Looking for handyman to help prepare my car for overlanding trip

Default Looking for handyman to help prepare my car for overlanding trip

Hello Everybody,

I am planning an overlanding trip from cape Town to Ethiopia over the next several months. I was hoping to find somebody who may help me with some basic work around my Land Rover Series III. I am not really looking for a professional mechanic, but some handyman person who is generally not afraid of working on his car, would be just perfect. I could pay a little money, but my resources are limited.

I am in Brackenfell.

Thank you

Default Re: Looking for handyman to help prepare my car for overlanding trip

If you're taking a Series III to Ethiopia, you need a bit more than a handyman. We took a Series IIA (1969 model) to Ethiopia in 1994, and the only reason we made it there and back is that I am a more than proficient Landy mechanic. I would recommend finding a Series fundi and paying them to go over the vehicle in detail, with you as the apprentice following everything they do - that is what I did. A possible person would be Garth Richter in Little Mowbray, 021 689 1965. But he will not charge handyman rates. He is very good.
    You could also speak to someone like Gary Frank on the forum - 082 550 9200.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2016/12/01 at 12:55 AM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    If you're taking a Series III to Ethiopia, you need a bit more than a handyman. We took a Series IIA (1969 model) to Ethiopia in 1994, and the only reason we made it there and back is that I am a more than proficient Landy mechanic. I would recommend finding a Series fundi and paying them to go over the vehicle in detail, with you as the apprentice following everything they do - that is what I did. A possible person would be Garth Richter in Little Mowbray, 021 689 1965. But he will not charge handyman rates. He is very good.
    You could also speak to someone like Gary Frank on the forum - 082 550 9200.
    Hi Tony,

Thank you very much for your tips. I need to add my side of the story, however. As a matter of fact, I already crossed Africa from its northern tip in Tangier (Morocco), all the way to Cape Town, with that same car. Now, the person who was taking care of the car mechanics (not me) had 0 experience as a car mechanic. It was however, a motivated, courageous handyman person who was never afraid of trying. We certainly had plenty of issues, but we were able to make it through. Unfortunately, that person had to leave once we arrived to Cape Town and is no longer with me.

I really think I need somebody with patience, who may be able to spend some time walking me through some basic concepts. I need somebody who may help me and I can learn from, because I will be on my own once I am on the road.

Thank you again for the tips.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e-gearbox-back

Dude you are clinically blind, have you ever heard of the saying "You can take a horse to water, but you cant make it drink"?

I'm sorry for your predicament but you would be more of a hindrance when it comes to carrying out repairs.....

BTW. You owe me R1708.00 for my time and traveling......I wouldn't have to post it here if you had the decency to answer your phone.
    Last edited by GaryFrank; 2017/01/14 at 03:10 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaryFrank For This Useful Post:

Oops, let me get the bacon sizzling....fresh juice and the morning papers.....
    Last edited by duncang; 2017/01/14 at 06:28 AM.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

Quote Originally Posted by monito View Post
    Hi Tony,

Thank you very much for your tips. I need to add my side of the story, however. As a matter of fact, I already crossed Africa from its northern tip in Tangier (Morocco), all the way to Cape Town, with that same car. Now, the person who was taking care of the car mechanics (not me) had 0 experience as a car mechanic. It was however, a motivated, courageous handyman person who was never afraid of trying. We certainly had plenty of issues, but we were able to make it through. Unfortunately, that person had to leave once we arrived to Cape Town and is no longer with me.

I really think I need somebody with patience, who may be able to spend some time walking me through some basic concepts. I need somebody who may help me and I can learn from, because I will be on my own once I am on the road.

Thank you again for the tips.
    You ask for a handyman. You got a handyman. Then you complain......

Or was it a handy-girl... The one who also wants the Landy
    Last edited by 2beFree; 2017/01/14 at 04:51 PM.

lees ek reg?
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Sell the Landy and buy a ticket back home.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

This ^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Sell the Landy and buy a ticket back home.
    He won't get they money, especially if the thing don't start.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.

That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

" I could pay a little money, but my resources are limited."

So you want charity?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

A question, if the (clearly cheap) handyman can't fix the problem, what then? Are you going to drop him, not pay him, sue him?

Rather make a plan to pay for a qualified mechanic to help, you'll save money on the long run and you will reach your destination. Up in Africa is not really where you want to get stuck.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.

That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JCMostert For This Useful Post:

LHD Santana, Perkins diesel, dodgy adapter plate, S2/S3 box, locked up solid, expired Carnet.......

Good luck trying to sell that puppy, I however, could make it vanish......

Dude operates on freebies, couch-surfer...
    Last edited by GaryFrank; 2017/01/14 at 09:52 PM.