Did you get stuck here?





Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    FL
    Age
    64
    Posts
    127
    Thanked: 83

    Default Did you get stuck here?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1735 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	424866
    We came upon this crossing spot along the Bodumatau Loop, Moremi, on October 2 this year. There was a lone license plate from SA as well as a lot of wood around, tire tracks , too, suggesting that some unlucky travelers may have gotten stuck there.
    We had a very peaceful lunch there and then I took the license plate home as a souvenir.
    If life is a journey, be sure to take the scenic route!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ghanzi, Botswana
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,938
    Thanked: 1040

    Default Re: Did you get stuck here?

    Hie Kalica
    It means I was there, just a day before you. I was there, by that crossing on the 1st October. That's where I found the 3.2 Auto New Ford Ranger drowned and pulled out and the guys telling so many stories how they got stuck. I guess that registration number belongs to that ford as I found the vehicle with no registration number.

    It seems the woods and fire belonged to a big truck, maybe a back up mobile safari truck that got stuck there, spending nights there. I have crossed that crossing several times, but this year, hhhmm I got a gut feeling it was deep. And also when I walk through the crossing, i felt some wood particles stuck into the ground and I just decided...its a NO NO....Check that....That's my link for the October Trip Report..http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ide?highlight=

    _______________________________
    2011
    VW Amarok BIturbo TDI 4Motion
    2019 Land Cruiser 79 4.2 S/C
    _______________________________

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    FL
    Age
    64
    Posts
    127
    Thanked: 83

    Default Re: Did you get stuck here?

    Hi there, how funny that I would get a reply to this post from the person who pulled out the truck this license plate belonged to! Where were the people from, did they tell you?
    what a bad decision to try and make this crossing! I guess it really cost them lots, with lost time and money.
    I also replied on your original thread. Really enjoyed those Xijni Lagoons lions. Also saw a huge herd of sable antelopes out there and they did NOT run away. Really jealous that you saw wild dog in Khwai, we did not. But had three beautiful male lions for a while drinking by the river.
    Cheers and thanks for your reply.
    If life is a journey, be sure to take the scenic route!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    East London
    Age
    48
    Posts
    965
    Thanked: 4241

    Default Re: Did you get stuck here?

    That's where I found the 3.2 Auto New Ford Ranger drowned and pulled out
    We always did a thorough walk through prior to making a decision whether to cross or not. A lot of time and money can be saved.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East London
    Age
    44
    Posts
    82
    Thanked: 14

    Default Re: Did you get stuck here?

    I did that crossing in July....was a pice of cake about 4km further was a crossing half the distance, didn't bother to inspect and went in "guns blazing" dropped straight into water upto the wipers....we drifted and came out ok....except for the water that came into the car threw the aircon vents.

    The wife wasn't amused.....we avoided water from then on.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    FL
    Age
    64
    Posts
    127
    Thanked: 83

    Default Re: Did you get stuck here?

    Quote Originally Posted by greg woodbridge View Post
    I did that crossing in July....was a pice of cake about 4km further was a crossing half the distance, didn't bother to inspect and went in "guns blazing" dropped straight into water upto the wipers....we drifted and came out ok....except for the water that came into the car threw the aircon vents.

    The wife wasn't amused.....we avoided water from then on.
    That's why I have veto rights at wet crossings. If I say no, it's a no go.
    If life is a journey, be sure to take the scenic route!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    39
    Posts
    654
    Thanked: 81

    Default Re: Did you get stuck here?

    Looks like the place where Oliver drowned on Top Gear
    Its not about how fast you are but about how quick you get there...


  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Die$eL For This Useful Post:


  9. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    70
    Posts
    6,915
    Thanked: 1059

    Default Re: Did you get stuck here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Die$eL View Post
    Looks like the place where Oliver drowned on Top Gear
    WTF is "Oliver" on TG?

    Jeremy - Richard and James - oh by the way, the drowning scene was from Khwai
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    41
    Posts
    379
    Thanked: 192

    Default Re: Did you get stuck here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    WTF is "Oliver" on TG?

    Jeremy - Richard and James - oh by the way, the drowning scene was from Khwai
    Oliver was the ancient Opel Kadett that Richard drove in the Botswana special. Across the Makgadikgadi..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I am a hypocrite but i try not to be..."

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Melville
    Age
    49
    Posts
    12
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Did you get stuck here?

    As n person with certain privilages in law enforcement...I did a reg check on that plate and can tell you that it belongs to a Nissan and it is from a rental company that is based in PTA...

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to antonxj For This Useful Post:


  13. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,421
    Thanked: 129

    Default Re: Did you get stuck here?

    Quote Originally Posted by KaliCA View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1735 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	424866
    We came upon this crossing spot along the Bodumatau Loop, Moremi, on October 2 this year. There was a lone license plate from SA as well as a lot of wood around, tire tracks , too, suggesting that some unlucky travelers may have gotten stuck there.
    We had a very peaceful lunch there and then I took the license plate home as a souvenir.
    We did that crossing on 4 November en route from Dead Tree Island to 3rd Bridge. We came across a drowned Ford Ranger with a KZN registration number. It had just been recovered. Engine had ingested water and cabin partially flooded. The driver probably did not walk the crossing and chose the wrong line about 2m to the right of the safe route. Somebody with a satphone was busy making recovery arrangements...

    Two years ago, we approached that crossing from the other side. The water level was a bit higher, but as soon as we started walking the crossing, we noted some very large crock tracks in the shallow bits. We could not see the depth of the water towards the other side and decided to turn around...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

    Hilux 3.0 D4D "Goldilocks" - Rigged for overlanding
    ORRA Callsign: X130
    Passionate about alternative energy

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Subok For This Useful Post:


  15. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    FL
    Age
    64
    Posts
    127
    Thanked: 83

    Default Re: Did you get stuck here?

    This crossing seems to swallow Ford Rangers only! See above.
    If life is a journey, be sure to take the scenic route!

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Umhlanga
    Age
    41
    Posts
    48
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: Did you get stuck here?

    Hi All,

    Seen as it was me that got stuck there I will humbly stick up my hand but at the same time clear up a few points . (The 3.2 with KZN plates).

    Tracks4africa brought us to the spot, it was my first time in Moremi, the app showed that we cross here.

    1) Due to a comedy of stuff ups leaving Maun we were running behind schedule and rushing like mad to try and get to 3rd bridge before dark. I did walk the crossing but on the left tyre track. When I went into the water with the car, there was a rut on the right track. This caused the right side of the car to dip below the air intake. I switched the engine off immediately, this decision would ultimately save my vehicle.

    2) We pulled the car out immediately with our second vehicle and setup camp.

    3) The next morning we all climbed into the second vehicle and left for south gate. Along the way we met a guy by the name of Desho. I'm still convinced he was an angel. He offered to return to Bodumatau the next day and work on the car and or recover it if necessary.
    I must add. When we woke up the next morning there was a double cab landcruiser that arrived at the crossing, it was a Bushlore rental with what appeared to be German drivers. They moved 2 meters to the left of the crossing (from 3rd Bridge side) and went through with no problem. The driver drove past us, gave us a thumbs up and continued with his trip! I'm not that well versed in Moremi "bush etiquette" but if the shoe was on the other foot I would have at least stopped to see if I could offer any assistance.
    I remember the amarok driver, they came across (walked) when we returned to our car the following day and asked if we were ok.

    4) We did not have a satellite phone and did not call from this spot for help.

    5) I don't want to run any chance of loosing my warranty so the story stops here. BUT the ending was a very happy one, after some "work" and a road side valet we continued with the trip after 3 nights in Maun, my car is 100% fine and the total bill was around R6000.00. I have since done about 5000km and the car is as new.

    In total there were 3 other Fords that went into the delta around the same time- ironically all from KZN. Mine is 100% fine, the second is a right off and the other had R100k damages. And no its not a Ford thing, there are just more people in SA driving Fords due to the high hi-jack and theft numbers of Toyota's.

    Moral of the story- don't rush in Africa! (oh and fit a snorkel)!!!
    Last edited by BotsBoy; 2016/11/28 at 12:59 PM.

  17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BotsBoy For This Useful Post:


  18. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    70
    Posts
    6,915
    Thanked: 1059

    Default Re: Did you get stuck here?

    Learning the hard way, my vehicles have snorkels since .....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03-Wrong choice.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	426451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05-Recovery plans.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	426452  
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ghanzi, Botswana
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,938
    Thanked: 1040

    Default Re: Did you get stuck here?

    Quote Originally Posted by BotsBoy View Post
    Hi All,

    Seen as it was me that got stuck there I will humbly stick up my hand but at the same time clear up a few points . (The 3.2 with KZN plates).

    Tracks4africa brought us to the spot, it was my first time in Moremi, the app showed that we cross here.

    1) Due to a comedy of stuff ups leaving Maun we were running behind schedule and rushing like mad to try and get to 3rd bridge before dark. I did walk the crossing but on the left tyre track. When I went into the water with the car, there was a rut on the right track. This caused the right side of the car to dip below the air intake. I switched the engine off immediately, this decision would ultimately save my vehicle.

    2) We pulled the car out immediately with our second vehicle and setup camp.

    3) The next morning we all climbed into the second vehicle and left for south gate. Along the way we met a guy by the name of Desho. I'm still convinced he was an angel. He offered to return to Bodumatau the next day and work on the car and or recover it if necessary.
    I must add. When we woke up the next morning there was a double cab landcruiser that arrived at the crossing, it was a Bushlore rental with what appeared to be German drivers. They moved 2 meters to the left of the crossing (from 3rd Bridge side) and went through with no problem. The driver drove past us, gave us a thumbs up and continued with his trip! I'm not that well versed in Moremi "bush etiquette" but if the shoe was on the other foot I would have at least stopped to see if I could offer any assistance.
    I remember the amarok driver, they came across (walked) when we returned to our car the following day and asked if we were ok.

    4) We did not have a satellite phone and did not call from this spot for help.

    5) I don't want to run any chance of loosing my warranty so the story stops here. BUT the ending was a very happy one, after some "work" and a road side valet we continued with the trip after 3 nights in Maun, my car is 100% fine and the total bill was around R6000.00. I have since done about 5000km and the car is as new.

    In total there were 3 other Fords that went into the delta around the same time- ironically all from KZN. Mine is 100% fine, the second is a right off and the other had R100k damages. And no its not a Ford thing, there are just more people in SA driving Fords due to the high hi-jack and theft numbers of Toyota's.

    Moral of the story- don't rush in Africa! (oh and fit a snorkel)!!!
    Hie Botsboy
    Yah that was me who was driving the Amarok. Thats why we crossed on foot and checked out how you were doing. Sorry about the Germans who gave you the thumbs up and passed. Thats not something that you find in most travellers, thats why we stopped and checked on you.

    Disho is a professional Guide running a very successful Mobile safari Called Bush Lark Safaris mostly based in Kasane and Maun. He is my friend. In fact most part of the conversation while we were charting with him there, was about snorkels and why his land Cruiser didnt have a snorkel. But glad your vehicle is OK....

    _______________________________
    2011
    VW Amarok BIturbo TDI 4Motion
    2019 Land Cruiser 79 4.2 S/C
    _______________________________

  20. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ghanzi, Botswana
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,938
    Thanked: 1040

    Default Re: Did you get stuck here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Learning the hard way, my vehicles have snorkels since .....
    Damn Walter, what happed. I did that crossing few years back when there was still water around September.I didnt have a snorkel. From your pictures,you crossed it on the left,almost straight across, coming from the Khwai village side, while I crossed it by using the deep right circling,from the Khwai village side too. Looks BAD...how did you recover the vehicle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

    _______________________________
    2011
    VW Amarok BIturbo TDI 4Motion
    2019 Land Cruiser 79 4.2 S/C
    _______________________________

  21. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    70
    Posts
    6,915
    Thanked: 1059

    Default Re: Did you get stuck here?

    Pat, I know the detour as well but was waiting for a safari vehicle (the one with no bonnet) cross and it looked impressive but straight forward.
    I got so impressed by the mass of water he pushed that I decided to go LOW 1, whereas I normally go LOW 2.

    The problem was that I tried to use the same line as the Cruiser but drifted a bit to the left where there was a hole and my bonnet just dropped.
    Unfortunately the side of the air intake and as I was slow the water reached the engine and stalled.

    I had to dive under the vehicle to unhook the trailer which we pulled with the guest vehicle to the Khwai side (where we came from).
    A cruiser puled my out to the Mababe side where I stripped the plugs, changed the oil and drove on to get it dried out at Maghoto.

    Little did I know that I will finish the safari do a return from Kasane to Maun all with bent con rods as they finally blew the engine to pieces on return in the Orapa area.

    I was driving that engine for another 1000 k,s with a bit of overheating and less power but the con rods looked more like bananas.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

  22. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    32
    Posts
    149
    Thanked: 37

    Default Re: Did you get stuck here?

    Im glad the ranger didnt die in the crossing. Good thinking to switch off the motor!! Ive heard of plenty horror stories and spoiled trips as a result of water and i generally try to avoid it for the most part.

    Its for these exact events that I'm considering a snorkel as well as breather pipe extentions. Lots of guys only fit snorkels and forget that the breather pipes might also need extentions to avoid water getting into the diff or gearbox.

    So far i havent attempted deep water crossings as many of the local trails dont have much water or I simply bypass the water. But i might need to cross some deep water one day when i am able to go on an adventure and with the amaroks air intake position you would be stupid not to consider it.
    2017 VW Amarok V6 Extreme

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •