Caravan camping in Northern KZN.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Caravan camping in Northern KZN.

I'm hoping to get away to Northern KZN for 7 to 10 days in late September or October. I'd probably look at taking 2 days to get there while doing some sightseeing on the way.
    Has anyone done a similar trip as to what I'd like to do? We'll be towing the caravan down and would like to set up a base camp in a good area and do day trips from there.
    Any advice is welcome.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

Default Re: Caravan camping in Northern KZN.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    I'm hoping to get away to Northern KZN for 7 to 10 days in late September or October. I'd probably look at taking 2 days to get there while doing some sightseeing on the way.
    Has anyone done a similar trip as to what I'd like to do? We'll be towing the caravan down and would like to set up a base camp in a good area and do day trips from there.
    Any advice is welcome.
    Years ago I camped in Mtunzini, still using a tent in those days. The camp site was OK but not the greatest. It was long ago though. Irrespective, I love Northern Natal. Especially Mtunzini and surrounds. Definitely worth a visit if you can find a nice caravan park. Also, there are great game reserves on your route there.

Drive: Nissan Hardbody DC TD 16V 2007
    Camp with: Jurgens Xplorer 2010 with a couple of mods

How far north are you going? Our favorites are Falsebay near Hluhluwe and Mkuze, Also Cape Vidal is awesome (just be careful fishing or swimming please). Even Richardsbay caravan park is lekker out of season.

Also have a look at amatikulu, extremely basic but fun, might be a bit tight for caravan
    Last edited by Gifmonster; 2019/06/05 at 03:40 PM. Reason: adding
    Our Travel and Photography blog- https://twotracks.co.za

The Beast - 2005 Toyota Hilux D/C 4L with freeflow

Daily Drive- Girlfriends Honda Jazz

Quote Originally Posted by Gifmonster View Post
    How far north are you going? Our favorites are Falsebay near Hluhluwe and Mkuze, Also Cape Vidal is awesome (just be careful fishing or swimming please). Even Richardsbay caravan park is lekker out of season.

Also have a look at amatikulu, extremely basic but fun, might be a bit tight for caravan
    It must be out of season so I have to check the school holidays around that time. The Hluhluwe area is where I've been looking but am battling to find up to date information.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi

sugar loaf camp site in st lucia has just had a revamp and that is the perfect bases camp for the areas you talking about with plenty to see and do if you dont want to go far for the day, vidal has most of the game you want to see excluding lions

Agree with vidalbum about Sugarloaf in St Lucia. As a bonus you will hear the hippos at night or drive "into" them on the way back from town in the evening...Cape Vidal great but you are far from everything else so St Lucia nice & central.
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4

Not our best time of the year, very windy.
    You can camp at Mtunzini, Cape Vidal and as mentioned False Bay, but rather work your way up to Mkuze and than on the way home to Ithala
    Seen that you look like a birder,game viewer, avoid R/Bay.

I have heard from some sources that the new park manager of Umfolozi, are investigating the possibility of camping site in the park.Cannot understand why the old brigade of NPB, never had camping facilities there, a fatal flaw by the old guard
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T5 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

It must be out of season so I have to check the school holidays around that time. The Hluhluwe area is where I've been looking but am battling to find up to date information.
    We don't camp with a caravan but Bonamanzi or Bahati are popular venues for them I have seen and noted. It is close enough to Mkhuze or Sodwana for a day trip and also St Lucia/ Cape Vidal, the Hluhluwe/ iMfolozi reserve is on your doorstep.

Edit: By the way, Richards Bay has enough bird species to keep you busy Paul if ever in the area.
    Last edited by Riaan van Wyk; 2019/06/06 at 08:19 AM.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    We don't camp with a caravan but Bonamanzi or Bahati are popular venues for them I have seen and noted. It is close enough to Mkhuze or Sodwana for a day trip and also St Lucia/ Cape Vidal, the Hluhluwe/ iMfolozi reserve is on your doorstep.

Edit: By the way, Richards Bay has enough bird species to keep you busy Paul if ever in the area.
    Thanks for the replies so far. Birding isn't a big thing for me but I do enjoy all nature and wildlife. The aim is to get away from it all for a few days and explore a different part of the country.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi

Some pics from a recent trip trip past Bahati in Hluhluwe. Friends of mine were there the weekend and also said it is a great place.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/313354-Bahati-Caravan-Park-Quick-camp-pics

Not being sure of what kind of caravan you are towing ..... but I personally would not miss the campsite at Ithala. (There is an alternative route for caravans I think)
    Check with Leeubok on this forum.
    He is the resident entomologist (I think?) there,
    Anyway he is resident there in an official capacity so will be able to give you good advice and directions.

If into that then there is the Bivani 4x4 track as a bonus - Eish NOT with the caravan though! Leave it at the campsite!!

Nearer to Umfolozi is also Bushbaby Lodge which has self catering and a small campsite - basic and with a bit more comfort - as mentioned by Riaan there is Bonamazi - not been there myself as yet but have heard good reports.
    A good base to visit Hluhluwe / Imfolozi G R.

Then there's Mkuze G R
    If going further north there is Ndumo, Shamula and Tembe. (I don't think Tembe has camping though) and does have deep sand to contend with - again not knowing what you will be towing or towing with - may not be practical.

A great area.
    Nothing wrong with Richards Bay caravan park - but that is what it is - a caravan park more or less near town - I would say younger family orientated.
    But security seems to be good.

The coastal places such as False Bay and Vidal can be very windy.

It all depends on what YOU are really looking for.

I am very sure that there are others that I have forgotten to mention!

Hope that helps some.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    Not being sure of what kind of caravan you are towing ..... but I personally would not miss the campsite at Ithala. (There is an alternative route for caravans I think)
    Check with Leeubok on this forum.
    He is the resident entomologist (I think?) there,
    Anyway he is resident there in an official capacity so will be able to give you good advice and directions.

If into that then there is the Bivani 4x4 track as a bonus - Eish NOT with the caravan though! Leave it at the campsite!!

Nearer to Umfolozi is also Bushbaby Lodge which has self catering and a small campsite - basic and with a bit more comfort - as mentioned by Riaan there is Bonamazi - not been there myself as yet but have heard good reports.
    A good base to visit Hluhluwe / Imfolozi G R.

Then there's Mkuze G R
    If going further north there is Ndumo, Shamula and Tembe. (I don't think Tembe has camping though) and does have deep sand to contend with - again not knowing what you will be towing or towing with - may not be practical.

A great area.
    Nothing wrong with Richards Bay caravan park - but that is what it is - a caravan park more or less near town - I would say younger family orientated.
    But security seems to be good.

The coastal places such as False Bay and Vidal can be very windy.

It all depends on what YOU are really looking for.

I am very sure that there are others that I have forgotten to mention!

Hope that helps some.
    Thanks for the info Peter. I'll be towing our Jurgens Xplorer with the Disco 2 Td5.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi

Once you have decided where to go let me know Paul? I am often out and about in the area and can pop around and say howdy. Maybe show you around a bit also.

Once you have decided where to go let me know Paul? I am often out and about in the area and can pop around and say howdy. Maybe show you around a bit also.
    Thanks Riaan I will give you a shout.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi

Quote Originally Posted by Gifmonster View Post
    Unfortunately Amatikulu doesn't really exist anymore - gate open and unmanned, no office anymore, cows feeding everywhere...

Hi Riaan. Looking good for 4 or 5 days at Bush Baby from the 12th October. This will be base camp for the caravan and we will explore the area from there. From there we will move down to Salt Rock for a couple of days before heading back to Jo-burg. Now to start planning and looking at what to do while we are in the area. Any recommendations will be appreciated.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi

Hi Riaan. Looking good for 4 or 5 days at Bush Baby from the 12th October. This will be base camp for the caravan and we will explore the area from there. From there we will move down to Salt Rock for a couple of days before heading back to Jo-burg. Now to start planning and looking at what to do while we are in the area. Any recommendations will be appreciated.
    Hluhluwe Imfolozi game reserve for sure.... Bonamanzi and Mkhuze are way better camping options INMHO ...and Allens Butcher for meat supplies.

Salt Rock is great...

Quote Originally Posted by Finn McCool View Post
    Hluhluwe Imfolozi game reserve for sure.... Bonamanzi and Mkhuze are way better camping options INMHO ...and Allens Butcher for meat supplies.

Salt Rock is great...
    Thanks for the suggestion Finn. I'm battling to get info on camping in Mkhuze as you suggested.
    Can you point me to a website that will give me the info.

Thanks
    Paul.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi

Thanks for the suggestion Finn. I'm battling to get info on camping in Mkhuze as you suggested.
    Can you point me to a website that will give me the info.

Thanks
    Paul.
    Hi Paul, have been thinking about your trip and am starting to think that you must rather use Mkhuze as your base..as Finn also suggests. The reserve is stunning, plenty game and the hides and roads are top notch. So is the bird life. The campsite is lovely and is one of my favourite places in KZN.

Mkhuze will provide you with a proper bush experience, whereas Bonamanzi/ Bahati et al while nice and good, are perhaps a tad too "commercial" and if one thinks about it there is only Hluhluwe Game Reserve as the main attraction, which is huge and will need time to explore.

Camping at Bonamanzi is very good ask for 17 or 18, when are you planning on doing the trip, I would also suggest Sugarloaf at St Lucia for camping and caravaning
    I found Mkuze disappointing, but they apparently have a new manager who is getting it into shape..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast