either owned or maybe just driven both a manual 3.2, as well as a auto over an extended period of time?
    Which do you prefer?
    Did you feel/notice any discernable differences between these two types of 'boxes wrt pulling a load, moving off from standstill, diesel consumption etc?
    How does the auto perform when towing a caravan?

Any experiences would be greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks!
    2021 VW Touareg Executive (190KW)
    2020 Ford Everest Limited 2.0 Bi-Turbo (SWAMBO)

Default Re: Ford T6 Ranger 3.2 Manual vs Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Casper... View Post

My Ranger is a 3.2 4x2 manual. I'm looking to replace it with the facelifted T6 Wildtrak...BUT....this time I'm considering an auto....So.....

Has anyone on this forum either owned or maybe just driven both a manual 3.2, as well as a auto over an extended period of time?
    Which do you prefer?
    Did you feel/notice any discernable differences between these two types of 'boxes wrt pulling a load, moving off from standstill, diesel consumption etc?

Thanks!
    Hi Caper,

Have a look at this:
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ger?highlight=
    Moenie leef met die droom "ek gaan dit doen as ek eendag aftree" want dit mag dalk nie gebeur.
    2019 SYM Citycom S300i
    2019 BMW 1250 GS
    2018 Toyota Hilux 2.8 4x4 Raider.
    2018 Mercedes-Benz V-Class 250d Avantgarde
    2012 Dethleffs Esprit Motor-home.

Ek besit die 2012 3.2 auto van nuut en is heel in my skik met die voertuig. Hy sleep ook heel gemaklik die Jurgens XT-140. Die ratkas "hunt" ook nie vir die regte rat nie. Ek het nog nie in S mode gesleep nie, net normale auto. Dit was verbasend om te sien hoe maklik werk die auto in dik sand, jy ry net, en geniet die uitsig.

Ek verstaan die sagteware van die WT is 'n groot verbetering, weet nie of dit sal werk op my kar nie. Die Auto kaste van vandag is besonders en doen sy werk sonder om jou te pla.

Ek het ook met die VW Amarok auto 8 spoed gesleep en dis "magic"...beslis iets om na te kyk as jy in die mark is
    Last edited by kadafi; 2016/12/08 at 01:36 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kadafi For This Useful Post:

BBK....thank you very much!

Your bakkie looks absolutely awesome and I'm seriously impressed with the revs you pulling at 100km/hr....the diesel consumption is just an added bonus I'll say.

Wrt the pictures you've added....answers all my questions....it's not always possible to see that kind of detail wrt what's happening.....so again...a big thanks.

The SWAMBO also had a look and has just given the go-ahead for an burnt orange auto 3.2 Wildtrak!
    2021 VW Touareg Executive (190KW)
    2020 Ford Everest Limited 2.0 Bi-Turbo (SWAMBO)

I have a 2015 auto 3.2 as well as a 2016 f/lift auto and wold not consider the manual. I tow a Conqurorer Companion caravan with absolute ease. Al you need to do is flip to port mode ad set the speed cruise at 110 km/hr. Up and down hills with the greatest of ease.
    How can you be old and wise
    if you were never young and wild

2019 Landcruiser V8 (BOSB4K)
    2016 Conqueror Companion 2B

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Grant1 For This Useful Post:

We had Ford's 4x4 training at De Rust Outdoors today. There maybe 12-15 Rangers there. Only 3 were manual. Also, on many obstacles the instructors wanted to know who had the manual transmission as this seemed to have required extra care with (not) using the clutch.

I can see the argument for wanting to "feel" the car. If that's your thing then manual makes sense, but I found it very reassuring as a newbie to put the car in 1st or 2nd gear of the automatic transmission and only worry about breaking and applying power. It allowed me to focus on other things, such as where I was going and how to deal with nasty rocks.

Some may also prefer the manual for the fuel consumption. After 8,000kms in my 2.2 4x4 auto, I average 8.4l/100 (130 km daily round trip commute). That's not too bad I think for an auto.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4xnewbie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4xnewbie View Post
    We had Ford's 4x4 training at De Rust Outdoors today. There maybe 12-15 Rangers there. Only 3 were manual. Also, on many obstacles the instructors wanted to know who had the manual transmission as this seemed to have required extra care with (not) using the clutch.

I can see the argument for wanting to "feel" the car. If that's your thing then manual makes sense, but I found it very reassuring as a newbie to put the car in 1st or 2nd gear of the automatic transmission and only worry about breaking and applying power. It allowed me to focus on other things, such as where I was going and how to deal with nasty rocks.

Some may also prefer the manual for the fuel consumption. After 8,000kms in my 2.2 4x4 auto, I average 8.4l/100 (130 km daily round trip commute). That's not too bad I think for an auto.

The manual guys just had to put the Ranger in 1st gear and LR and let the clutch go, no need for touching the faster pedal when going up or down during the training at De Rust
    2018 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD 6 4x4 Auto (SOLD)
    2016 Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS 4x4 (SOLD)
    2014 Nissan Navara LE Auto (SOLD)
    2011 Nissan Navara XE (SOLD)

That is good fuel consumption. In the 2.2 XL 4x4 manual I got an all time low of 9.7 l/100 km driving down to Durban. First time ever. Otherwise 11.5 l/100 km in town driving. How is the autos 3rd gear low down revs?
    Do more, more often . . . live the dream

http://www.youtube.com/c/4x4ventures_southafrica

Current
    2016 2.2 XL 4X4 Manual Ford Ranger
    Previous
    2010 2.0 TDi 4X2 VW Amarok

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Crocker View Post
    That is good fuel consumption. In the 2.2 XL 4x4 manual I got an all time low of 9.7 l/100 km driving down to Durban. First time ever. Otherwise 11.5 l/100 km in town driving. How is the autos 3rd gear low down revs?
    I think you might be doing something wrong, I've got an average of 9.5l/100k on my 3.2 auto and this between JHB and PTA mostly at semi to full peak hours which also includes two offroad trips and many short distance journeys to shops. This avaerage is over the last 7170km and I'm sure I'll be able to get lower than 9 driving to durbs and keep with the legal speed limit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel.PNG 
Views:	362 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	428128
    Last edited by Crazy 4x4; 2016/12/11 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy 4x4 View Post
    I think you might be doing something wrong, I've got an average of 9.5l/100k on my 3.2 auto and this between JHB and PTA mostly at semi to full peak hours which also includes two offroad trips and many short distance journeys to shops. This avaerage is over the last 7170km and I'm sure I'll be able to get lower than 9 driving to durbs and keep with the legal speed limit.

I have much larger tyres on the Ranger, so I'm sure it is most of the problem regarding fuel consumption. 285/70/16. My real concern is power loss in low down revs in 3rd gear (probably also resulting in some power loss from tyres). I have seen really good fuel consumption in both the standard wildtrack and XLT 3.2 models with standard tyres - 7.8 and 8.3 l/100 kms in town driving.
    Last edited by Ryan Crocker; 2016/12/11 at 11:49 PM.
    Do more, more often . . . live the dream

http://www.youtube.com/c/4x4ventures_southafrica

Current
    2016 2.2 XL 4X4 Manual Ford Ranger
    Previous
    2010 2.0 TDi 4X2 VW Amarok

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Crocker View Post
    Hi Ryan. To be honest I havent picked up anything odd with the third gear but unless I am in sports mode, I don't pay attention to which gear I am in. The car shifts as needed and I only know by a change in the revs.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy 4x4 View Post

I found that my reading on the Mazda 3.2 auto is out by at least 1L/100. Last week it showed 9.4l/100 the best its ever shown, but once at the tank it actually gave me 10.4l/100.

My average normally is 11.14l/100, even the 10.4 I got was driving under the speedlimit and just resting my foot on the pedal, and very going over 2200rpm.
    I really dont know how anybody gets under 10 on the 3.2.

Hi all

Do the facelifted 3.2 still have that rev-hold phenomenon between gears, when shifting gears obviously.
    2016 BMW 535d

Quote Originally Posted by Casper... View Post

Which do you prefer?

Thanks!
    Hi Casper,
    We (family business) own 8 Rangers of which 3 are Wildtrak versions - Auto 4x2 Wildtrak (2016), a manual 4x2 Wildtrak (2016) & an Auto Wildtrak 4x4 (2015 - pre Facelift).
    I'd take the auto any day.
    Fuel Consumption on them varies between 10.5 l/100km to 13 l/100km.
    We towed with them, driven the hell of them and they just go - auto is just calmer and easier imo.
    The 3.2 motor is superb - power wise, take off, towing, highway cruising/over taking.
    In the end, its preference, but my daily jump is the auto....

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Wildtrak777 For This Useful Post:

My first 3.2 was manual, will never go manual again

I've got 2013 3.2 auto 4x4 with 88000km and no problems .Just towed from Pretoria to Mosselbay 3x quads about about 1.5 - 1.8 ton. Just a pleasure. Only notice the quads behind is when putting diesel in. Normal just under 10km /l with towing 7.3km/l with speedo cruise set at 125 km. Al on spot put speedo cruise at 150 km to see also no problem (just for about 10km to check handling and performance) .
    Have a nice festive season.

My 3.2 auto diesel consumption ..not a great pic but..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ford.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	428648