Show your Macro - Page 12

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Show your Macro

Default Re: Show your Macro

And that is exactly the reason one gets frustrated and buys a proper macro lens...
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    And that is exactly the reason one gets frustrated and buys a proper macro lens...
    What would be your proper Macro lens? I use a 105mm but wish I had a 180mm. But since I have never used a 180mm - I really dont even know if I am right.
    Ezzac

EHoffmann, what I mean with a proper macro lens is one where the aperture mechanism works through the camera. So that one does not have to manually change the aperture while trying to hold steady.

Macro lenses can (should/must?) typically be described by two parameters, being the focal length and the magnification. The two do not necessarily have anything to do with each other.

For example, as far as I know all current Nikkor lenses have a 1:1 maximum magnification. Therefore, a given bug will be the same size on the sensor with any of the current micro-Nikkor lenses when that lens is used at minimum focus distance. Within the Nikkor range therefore, the 60mm does not give you more or less magnification than the 180mm.

As for the focal length, this has four effects: firstly, the "minimum focus distance" (being the distance from the bug to the camera sensor) changes with focal length. Thus with a longer lens, you get your 1:1 magnification with the camera further away from the gogga. But the difference is not as great as one may expect, because firstly the lens itself is longer and secondly the lens hoods of longer lenses are often longer too. The second effect is that a given length of extension tube gives more magnification the shorter the lens is. Thirdly, the longer the lens is, the more shutter speed one needs to freeze camera shake. I find this a significant problem with my 180mm macro lens. A speed high enough to freeze my vibrations is higher than my flash sync speed. Lastly, the perspective changes, but I don't think this is significant within the range of macro focal lengths available.

I firmly believe that your 105mm is at the "sweet spot" in terms of macro length focal length. I know some guys prefer others, but I believe the 105 is the most common and popular for a reason.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    EHoffmann, what I mean with a proper macro lens is one where the aperture mechanism works through the camera. So that one does not have to manually change the aperture while trying to hold steady.

Macro lenses can (should/must?) typically be described by two parameters, being the focal length and the magnification. The two do not necessarily have anything to do with each other.

For example, as far as I know all current Nikkor lenses have a 1:1 maximum magnification. Therefore, a given bug will be the same size on the sensor with any of the current micro-Nikkor lenses when that lens is used at minimum focus distance. Within the Nikkor range therefore, the 60mm does not give you more or less magnification than the 180mm.

As for the focal length, this has four effects: firstly, the "minimum focus distance" (being the distance from the bug to the camera sensor) changes with focal length. Thus with a longer lens, you get your 1:1 magnification with the camera further away from the gogga. But the difference is not as great as one may expect, because firstly the lens itself is longer and secondly the lens hoods of longer lenses are often longer too. The second effect is that a given length of extension tube gives more magnification the shorter the lens is. Thirdly, the longer the lens is, the more shutter speed one needs to freeze camera shake. I find this a significant problem with my 180mm macro lens. A speed high enough to freeze my vibrations is higher than my flash sync speed. Lastly, the perspective changes, but I don't think this is significant within the range of macro focal lengths available.

I firmly believe that your 105mm is at the "sweet spot" in terms of macro length focal length. I know some guys prefer others, but I believe the 105 is the most common and popular for a reason.
    I think for us normal plebs - we stick to the "usual" stuff - 50mm, 60mm, 105mm, 180mm - but one day when I grow up - there is a WORLD of stuff out there. Peter - Bob Friedman uses this one sometimes - Schneider Macro Symmar HM 80mm f5.6, say about 32k... But I have to admit - his stacking photos are more appealing to me.

I never liked my (second last version) Nikon 105mm - in fact, my old Sigma produces at least similar, if not better photos. Have an old 105 manual focus one which is actually pretty nice.
    Ezzac

Janee, there are some magnificent lenses out there.

That 105 macro is a funny lens. Many love it, many hate it. My club's chairman has one as well. He was never very happy, until he sent it to Nikon for service and calibration about a year ago. Now it is fantastic. I think there may have been some assembly/QA issues with it.

I also had an old 105 manual-focus, but it only goes to 0.5 magnification, and since I also have a 55mm manual-focus (which is apparently the sharpest of all the Micro-Nikkors), I didn't use it much and eventually sold it.

My 180 is a Sigma, and is probably the sharpest lens I own. I am pretty sure it's sharper than my 500 f4. But the AF is useless... Doesn't matter for macro, but does mean that it doesn't really work for anything else. If not for that, I think it could have been a nice lens for outdoor portraits.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the discussion and clarity and opinions guys. I have the old 105 nikkor micro f2.8 af, the one where the front comes out of the barrel. That one is for sale but starting to doubt myself as I have been playing with it this lock down and it is really incredible. Sharpest so far.

But gf spoke and the because I have the new nikkor 105 f2.8 vr, I need to sell the old one, have not done a lot of macros with it yet, but the vr is for when we used it for wildlife and portraits. Need to test a lot more. (this was borrowed to a friend with the extension tubes for the lock down.

Then this locksdown I have been playing with a old pentax 50 macro 1:4 ( What does that mean on the old lenses?) Guessing f4? that says 1 to 4 times magnification? (Screw mount with adaptor). Loving being close and the bokeh.

And a panagor slide duplicator no f but guess about f10 , says 1 to 2.5 times magnification. (Also screw mount with adapter). This is the winner magnification wise but not user friendly and not being able to adjust the f and being literly 1cm front of lens from target.
    Our Travel and Photography blog- https://twotracks.co.za

The Beast - 2005 Toyota Hilux D/C 4L with freeflow

Daily Drive- Girlfriends Honda Jazz

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9631.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	344.7 KB 
ID:	569785
    Got this 3mm spider but he/she was not willing to play model.
    Took about 100 shots, left with 4 of which not one is really good.
    AND Retired

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BirdRanger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BirdRanger View Post

Name:	IMG_9631.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	344.7 KB 
ID:	569785
    Got this 3mm spider but he/she was not willing to play model.
    Took about 100 shots, left with 4 of which not one is really good.
    Nice shot, except it looks like an ant!
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Nice shot, except it looks like an ant!
    Yes looks like ant, maybe here you can see the 8 legs and extra eyes.

Name:	IMG_9635.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	313.9 KB 
ID:	569796
    AND Retired

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BirdRanger For This Useful Post:

I see the eyes now, looks like it is adapted to look lije an ant! Clever!
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

They are called ant mimic spiders. Nice capture!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Ant spider master of mimicking, it fooled you so that is how well they do it
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Nudibranch (Tenelia) from our diving trip to Sodwana just before LD. There are some really weird and beautiful things underneath the water

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Man View Post

Nudibranch (Tenelia) from our diving trip to Sodwana just before LD. There are some really weird and beautiful things underneath the water
    Sea creatures are totally under-rated as people really dont realise how truly beautiful life is in the ocean. Nudibranchs are stunning.
    Ezzac

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EHoffmann For This Useful Post:

I settled on the 100mm focal length, agonized at length over the 180mm and MPE65 lenses but settled on something that can do duty for other things also, like a seascape or portraits.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Beautiful seascape RVW.....

Some more from the garden...had to lure the spider out of its ball hiding form to show some leg, got such a fright I ran home hahahaClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Honey bee .jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	572538Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spider dont know how to crop.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	572539
    Our Travel and Photography blog- https://twotracks.co.za

The Beast - 2005 Toyota Hilux D/C 4L with freeflow

Daily Drive- Girlfriends Honda Jazz

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gifmonster For This Useful Post:

Too many goggas , so let me move to the floral kingdom.

Serruria Florida, Blushing Bride, Trots van Franschoek. Horticultural specimen.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Cobus
    2010 Jimny

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jab2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jab2 View Post
    Too many goggas , so let me move to the floral kingdom.

Serruria Florida, Blushing Bride, Trots van Franschoek. Horticultural specimen.
    Seriously nicely done. More details about the process of execution?
    Ezzac

Quote Originally Posted by EHoffmann View Post
    Seriously nicely done. More details about the process of execution?
    Canon 7D Mk II, Canon EF 100 f2.8 handheld @ f9.0, 1/100sec, ISO 800, PP Adobe Lightroom 6.0.
    Cobus
    2010 Jimny

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jab2 For This Useful Post:

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast