Knife sharpener - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Knife sharpener

Default Re: Knife sharpener

I read through this thread now... And I still don't know what to buy

I need something to sharpen the wife's Victorinox knives, but then also use the same sharpener for my fillet (fish) and hunting knives... The fillet (fish) and hunting knives you want to sharpen as you go on the spot... In other words, you don't really want an electric sharpener as you don't always have power where you clean your fish or skin your impala...

Or should I get 2 different sharpeners for the 2 different uses ??

Please advise....

2017 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 D/C 4X4 6 Auto Diesel
    Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide

Quote Originally Posted by SinWolf View Post

I need something to sharpen the wife's Victorinox knives, but then also use the same sharpener for my fillet (fish) and hunting knives... The fillet (fish) and hunting knives you want to sharpen as you go on the spot... In other words, you don't really want an electric sharpener as you don't always have power where you clean your fish or skin your impala...

Please advise....
    I just use a simple pull-through ceramic sharpener for straight blades. But then again, I don't buy premium stuff. BerlingerHaus and Schingen are the most expensive, the rest are normal catering supply store stuff.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

https://www.loot.co.za/product/globa...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

We use these for our Global knives. Amazingly sharp
    Gavin

Please advise....
    I use the Lansky Blade Medic Sharpener. Its small so it fits into my pockets or bag and is good for those top-up sharping of blades.

I only use the ceramic part.

https://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/p...edic-sharpener

Remember that every manufacturer put a different edge on their blades. I believe it is something between 18 and 22 degrees.

To do justice to a good knife you need to sharpen it at the manufacturers angle for best edge but that is a bit extreme.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    I use the Lansky Blade Medic Sharpener. Its small so it fits into my pockets or bag and is good for those top-up sharping of blades.

Remember that every manufacturer put a different edge on their blades. I believe it is something between 18 and 22 degrees.

To do justice to a good knife you need to sharpen it at the manufacturers angle for best edge but that is a bit extreme.
    Or spend plenty of time redoing the angle if you got it wrong the first time around. I once didn't notice that the two files on my VSharp were set at different angles. Boy, was that fun to fix afterwards.
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

6. The Following User Says Thank You to albertvl For This Useful Post:

Please advise....
    Test a few of your knives on a ceramic or porcelain mug- the best,cheapest and handiest quick-sharpener that everyone has at hand

turn the mug over on a surface , get a firm handle on your knife and angle, and sharpen your edge on the unglazed rim at the bottom of the mug.

If you are a knife fanatic with a collection of expensive blades, you know better already!
    "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

- Charles Bukowski

Have a Lansky kit for years but when wife asked me to sharper a victorinox serated knife I got a Lansky Spyder from Safari outdoor and I love its small size and versatility.
    4x4 less.

There is nothing that beats the Wicked Edge system, it is expensive.
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8 SW
    1994 Defender TDi 200
    -----------------------------
    Drive it like you stole it!!
    -----------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by JJ-Namibia View Post
    There is nothing that beats the Wicked Edge system, it is expensive.
    That is an under statement!
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Please advise....
    I was in the same boat 10 posts back, also for the five or so Victorinox knives.......I went with the VSharp that Et1Zook recommended - R550 well spent!!
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    That is an under statement!

Ouch!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

I am no knife expert - a steel works well for me and I can take it anywhere...

I make sure I am the only one that sharpens my knives but it does take time when you sharpen the first time...
    Ford Ranger
    Double cab
    Stock standard (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post

Also my GoTo kitchen sharpener. The little diamond needle file is really good for serrated knives.

A single swipe of the ceramic just before using every time keeps the knives super sharp. Most of my knives are Victorinox or WUSTHOF. Victorinox can go in the washup and the dishwasher. WUSTHOF only I use and then clean and pack away.

Also of the WUSTHOF sharpener.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2019/05/07 at 03:01 PM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    I was in the same boat 10 posts back, also for the five or so Victorinox knives.......I went with the VSharp that Et1Zook recommended - R550 well spent!!
    Walked over to Safari and Outdoor about 45min ago and bought the Warthog Vshap Classic II... Safari and Outdoor is next to our office building

2017 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 D/C 4X4 6 Auto Diesel
    Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide

Walked over to Safari and Outdoor about 45min ago and bought the Warthog Vshap Classic II... Safari and Outdoor is next to our office building
    Put it on the middle setting, works great, I don't even turn the 'stones' over for polishing any more.........15 strokes every now and again and the knives are well sorted!!
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    I am also a commercial member and a mod, wow double trouble, there goes the rest of the thread

This is one of my little indulgences, I like to cook mostly it is in self defense but sometimes, just sometimes, it works our pretty good. A blunt knife is something that irks me, my most expensive one is a warthog system in its rhodesian teak box, works very well, it is a wet stone with two different grades of stone and a leather strop to finish. Good solid old school stuff with a modern grip to the blade angle so it has to work.

The Lansky I have is a 3 stone one and can get the knife up to a good degree of sharpness but mu favorite is a spyderco unit. easy and gets a shaving sharp blade in the blink of an eye. Use it on the flats for straight blades or edge for serrated blades.

I have used many sharpeners (lansky, worthog etc) The Spyderco Sharpmaker is by far my favorite. Many people say it does not work for them, but they don't always understand or investigate why they can't get a hair popping sharp knife. I normally take a permanent marker and coat the edge of a new knife. Do a few strokes and see where it scrapes off the ink. If it only grinds the primary bevel and not the micro bevel then you would never get a sharp knife and people think it's the sharpener's fault and not theirs. It's all about the angle of the grind vs the angle you use to sharpen that particular blade.

Once you line up the angle of the grind with the angle of the sharpener it's pretty much fool proof with the Spyderco sharpmaker
    Toyota Hilux D/C D4D 4x4
    Mods:
    Bilstein Suspension
    Rear Diff Breather
    Safari Snorkel
    Rear axle air helpers
    Dual Batt system
    Long Range Fuel Tank
    Rock sliders
    Outback Rear Bumper
    Outback alu canopy

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrannaM For This Useful Post:

Warthog Classic 2, and if you can afford it, buy 2.

Set the first one to 20 degrees with the medium stone. 10 pulls

Set the second one to 20 degrees with the fine stone. 10 to 15 pulls to remove the burr.

Just a lazy way of getting a super sharp knife.

The reason for having two is you avoid having to turn over the stones after the first 10 pulls. Just a mission to do this.

With time when all is super sharp, 2 or 3 pulls on medium and 10 pulls on fine all you need.
    Karooview Cottages
    Prince Albert
    www.karooview.co.za

4x4 and Caravan Friendly
    Outdoor plug points

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LLTHB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    Sorry Poen. Most people will never spend the effort and time required to truly master a whetstone/ oilstone followed by a strop. A steel is a great way to ruin an edge if you don't get it exactly right, I know, I have repaired many, many knives "sharpened" with a steel.

The easiest way by a million miles to sharpen a blade is to use the Work Sharp electric sharpener. The standard one is absolutely fine for keeping your kitchen knives up to scratch and you don't need to use anything but the finishing strop belt to do so once you have gone through the process of adding an edge with the courser belts, provided you haven't chipped the edge. It is also the ONLY way to sharpen super knife steels such as S35V or S90V within a reasonable timeframe. Think 5 minutes VS. 5 Hours and I know because I have all the fancy diamond stones and kits from Warthog, Lansky, Spyderco etc.

To the OP, you can spend thousands of rands over many years on all sorts of stones and kits or R2k once and then about R200.00 for every 100 odd sharpenings when purchasing a Work Sharp.
    Hi Koebelwagen,

By pure co-incidence I happened to stumble upon this video.

I thought you may find it interesting.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Last year I took a piece of Tambotie wood to our local knife maker, and after seeing how quick and sharp he sharpens a knife on a belt sander I decided right there to built one.
    Now it is a pleasure to sharpen a knife, coming from a oil stone, then Lansky/Gatco and V-sharp(I gave them away).
    To slice through paper with a blade means nothing. Hold a piece of paper between thump and finger. Now take the blade and just press down on the paper with out a sliding action. It should cut into the paper with ease and without folding the paper over. Do it with the back, middle and tip.
    98 Hilux 2.8D D/C 4x4

Cost to build was less than R100 for the material.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1812 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	286.7 KB 
ID:	537738

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1840 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	323.2 KB 
ID:	537739
    98 Hilux 2.8D D/C 4x4

25. The Following User Says Thank You to wiel For This Useful Post: