Cherokee 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2.5 TD clutch / Aircon / No power

Default 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2.5 TD clutch / Aircon / No power

Good day All,

Thanks for a great site!!!

I recently bought a low mileage (165000), FSH 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2.5 TD. The Jeep is very well looked after and I want to keep it that way.

I need to replace the thrust bearing as it is noisy. The guys here told me I need to replace flywheel as well otherwise it will shudder. Is this true? They charge me over R11 000 to replace the clutch with the new flywheel. Can anyone refer me to a techie that can assist me and not charge an arm and a leg... The clutch kit from Midas is approx R3000.

Where else can i get spares for the Jeep? Can I fit any roof rack on it? Also looking for the spare wheel brackets to put the spare wheel outside on the back of the Jeep.

The air con also don't keep its gas, Apparently its leaking inside the car and the whole dash needs to be removed to get it fix. It sound like somebody wants to rip me off. Any ideas on what needed to be done?

Another problem is that it has NO power, on an uphill the speed drop to about 80 km. It was driving fine until i got the car valet. After that the problem started. Any suggestions on what could be the problem?

I am totally new here and to the Jeep community.

Looking forward to be part of the 4x4 community.

Regards

Theo

Default Re: 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2.5 TD clutch / Aircon / No power

Contact Bulli (on the forum). PM him and take it from there. He has a shop in Silverton and is well known (and respected) for his Jeep knowledge and service on the forum.
    Baa Baa Black Jeep
    2004 WJ Jeep 4.7 HO Overland

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ren For This Useful Post:

Thank you I will do..

Quote Originally Posted by Corvette1604 View Post
    Good day All,

Thanks for a great site!!!

I recently bought a low mileage (165000), FSH 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2.5 TD. The Jeep is very well looked after and I want to keep it that way.

I need to replace the thrust bearing as it is noisy. The guys here told me I need to replace flywheel as well otherwise it will shudder. Is this true? They charge me over R11 000 to replace the clutch with the new flywheel. Can anyone refer me to a techie that can assist me and not charge an arm and a leg... The clutch kit from Midas is approx R3000.
    R11k for the flywheel and the clutch sounds like a good deal compared to the R10k+ for my KJ's flywheel only. [edited: not recommended]. I'll have to go and see if Midas have a clutch for mine as well, because otherwise it's all from the agents. And it's expensive!

Where else can i get spares for the Jeep? Can I fit any roof rack on it? Also looking for the spare wheel brackets to put the spare wheel outside on the back of the Jeep. agents

The air con also don't keep its gas, Apparently its leaking inside the car and the whole dash needs to be removed to get it fix. It sound like somebody wants to rip me off. Any ideas on what needed to be done?
    Any decent place that services air cons will fill the system with fluid and a UV dye, they run the car for a bit and shine a UV lamp throughout to see where the leak is. If it's under the dash, it's going to be a mission. Rather drive with your windows open!

Another problem is that it has NO power, on an uphill the speed drop to about 80 km. It was driving fine until i got the car valet. After that the problem started. Any suggestions on what could be the problem?
    Any smoke or funny noises? It's either air related (restriction), turbo related (burst hose) or fuel related (but that would give you issues all the time). Check for water in the air box, disconnected or badly connected airflow meter, any loose plugs, anything abnormal around the turbo, etc... Not to sound too pessimistic, but I'm led to believe that these 2.5 diesel engines with the individual heads aren't the most reliable. You might as well check for pressure in the cooling system (due to exhaust gases) or mayo like deposits inside the oil cap. Does the car overheat? That would be a head gasket. Hopefully it's not that.

I am totally new here and to the Jeep community.

Looking forward to be part of the 4x4 community.

Regards

Theo
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    See my answers in red above.
    I'm guessing this is a XJ Cherokee? I have a KJ, the engines are different, but my advice should apply.
    Good luck.

edit: there is also a thread talking about Jeep mechanics in the Pretoria area here: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...8-Jeep-Techies
    Last edited by Forest Fab; 2016/11/18 at 09:09 AM.

current: 02 Jeep Cherokee 2.8 CRD swap, and a camping trailer
    previous: 97 Pajero LWB 3.5 V6, 99 Pathfinder R50 3.3 V6, 98 Defender 90 300 TDi bakkie

Hi. Well done. I have had the same vehicle for 12 years. Now done 200K. Only had two issues, walsh plug in head and entire aircon system replaced over time.
    Never runs hot, not even in Nam in January. Only time temp went to 100 was on the return journey from Afrika burn after two days riding in huge dust, going uphill with aircon, 4 occupants and trailer.
    Tapped out airfilter and all sorted.
    If a welsh plug corrodes, replace them all and fit best anti freeze available - I used BMW one.
    After 2 battery centre type units in two years, I switched to a BM battery as fitted to my 320d which had lasted 11 years. Currently running for 4 years in jeep and swings motor like a 1600 petrol!
    Whenever the engine is washed, ensure glow plug relay in top right of the bay does not get wet, as this once caused a starting issue after getting wet and corroded after car was parked for two weeks straight after getting wet.
    Only other components replaced were master cylinder (plastic) and extra leaf spring in rear. All else original, exhaust, shocks etc.
    Aircon components expensive, but I like aircon. Costs were
    - new evaporator and gas labour etc R7500 in 2009 (behind dash)
    - new compressor R5100 in 2012
    - compressor seal regas and labour R2300 in 2009
    HAs been to Moz, Nam, Richter, Kgaglagadi, dunes etc, and never let me down.
    Average 9-11 l/100km. Does over 1000km with its 110 litre tank.
    I know most of the guys on the forum don't like them, but I love mine.
    I must admit that I would think twice about rebuilding entire motor should it ever need it, but about 4 years ago a compression test was spot on and it still pulls amazingly (1700kg and 300nm) so it should be adequate.
    Cruises best around 110kph which is sufficient, as compared to my BM the brakes are lousy.
    Find a good workshop and stick with them, but services are easy and cheap to do yourself.
    Good luck with issues.
    2000 Cherokee 2.5TD