Iveco Camper - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Iveco Camper

Default Re: Iveco Camper

Hi Pieter
    Great setup you have there!
    I see you have attached what looks like an awning below the window (and one high up?)
    I am busy with a motorhome build and also have rather spec'd the awning to be below the windows as I felt high up the shade would not fall where you need it to be.
    Any suggestions regarding this?

Pieter, an amazing build . Some nice ideas . I have one built by AC Motorhomes . Suspension needs major upgrading for the weight .Weight is an serious issue . Keep it light . Lower awning works well .I have stayed away from spacers and new tyres . Sidewalls don't like narrow tracks in Kgalagadi and Moremi .Happy travels and buids to all . Its a fantastic vehicle Regards

Hi thanx all

As Gojo said weight is a major issue, all tanks need to be low as possible and midships, if the MH is extended to its allowable maximum, the overhang mass must be managed. Proper air suspension is a must, I have double Via-air compressors built in with 25L holding tank, I moved the clean air pickup for the compressors into the inner cab footwell of the passenger back door, dust is a sure killer of these very capable units.

I can probably write a thesis on Iveco wheels & tyres .aftermarket aluminium-weight rated wheels, cast or forged, with the correct PCD=170mm, Centre bore=130mm, acorn wheel nuts, front wheels shorter length studs, true bead lock rims vs no bead lock, 6mm spacer on bead locks if you run 37" x 12.5 tyres, TPS has own valve....and so on and on, I had blanks machined in USA, Dennis from MH-world imports from Aus, 2 basic positives are weight gain of 20% per wheel and the of coarse the mean look! Tyres rated for speed and Q-status, 17" tyres with Q=121 must be used to handle the mass, 10 ply side walls...

I fitted 2 awnings, exactly as you said over the pull out-kitchen it makes no sense if it is 3.5 meters of the ground and covers 2.4 meter at full extension will give you no protection against rain or sun, if you have your entrance door and kitchen on the same side of he truck (why would you not) you need to have the other over the door, like a yacht cockpit, my reason for extending it to the big window is also to open the window and still have shade or some rain protection. Al awnings are 12v electrical with auto-wind retraction and no legs on the ground.

I lot of thought goes into a project like this, the more ideas the more fun you will have!

Mooiloop
    Pieter

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter Smuts View Post
    Hi Peter,

"Did you ever complete this Project? Is the Vehicle already Bush tested? What was your Final cost? Do you have any pics? I will be in the market come June '19 and am busy collating Information for my unit that I want constructed on a DC Daily! regards Peter"

Yes!! We did...have not done 'the roof of Africa yet!!' but thoroughly enjoyed KNP and local bush escapes. You can set up camp in less than 5 minutes, have all facilities whilst you drive, and even have a nap at a waterhole almost till gate close at the KNP.

Final cost was quite difficult to determine...I have a cheaper--my wife's cost--- and a more realistic cost of closer to R 2,2 Mil. Of coarse its horses for courses, the major direct costs went into solar, wiring , filtration & pumps, tanks and appliances. Nice to have's like central vacuum system, winch, self-levelling struts, air suspension, back motorbike hoist, sound system, wheels... exedra is your choice.

Please feel free to contact me as this was surely a fantastic inspiring and fulfilling experience!

Mooiloop Pieter

HI Peter

I am looking for alternative rims for my Iveco 4x4, the ones from MH world is very plain,
    not really what we look for, I also need 4 new Shocks...
    Any suggestions..
    Thanks
    Andre

Quote Originally Posted by OVERLANDER 515 View Post
    HI Peter

I am looking for alternative rims for my Iveco 4x4, the ones from MH world is very plain,
    not really what we look for, I also need 4 new Shocks...
    Any suggestions..
    Thanks
    Andre
    Hi Andre
    You either need to import blank wheels or have them "cut" at Method in USA. Remember the mass carrying capacity per wheel should be >2500kg. Forged vs cast is also an option, brought a set from USA 3500kg capacity, but one rim hair-size crack at flange base after one trip, had it welded up again but went back to cast Method set. I don't want to be around on a complete rim failure....

I don't trust spacers as some wheel sellers bring 6 x 18mm studs down to 6 x 14mm, some big Ford's are 8 x 14mm, a better proposition, but then I would prefer a 18" - 20" rim, reason is the massive Center-bore. The more material on a Alu rim the better, meaning no fine spokes...

What is the mass of your vehicle loaded?

Moibly Pieter

Saw this over the weekend at Von Bach dam. Looks very good and practicle. Name:  IMG_20200913_154508.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  73.5 KB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Erwin Schimper For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Schimper View Post
    Saw this over the weekend at Von Bach dam. Looks very good and practicle.
    Nice concept. It makes you very mobile when stationary, and not many mods are necessary to the vehicle itself.

I would miss the walk-through to the back from the cab. I suspect you will need a PrDP license for this rig.
    Mike Lauterbach

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4