Combining 80w + 200w solar systems?

Default Combining 80w + 200w solar systems?

I recently bought an Echo Namib caravan permanently fitted with an 80w solar panel on the roof, wired into an Echo electrical control system with 250w 10A solar controler and 2 pretty new / good x 50 a/h leisure batteries (ie 100a/h). We are looking forward to camping off the grid.

The caravan has a 50L National luna Twin which has a very small freezer. It has the normal LED lights etc. From what I have learnt from you guys, this setup is not ideal and needs a larger solar system. For longer stays I would also like to use a 40L Waeco freezer as well.

Now I also have 2 x 100w solar panels and a 250w 20A WRND solar controller (all brand new never used) which I did not sell along with my old setup.

I would think that 280w would be too much for either controller. The 2 x 100w I will have at ground level. I do not believe I could run both systems on one set of batteries either (80w Echo system + 200w WRND system). What would be the best way to set this up (solar panels and controller) so that I can use both freezers without overloading the solar controller. I also don't want to have to connect and disconnect batteries.

Do I now have to go and buy a larger 30A solar controller to run 280w?
    Last edited by Sneaky Pete; 2018/03/24 at 07:42 PM.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

Default Re: Combining 80w + 200w solar systems?

Was giving my own question some thought .
    - The panels are all poly crystaline panels.
    - The 80w panel on the caravan I believe was probably fitted originally by Echo and the van being a 2011, makes the panel 7 years old.
    - The caravan will always be in shade if there is any.
    - The chance of getting anywhere near the max of 250w is very very unlikely.
    - I intend to install a meter to monitor the efficiency of the panels. In the unlikely of getting close to the max ability of the solar controller I could partially shade a panel.

What would be the best? The 2 x100watt's in series and the 80watt paralel then?
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

Default Re: Combining 80w + 200w solar systems?

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    Was giving my own question some thought .
    - The panels are all poly crystaline panels.
    - The 80w panel on the caravan I believe was probably fitted originally by Echo and the van being a 2011, makes the panel 7 years old.
    - The caravan will always be in shade if there is any.
    - The chance of getting anywhere near the max of 250w is very very unlikely.
    - I intend to install a meter to monitor the efficiency of the panels. In the unlikely of getting close to the max ability of the solar controller I could partially shade a panel.

What would be the best? The 2 x100watt's in series and the 80watt paralel then?
    As you said, the chances of you exceeding 250W is remote.
    The panels are not angled towards the sun and there will always be dust.
    Both the little 8A Microcare that I have and the popular Victron 75/15 allow you to exceed the max input, but this may not be true for your controller.

All 3 panels must be in parallel - this is important.
    Eggie.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggie For This Useful Post: