Nissan Terrano II 2.7TDi to ZD30DDTI

Default Nissan Terrano II 2.7TDi to ZD30DDTI

My dad owns a 1999 Nissan Terrano II with the stock 2.7TDi engine, but now he wants more power out of it.

First we thought maybe a Lexus V8 conversion but that is way too much of a hassle, so now I'm here asking your advice.

I saw the Terrano II came with the ZD30DDTi engine stock overseas, and would like to know if it's worth it to do the swap.

The ZD is more fuel efficient(according to WikiPedia) and more powerful (130kw, 353N.m vs 92kw, 278N.m), but is the swap just a put in turn key, or what mods would you have to make to the Terrano to let it work.

Thank you guys in advance

Default Re: Nissan Terrano II 2.7TDi to ZD30DDTI

The zd won't be a turn key conversion, different injector pumps. The qd32tdi out of the terrano would be though. r22000 from the importers
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

But what would have done if i wanted more power...
    Get 3" ( or min 2 1/2") freeflow exhuast.
    Swop the turbo wastegate actuater vacuum line from before intercooler, to intakemanifold. And insert a boostcontroler on that line.

Add an EGT meter, and if he is still not happy, up fueling.

I've got a td27 with bigger turbo, pushing 1.4 bar boost, watercooled charge cooler with a golf radiater to cool the charge cooler watersystem.
    3" exhaust, boost controler.

It's got 1 bar boost from 1100 rpm, no need for a zd30

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Reenen For This Useful Post:

And the td27 is very easy to modify, I've done it all by myself with no formal know how of them. And their parts is dirt cheap

Nissan SA imported 4 (as far as I know) Terrano II 3.0Di's, all 5-dr from what I know. If I remember correctly from the old nissan4x4 forum it was two white ones, one silver and one blue. They are hen's teeth locally.

About a year or so ago I had a 63mm free flow exhaust installed on mine (normal TD27Ti) and that made quite a decent difference - I should have done that a lot earlier already! I still want to move the wastegate actuator hose as Reenen mentioned.
    Last edited by Skylinefreak; 2016/11/29 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt7777 View Post
    My dad owns a 1999 Nissan Terrano II with the stock 2.7TDi engine, but now he wants more power out of it.

First we thought maybe a Lexus V8 conversion but that is way too much of a hassle, so now I'm here asking your advice.

I saw the Terrano II came with the ZD30DDTi engine stock overseas, and would like to know if it's worth it to do the swap.

The ZD is more fuel efficient(according to WikiPedia) and more powerful (130kw, 353N.m vs 92kw, 278N.m), but is the swap just a put in turn key, or what mods would you have to make to the Terrano to let it work.

Thank you guys in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post
    But what would have done if i wanted more power...
    Get 3" ( or min 2 1/2") freeflow exhuast.
    Swop the turbo wastegate actuater vacuum line from before intercooler, to intakemanifold. And insert a boostcontroler on that line.

Add an EGT meter, and if he is still not happy, up fueling.

I've got a td27 with bigger turbo, pushing 1.4 bar boost, watercooled charge cooler with a golf radiater to cool the charge cooler watersystem.
    3" exhaust, boost controler.

It's got 1 bar boost from 1100 rpm, no need for a zd30
    I have to agree with Reenen here.

If you really want to go the route of engine swap for extra oomf, rather put in a QD32Ti and put the TD27ETI pump on the QD32Ti if you don't have the electronic pump of the QD32.

The differences between the injection pumps of the ZD30 and TD27ETI are vast, unless you can get a complete ZD30 Harness and ECU from a Patrol or Hardbody, depending if the engine is common rail injection or not.

Oh, and keep in mind if you have the thin gearbox (FS5W71C) which is standard from factory for TD27 and KA24DE HB, you will have to change to the fat gearbox (FS5R30A), unless the terrano is fitted with FS5R30A g-box.

The QD32/VG33 g-box no is VK311
    The ZD30 g-box no. is VK115

Only difference is 5th gear ratio.
    Last edited by natoburgoffer; 2016/11/29 at 08:54 AM.
    Nato

'13 Nissan Navara 2.5TDCI DC 4X4
    Ex '08 Nissan Hardbody 3.0 TD 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by natoburgoffer View Post
    The differences between the injection pumps of the ZD30 and TD27ETI are vast, unless you can get a complete ZD30 Harness and ECU from a Patrol or Hardbody, depending if the engine is common rail injection or not.

Oh, and keep in mind if you have the thin gearbox (FS5W71C) which is standard from factory for TD27 and KA24DE HB, you will have to change to the fat gearbox (FS5R30A), unless the terrano is fitted with FS5R30A g-box.
    basic bottom line

Stick with the TD27 and tweak as mentioned, or else buy an import QD32 and modify as mentioned.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Thank you all for your responses.

A free flow system was one of the first things we installed but I'll look into the actuator line and the boost controller.

I'm very grateful for all your answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt7777 View Post
    Thank you all for your responses.

A free flow system was one of the first things we installed but I'll look into the actuator line and the boost controller.

I'm very grateful for all your answers.
    explain free flow

the best thing for that engine is a 76mm pipe from the turbo to the back, no silencers
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Dis hoe myne is, totale lengte, 1m, net 1 135 grade elmboog, en een resonater wat basies net n sif met omhulsel is. As dit nie vir my Popeye biceps was nie, kon ek my arm deur hom druk.

I had a 1999 Terrano with the 2.7 motor and had a chip fitted (by SAC Centurion) at the same time as changing from 235/70 x 15s to 265/75 x 15s tyres - a whole 3 inches taller. I also raised the suspension 60mm.

The chip made a heck of a difference, I would say 20% more than standard if you disregard the bigger tyres and at least 7 - 10% with the bigger tyres on.

I fitted the chip at about 90,000 km and at 285,000 km got water in the tank and through the pump and injector, burning a hole in the no 1 piston. I replaced the motor with an identical Jap Import motor (R12k) and did another 50,000 km, still with the same chip.

Once, with the roofrack and RTT on top and loaded, through the Karoo I pushed it to 169 kph (GPS Speed) when its factory top speed is supposedly 158 kph. That 2.7 motor chipped runs like the clappers and they don't break (unless you get water in your fuel tank!)

I left the rack and tent on the roof and for the last 3 years used it exclusively for taking customers on Safari. In July I traded it for the 3.0 TDi Patrol GL, and just running the Patrol empty, it does not perform nearly as well as my old Terrano did. From low rpm, to putting foot on going uphill, the Terrano's chipped 2.7 outperforms the Patrol's 3.0 by a long shot.

Fuel consumption with RTT and loaded worked out at an average 13lt / 100 km on safaris, from tar roads to sand tracks, mud and water. Without RTT and on the highway the consumption was 10 lt / 100 km.

I wonder now that I read this, how much better it would have gone if I had fitted a 63 mm (or bigger) free flow exhaust! If I went to 76 mm as Jelo suggests it may have ruined my ample ground clearance......
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2016/12/06 at 04:36 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)