Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Knife sharpener

Default Re: Knife sharpener

I apologise if my posts offended. The OP asked for a product that I might be able to assist with. At the time of posting I hadn't realized that only non-commercial members may contribute to this thread. I will refrain from posting further on this thread.
    I'm gonna put a curse on you and all your kids will be born completely naked.

If you want a top quality knife sharpening set, contact albertvl (Aluwen) and get one like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2017 Amarok Extreme V6
    2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    2012 LR Puma 2.2
    2012 LR Puma 2.2 D/c
    2011 LR Puma 2.4
    1976 LR Series 3
    1971 LR Series 2A

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bosvark Kzn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bosvark Kzn View Post
    If you want a top quality knife sharpening set, contact albertvl (Aluwen) and get one like this.
    That is a normal old fashion whetstone that works best. In a nice holder.

Sharpening a knife is like making love. It can't be hurried.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Stoffel For This Useful Post:

I have a thing about blunt knifes, hate it and a bit fanatycal about sharp knifes
    I got the Warthog Multi edge, http://knifesharpners.co.za/product-...ry/multi-edge/.
    Comes with a diamond stone and leather strop with impregnated compound.
    I have used the Lansky sharpner for many years and got decent results, but nothing like the multi edge
    I sharpen my knifes on the diamond stone to get a perfect bevel and then strop them frequently.
    Perfectly smooth edge, not gouging and passes the paper cut test time and again.
    My next by will be a decent strop and various compounds.
    Nothing like a strop to sharpen and polish a blade.

Ok, nothing commercial or anything, I promise. Just wanted to contribute to the the idea of a strop because I am passionate about knife sharpening.

After sharpening my knife on whichever product, there are two things that I like to do:
    1. Fold a piece of paper around a smooth cylinder, if all else fails a pen might do but its not ideal. Stroke the blade away from you with the edge towards you on the paper to polish the cutting edge. (The poor man's version of a strop)
    2. After that you repeat the motion on the palm of your hand.

This works especially well with my Spec Bump (I don't sell those) because the blade curve follows the contour of your palm.

I am also a commercial member and a mod, wow double trouble, there goes the rest of the thread

This is one of my little indulgences, I like to cook mostly it is in self defense but sometimes, just sometimes, it works our pretty good. A blunt knife is something that irks me, my most expensive one is a warthog system in its rhodesian teak box, works very well, it is a wet stone with two different grades of stone and a leather strop to finish. Good solid old school stuff with a modern grip to the blade angle so it has to work.

The Lansky I have is a 3 stone one and can get the knife up to a good degree of sharpness but mu favorite is a spyderco unit. easy and gets a shaving sharp blade in the blink of an eye. Use it on the flats for straight blades or edge for serrated blades.

Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Nice thread, I especially like the levels of expertise.

Pesonally I don't like a blunt knife but thats for slicing a tomato or cutting a taster on the braai.
    Not sure about the whole edge polishing though.

Some of you are on a different level.
    4x4 less.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Brian1 For This Useful Post:

Spyderco SharpMaker.

Simple. Effective.

Keeps all my blades shaving sharp.
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

2012 Hilux 2x4 D/L
    A few basic mods.

My missus has a complete set of Wusthof kitchen knives that cost a fortune and, despite having every knife sharpening device that I can think of, the best is the Warthog V-Sharp. It's quick and keeps those blades razor sharp without taking off too much metal.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Geelvis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    I am also a commercial member and a mod, wow double trouble, there goes the rest of the thread

This is one of my little indulgences, I like to cook mostly it is in self defense but sometimes, just sometimes, it works our pretty good. A blunt knife is something that irks me, my most expensive one is a warthog system in its rhodesian teak box, works very well, it is a wet stone with two different grades of stone and a leather strop to finish. Good solid old school stuff with a modern grip to the blade angle so it has to work.

The Lansky I have is a 3 stone one and can get the knife up to a good degree of sharpness but mu favorite is a spyderco unit. easy and gets a shaving sharp blade in the blink of an eye. Use it on the flats for straight blades or edge for serrated blades.

Henk

Where do you gets strops and wetstones?

PS. nice mod variation on the multi edge

The best Knife Sharpener in the world in my opinion is the Tormek system from Sweden, you can sharpen scissors, knives, pocket knives, drillbits, Wood turning chisels and all other items, hollow punches Etv. They are quite expensive but last forever and could also bring an additional income, I inherited my first machine from my Grandad www.tormek.com

Tormeks are superbly awesome but forking R10k just for knives is not easy.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to carlp For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    Sorry Poen. Most people will never spend the effort and time required to truly master a whetstone/ oilstone followed by a strop. A steel is a great way to ruin an edge if you don't get it exactly right, I know, I have repaired many, many knives "sharpened" with a steel.

The easiest way by a million miles to sharpen a blade is to use the Work Sharp electric sharpener. The standard one is absolutely fine for keeping your kitchen knives up to scratch and you don't need to use anything but the finishing strop belt to do so once you have gone through the process of adding an edge with the courser belts, provided you haven't chipped the edge. It is also the ONLY way to sharpen super knife steels such as S35V or S90V within a reasonable timeframe. Think 5 minutes VS. 5 Hours and I know because I have all the fancy diamond stones and kits from Warthog, Lansky, Spyderco etc.

To the OP, you can spend thousands of rands over many years on all sorts of stones and kits or R2k once and then about R200.00 for every 100 odd sharpenings when purchasing a Work Sharp.
    Koebelwagen, I am old school. I was taught to use an oil stone when I was 16, and still uses it regularly for the kitchen knifes. I seem to recall the names Arkanas and Washita as oil stone names of some 55 years ago, just Googled it and see they are still going strong. I also own an EZE LAP diamond stone for my Wusthof, Zwilling, Victorinox and Kershaw cooking knifes which regularly get steel treatment. You say "A steel is a great way to ruin an edge if you don't get it exactly right, I know, I have repaired many, many knives "sharpened" with a steel." Well, I suppose I must then know what I am doing since my knifes comes razor sharp off the steel. I dislike these gadgets where no skill is required in sharpening a blade. Sure it works, but I prefer the old way. It is also interesting to see how many professional chefs, including world famous names, uses a steel on a daily basis.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Poen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1 View Post
    Nice thread, I especially like the levels of expertise.

Pesonally I don't like a blunt knife but thats for slicing a tomato or cutting a taster on the braai.
    Not sure about the whole edge polishing though.

Some of you are on a different level.
    Wish I had the patience and skill to achieve something like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thats an exceptional polished edge!

I am keen to get either the Lansky Professional kit(R885) or the Spyderco SharpMaker(R1140) - is the Spyderco worth the extra tin?? - any suggestions, I just want something decent for the pricy kitchen knives we just got.
    FJC - Just Cruising

I am useless at sharpening knives... But with persistence I use the Lansky and do OK. just to straighten the edge before using a knife I use my father's old steel, at least 60 years old. He was a wildlife vet and used stones and steels to sharpen his knives. It was a blur as his hand moved, and I am sorry I never got around to asking him to show me how.

I have just been given a Wusthof sharpener for Xmas, and after trying it on the cheap blades (which swambo has to use), it takes off a lot of steel, and no matter how lightly I pull the knife, it takes out minute little pieces out of the edge.

Any hints as to why?

Posters like Poen make me realise I need to set aside an afternoon to master sharpening on a whetstone.
    Last edited by alopias; 2017/12/27 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Spell check "corrections"

Thumbs up Re: Knife sharpener

i have one of these and it works mighty fine....

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Et1Zook For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nbpsman View Post
    I have a thing about blunt knifes, hate it and a bit fanatycal about sharp knifes
    I got the Warthog Multi edge, http://knifesharpners.co.za/product-...ry/multi-edge/.
    Comes with a diamond stone and leather strop with impregnated compound.
    I have used the Lansky sharpner for many years and got decent results, but nothing like the multi edge
    I sharpen my knifes on the diamond stone to get a perfect bevel and then strop them frequently.
    Perfectly smooth edge, not gouging and passes the paper cut test time and again.
    My next by will be a decent strop and various compounds.
    Nothing like a strop to sharpen and polish a blade.
    Warthog multi edge is fantastic.
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i Trailbuster
    Ironman Suspension
    40mm Body lift
    31x10.5x15 Cooper STTs

Having just read through this thread again it struck me that a burr is not mentioned anywhere. I suppose with the very expensive sharpening devices there is no need to remove a burr, because it is probably never formed.

On a knife edge a burr is formed when the very thin part of the cutting edge is bent over in the sharpening process. One tests for it by sliding the tip of your fingernail down the side of the blade towards the cutting edge. When you can feel a tiny ridge at the cutting edge it is a burr. It can easily be removed by sliding the sharpening device at the same sharpening angle away from the edge. Test both sides.

My knifes are OK when one can easily cut a sheet of newspaper whilst hanging the paper in a vertical plane.

I trust this will be helpful to the uninformed.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast