Zululand Travels and Pictures - Page 3

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 28 ... LastLast

Default Re: Zululand Travels and Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Ian.McM View Post
    I wonder how many necessary casualties and how many to satisfy Chelmsford's need for revenge?

Mind you, different standards and attitudes in those days.
    Ironic thing is that this "final battle" is not the one that eliminated the Zulu Royal Household, but the British liked to believe so.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Shemula View Post
    Thank you Riaan I have been resident in Zululand since 1972 north, south, east and west and I would hate to stay anywhere else. your photos bring back memories from many a year gone by.
    It is my pleasure oom Ernie, you and my dad are fortunate to have seen a much wilder Zululand in the early days.

I managed to get the book:- "Zululand True Stories, 1780 to 1978" off the internet.
    Hard cover and signed by the author.

Great book full of interesting short factual stories.

I'm from Durban originally and "Zululand" was my stomping ground for many years for repping to all the sugar mills, saw mills, Alusaf, RBM etc.
    Your mind is your strongest weapon.
    Then there's.....POWER TOOLS!
    '94 LC 80 GX
    '00 Frontier 280DT 4X2
    2002 Sprite Surfer Nomad

Quote Originally Posted by steamer View Post
    I managed to get the book:- "Zululand True Stories, 1780 to 1978" off the internet.
    Hard cover and signed by the author.

Great book full of interesting short factual stories.

I'm from Durban originally and "Zululand" was my stomping ground for many years for repping to all the sugar mills, saw mills, Alusaf, RBM etc.
    I also have one of those. Must ask JC to sign my copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    Ian, I managed to find on the interwebs last night an overview of the gold rush that took place in Zululand, see attached PDF and refer to page 67 "The Denny Dalton Gold fields" which tells the story.

My previous reference to this has been TV Bulpin's book, Shaka's Country in which he also writes about the rush. He has the following to say about the Mfongosi rush which perhaps explains why it is rumored Thomas Denny died of sheer disappointment after the poor results of the mine..

ďBy December 1886 Mfongosi was a rowdy village of fifty shacks; a number of stores, like Fordís Osborne Store, a few hotels and canteens, like Fryís hotel, the Pioneer Hotel, H&T Daviesís Gumtree Hotel; and the establishments of several tradesmen, like Harperís bakery.
    An even more remarkable thing about Mfongosi was itís rate of growth. By March 1887 the town consisted of two hundred shacks, with four hotels and many shops lining a main street which was assuming impressive proportions. There was even a soda-water manufactory commencing business.Ē
    During 1887 the first crushing took place ( there were by then about twenty mills in the area with about 700 prospectors combing all the valleys) that this whole settlement banked upon. It came to nothing, there was no gold to be found. Bulpin writes about how this event affected the town:
    " By November 1887, Mfongosi was a ghost town with deserted shacks, hotels and shops. Expensive machinery was abandoned to the mambas, the shops were given to the rats. The club was closed and the Indian waiters made tracks to other parts, the tennis court had it's first weeds, and by the river, beneath the trees, a spirit named hope sat with it's head on it's knees and wept."

TV Bulpin , Shaka's Country
    Absolutely fascinating! Thanks. I will send a link to this thread to my cousin who is the professional historian in the family. She grew up in Melmoth on the family farm.

2015 Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit M/T

Default Zululand Travels and Pictures

" ... and by the river, beneath the trees, a spirit named hope sat with its head on its knees and wept."

TV Bulpin , Shaka's Country
    [/B]
    Beautiful. Sad, but beautiful.
    Last edited by Fat_Bastard; 2016/11/23 at 05:39 AM.

Default Zululand Travels and Pictures

I also have one of those. Must ask JC to sign my copy.
    Hi Riaan

Love your thread.

I am also in Richards Bay - have been since 1971. I grew up with Doc JC just across the street (he worked at Alusaf, with my dad) and his four daughters and I have been friends since then. He comes to our shop regularly, so if you want to drop the book off at the Elephant & I, I can have it signed for you next time he is there. Then again, maybe you are big buds!

He has just turned 80, so best you make haste ... ;-)

Willem
    Last edited by Fat_Bastard; 2016/11/23 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat_Bastard View Post
    Hi Riaan

Love your thread.

I am also in Richards Bay - have been since 1971. I grew up with Doc JC just across the street (he worked at Alusaf, with my dad) and his four daughters and I have been friends since then. He comes to our shop regularly, so if you want to drop the book off at the Elephant & I, I can have it signed for you next time he is there. Then again, maybe you are big buds!

He has just turned 80, so best you make haste ... ;-)

Willem
    Thanks Willem. No we aren't mates, only had long telephonic discussions with him while I was living in Melmoth regarding things in the area.

We got to Empangeni in 1980, we had been living at Ntambanana where my dad was the SAPS station commander from 1976.

All good. As jy weer in Richardsbaai is, kom drop die boek by die winkel - dan maak ons 'n plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat_Bastard View Post
    All good. As jy weer in Richardsbaai is, kom drop die boek by die winkel - dan maak ons 'n plan.
    Dankie Willem, ek waardeer. Probleem is ek vermy die Boardwalk met 'n passie, was seker drie jaar laas daar en dis omdat ek moes iets daar gaan doen. Sal dit vir die Blondine gee, sy boer daar rond gereeld. Vertel altyd vir my hoe heerlik julle kos is.

Hi Riaan,

Is that little hospital called Ubombo Hosp. or maybe Bethesda Hosp. still up on top of the mountain outside Mkuze?
    I remember well that road winding up for many kilometers. Of course I had the best off-road vehicle of the day ( early 80's).
    A company car!!
    Is that book:- Child Slavery in SA 1837-1887, also by JC worth getting?
    It seems to be about little known history of Zululand.
    Your mind is your strongest weapon.
    Then there's.....POWER TOOLS!
    '94 LC 80 GX
    '00 Frontier 280DT 4X2
    2002 Sprite Surfer Nomad

A common sight in the wetter areas of Zululand is the "Fever tree" - Acacia xantaphloea. The name derives from the early settlers/ travelers who invariably contracted malaria while roaming the swamp lands and mistakenly thought it was the trees that were causing them to get ill, not realizing where the Fever trees grow mosquito's also lived. The common name in isiZulu is umKhanyakude which means "shine from afar" - the term umHlosinga is also used.

Interesting thing is that the tree often has a "sacrificial" limb that is busy dying, due to it often growing in poor nutrient ( swampy) soil it transfers the harmful salts to a certain limb so as to not affect the whole tree.

The local people believe if you make a paste from the bark and rub yourself with it women will see you first in a crowd of men- there is a caution when using this to not go near any rivers as crocodiles will accordingly catch you first.

Attached pic is from the Nkwaleni Valley, between Empangeni and Eshowe.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by steamer View Post
    Hi Riaan,

Is that little hospital called Ubombo Hosp. or maybe Bethesda Hosp. still up on top of the mountain outside Mkuze?
    I remember well that road winding up for many kilometers. Of course I had the best off-road vehicle of the day ( early 80's).
    A company car!!
    Is that book:- Child Slavery in SA 1837-1887, also by JC worth getting?
    It seems to be about little known history of Zululand.
    The hospital is still there as well as the crappy road. If you go through Ubombo the gravel road leads on to join the one from Jozini to Mbazwane. Lovely sunrise views from the top of Ubombo!

Any history book is worth getting!
    Last edited by Riaan van Wyk; 2016/11/23 at 08:11 AM.

Exellent photos, always a point of interest. thx for sharing.
    Isuzu KB300 DTEQ D/C 4x4
    Bushbaby offroad trailor

Wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
    Do not disappoint a person who holds a good opinion of you, and do not make him change his opinion.

On top of the Lebombo Mountain range, looking down into Swaziland and towards the Golela Border post.

Hi there Riaan

Thank you for this thread and please keep it coming. Awesome pictures and I love the stories behind the pictures.

Although not from that region about 10 years ago we decided to visit Kosi Bay during a December holiday. We totally fell in love with that area around the lakes and more specifically around lake 3 and Banga Nek down towards Sodwana.

Unfortunately it seems that the influx of visitors with 4x4s has spoilt the area a little and from what I heard there were/are plans for the parks board to take over the control of that area and that all the "community camps" will be closed down ...

Thank you and please keep on posting.
    Disco 4 SDV6 SE
    1976 Series 3 109 PUP 2.6l
    BMW R 1200 GS

Riaan how many people have stood on the mountain near Ubombo overlooking the Makatini flats and seeing both the Mkuze river and the Pongola river and then realizing the one runs into the St Lucia estuary (Mkuze) and the other runs into the Maputo harbor.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly AND FOR THE SAME REASON
    Save the rhino kill a poacher
    Dung beetles have right of way
    2006 DISCO 3 TDV6 HSE
    1998 Disco I V8 Bought it back Sold again.
    1973 Series IIA 109 (Jorrie)
    1974 Series III S/W modified Ford V6 Defender box. Body work (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Shemula View Post
    Riaan how many people have stood on the mountain near Ubombo overlooking the Makatini flats and seeing both the Mkuze river and the Pongola river and then realizing the one runs into the St Lucia estuary (Mkuze) and the other runs into the Maputo harbor.
    Not too many I guess oom Ernie.

On the shortcut from Nongoma to Hluhluwe, through the Makhowe area. Winter in Zululand.

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 28 ... LastLast