Soft brake Pedal and No brakes

Default Soft brake Pedal and No brakes

Hi all

Got a technical Q, my brakes are spongy and slack. If I push brakes (at idle even) the pedal stops and then slowly goes down.

On hot days it seems to be more responsive, on cold days the pedal pressure appears gone? Does this make sense? My wife almost pranged when she recently used the car.

A topshot tech is coming to the dealership tomorrow as the dealership says nothing is wrong. But for me it's NOT normal and I've never had a car with such poor brakes - it might be that they now suddenly have pressure.

I mentioned it's almost like it has air in the system and needs bleeding as sometimes I find I have to pump them, but you don't always have time to pump when braking ;(.

I suspect Master Cylinder but dealership doesn't want to pay 12k on MY hunch...

Would a MC cause such erratic symptoms?

Help please?

I has a similar problem on one of my car once. Turned out to be a valve in the master cylinder which was worn and didn't seal properly. They reconditioned the master cylinder and problem solved. Given it was a '85 Toyota Carolla, so guarantee this is your problem or your solution.

'05 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS ​Groot
    '01 Rodeo 2.8 D/C SILVER BULLET
    Cape Town

I suspect Master Cylinder but dealership doesn't want to pay 12k on MY hunch...

Would a MC cause such erratic symptoms?

Help please?[/quote]

It has been about 10 years since I last serviced a master cylinder (cost me a few Kwacha for the kit, MUCH MUCH LESS THAN R100)... it sounds like that is the problem or at least the best place to start.

BUT... 12K for a master cylinder
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Yay!)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

My symptoms on the Toyota were:

If you presses the brake pedal in at a constant slow rate it just kept going and the brakes were not applied

In order to achieve breaking you needed to pump the breaks on the way down.

Had to do with the valve "leaking" pressure under constant slow pressure, when pumping it trapped the air intermittently and applied the calipers. Not sure if a recon is possible with modern systems like ABS, EBD & BS

Hope this helps to give a bit more clarity to the problem

'05 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS ​Groot
    '01 Rodeo 2.8 D/C SILVER BULLET
    Cape Town