Defender Defender V8 Lexus queries





Results 1 to 20 of 145

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    East London
    Age
    38
    Posts
    29
    Thanked: 0

    Default Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Hi guys - we are busy completing the V8 Lexus conversion (with the Lexus auto-box) in my 2007 110 and I have a couple of queries:

    1) We are currently getting some pretty poor fuel consumption figures. Anybody out there who has done the conversion and can share some real world figures with me?

    2) Have you changed your diff ratio's and, if so, to what?

    3) I have a bit of a shudder on pull-off, have you experienced this?

    4) What air-filter setup are you running?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    BRAKPAN
    Age
    45
    Posts
    555
    Thanked: 31

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Average fuel consumption = 5km/l

    Have achieved 7.5km/l with light foot and no wind @ 100km/h.

    Pulls uphill @ 100km/h with half throttle, plenty power in reserve.
    It does lack torque, as the motor must be revved more compared to a diesel, and
    when that auto kicks down on an uphill, then it really wants to go.

    You don't really want to go more than 120km/h in a Defender, and with the V8
    uphills are no longer an issue, if i compare it to my 300Tdi.

    Shudder on pull away could be fuel related, more delivery to the pump from what
    i have experienced.

    The TC was stopped for a Disco1 V8's, don't expect a huge difference.

    If you don't drive like a yahoo, i think the diffs should be fine.
    Keep in mind, anything can be broken, if you try hard enough LOL.

    Swambo has a D90 with Lexus, auto, and Spittronix.
    There is now too much wiring, much more than i like in a Defender.
    1997 defender 90 300tdi
    2006 discovery 3 tdv6 S
    2010 polo vivo ( swambo )

    LROC - member since 2007

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    37,398
    Thanked: 13572

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Shaun, explain your opinion of poor fuel consumption.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    New Germany
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,189
    Thanked: 488

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Diff ratio is 3.54 on all coil sprung defenders and disco's if you have rover long nose Diffs front and back I think like the 90 and disco,you can get 2.78 crown wheel and pinions. the defender has rover long nose front and p38 or salsbary back and you can not get lower then 3.54 for the back or go 35" tires will help
    changing of the transfer case ratio gears from 1.44 to 1.22 and also get a 1.003 are your options
    and in my opinion I would not touch spitronics, you would be better off using the original Lexus ECU or go megasquirt 3

    my defender is running LS1 megasquirt ECU 4l80e auto and LT230 with 1.22 gears which I am changing next year to 1.003 and using 35" tires
    At 120 I want to do 1900 to 2000 RPM at moment doing around 2300
    Last edited by clivemd; 2016/11/10 at 06:06 PM.
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    37,398
    Thanked: 13572

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    I'd also stick to a front cut if I didn't have a Spitronics boffin close by.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    New Germany
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,189
    Thanked: 488

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I'd also stick to a front cut if I didn't have a Spitronics boffin close by.
    Is spitronics fully sequential or batch fire
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    5
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Quote Originally Posted by clivemd View Post
    Diff ratio is 3.54 on all coil sprung defenders and disco's if you have rover long nose Diffs front and back I think like the 90 and disco,you can get 2.78 crown wheel and pinions. the defender has rover long nose front and p38 or salsbary back and you can not get lower then 3.54 for the back or go 35" tires will help
    changing of the transfer case ratio gears from 1.44 to 1.22 and also get a 1.003 are your options
    and in my opinion I would not touch spitronics, you would be better off using the original Lexus ECU or go megasquirt 3

    my defender is running LS1 megasquirt ECU 4l80e auto and LT230 with 1.22 gears which I am changing next year to 1.003 and using 35" tires
    At 120 I want to do 1900 to 2000 RPM at moment doing around 2300
    anyone still on this thread


    Hi Clive did you ever manage to change the transfer case ratios to 1.003 I recently changed mine to 1.2 from 1.4 and its made the world of a difference on the top gears i now cruise at 120kmph at around 2700 rpm with 31 inch tyres . i want to drop the ratios even further but want to hear from someone who has already made the change 110 defender stock 3uz ecu with a 2 inch lift and standard 3.5 diffs

    thanks

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Plettenberg
    Age
    61
    Posts
    333
    Thanked: 107

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Quote Originally Posted by Pavli View Post
    anyone still on this thread


    Hi Clive did you ever manage to change the transfer case ratios to 1.003 I recently changed mine to 1.2 from 1.4 and its made the world of a difference on the top gears i now cruise at 120kmph at around 2700 rpm with 31 inch tyres . i want to drop the ratios even further but want to hear from someone who has already made the change 110 defender stock 3uz ecu with a 2 inch lift and standard 3.5 diffs

    thanks
    I would think stay as is. I changed from 1.2 to 1.4, but that is with a 1UZ and autobox. 265/75 R16 tyres.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilk For This Useful Post:


  10. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bellville
    Age
    46
    Posts
    455
    Thanked: 30

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    With my old Pajero LWB lexus with Spitronics, with trailer and four kids, I got 7.5km/l going to Seweweekspoort last week, 4x4 and all. Cruising speed 95-110, revving 2400-2900rpm. Having researched the LS400 forums extensively, they seem to get best mileage at 65mph/104kph doing 2400rpm. My best to date was 9.3km/l doing 90-95kph (unladen), in town I get 5-6km/l. Verify that your Lambda sensor is working fine, this can mess your fuel computing around, especially on oem ecu.

    As for air filters, nice big donaldson should do the job, but ensure your housing is big enough, can breathe properly, and provide enough air.

    No idea on diff ratios for the Defender, but 2400-2600 should be ideal for cruising. If required, I drop a gear or two to overtake. I trust you can get it sorted easily enough!

    youtube clips

    Gen 2 2.8TDi, running with a Lexus heart since 290000kms
    - developed a drinking problem since - V8 inception 2014/03/28
    - looking up after some driver rehabilitation and fine tuning (5.5-8.7km/l) 2015/08/14
    - keep the wheels on the ground at all times - 2014/12/04
    - body maintenance completed -
    2015/02/19
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    59
    Posts
    9,307
    Thanked: 2838

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Quote Originally Posted by larry007 View Post
    With my old Pajero LWB lexus with Spitronics, with trailer and four kids, I got 7.5km/l going to Seweweekspoort last week, 4x4 and all. Cruising speed 95-110, revving 2400-2900rpm. Having researched the LS400 forums extensively, they seem to get best mileage at 65mph/104kph doing 2400rpm. My best to date was 9.3km/l doing 90-95kph (unladen), in town I get 5-6km/l. Verify that your Lambda sensor is working fine, this can mess your fuel computing around, especially on oem ecu.

    As for air filters, nice big donaldson should do the job, but ensure your housing is big enough, can breathe properly, and provide enough air.

    No idea on diff ratios for the Defender, but 2400-2600 should be ideal for cruising. If required, I drop a gear or two to overtake. I trust you can get it sorted easily enough!

    Larry I tend to agree with you. This is where we plan to be with my sons Hilux 2400 to 2600rpm at 120.

    I have spend many hours calculating ratios for the Lexus converssion.

    Before I would do a ratio change I rather would have cams cut to 4x4 profiles on the Lexus. This move the torque peak to a lower band.

    Both my 347 and 302 Rangers do 2200rpm @120. The 302 average around 6.5km/[email protected] on the open road.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bellville
    Age
    46
    Posts
    455
    Thanked: 30

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Larry I tend to agree with you. This is where we plan to be with my sons Hilux 2400 to 2600rpm at 120.

    I have spend many hours calculating ratios for the Lexus converssion.

    Before I would do a ratio change I rather would have cams cut to 4x4 profiles on the Lexus. This move the torque peak to a lower band.

    Both my 347 and 302 Rangers do 2200rpm @120. The 302 average around 6.5km/[email protected] on the open road.
    Mr V8... Doing those cams will surely address the performance under 3000rpm. Everyone on this forum should up to date that the lexus is lazy under 3000rpm, I can attest to that. Not that I will attempt it, but I would like to know the outcome thereof.

    Having said that, the motor still surprises when doing slow stuff, like idling over rocks. I was obviously concerned about the 4x4 capabilities of the Lexus, but in turn I am pleasantly surprised and happy with it, it merely idles through - better than I could have hoped for!

    I suspect that cam will make a difference when pulling a laden trailer and you are stuck behind a truck uphill, easily cruising along, but then want to overtake. I have often found 4th at 80 (2800) doesn't have the oompth, and then drop it to 3rd to ensure a safe and quick overtake - with acceleration so glorious one forgets about the trailer... and this is with a baby v8 compared to yours...

    youtube clips

    Gen 2 2.8TDi, running with a Lexus heart since 290000kms
    - developed a drinking problem since - V8 inception 2014/03/28
    - looking up after some driver rehabilitation and fine tuning (5.5-8.7km/l) 2015/08/14
    - keep the wheels on the ground at all times - 2014/12/04
    - body maintenance completed -
    2015/02/19
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    59
    Posts
    9,307
    Thanked: 2838

    Post Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    I run the R380 vs Lexus AE650 on the http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html ratio calculator.

    Ratio of above mentioned boxes really close.

    Agree with Hagu13 if a Rover v8 can run those ratio`s a Lexus should do better.

    Me think the Lexus in this conversion is out of tune.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    doonside
    Age
    37
    Posts
    854
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Yes the series 3 cw bolts up to the defender carrier but it does not work. Need a spacer ring machined first to space the cw away drop the carrier. About 5mm.
    Regards
    Wesley


    1988 Range Rover 4 door. 2.7 turbo diesel. 4.7:1 diff ratios. 2" body lift. 255/85R16 maxxis bighorn's + camel cut. AKA: shady
    A true oil burner that runs on Black Diesel.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to wild spike For This Useful Post:


  16. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    cape Town - 0825509200 / 0624206806
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,325
    Thanked: 439

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Thanks WildSpike....that should shut the Jello-lush up for a bit

    So basically the Series pinion is thinner in diameter and the CG needs to be spaced to compensate.......

    AFAIK the Rover pumpkin bolts in, the Sailsbury is mounted in the diff and has a loose cover....thats why I say fit the complete pumpkin.

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    37,398
    Thanked: 13572

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Quote Originally Posted by GaryFrank View Post
    Thanks WildSpike....that should shut the Jello-lush up for a bit

    So basically the Series pinion is thinner in diameter and the CG needs to be spaced to compensate.......

    AFAIK the Rover pumpkin bolts in, the Sailsbury is mounted in the diff and has a loose cover....thats why I say fit the complete pumpkin.
    Jello-lush

    that coming from my Vaaljapie Cuz from the Cape.....

    I need to come and visit. We can destroy the last bit of our livers.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    37,398
    Thanked: 13572

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Quote Originally Posted by wild spike View Post
    Yes the series 3 cw bolts up to the defender carrier but it does not work. Need a spacer ring machined first to space the cw away drop the carrier. About 5mm.
    great stuff.

    Read that somewhere, now that I think about it.

    So a nice new standard 4.7 set and a spacer?

    here we go:

    http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co...acer-ring.html
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  19. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    cape Town - 0825509200 / 0624206806
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,325
    Thanked: 439

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post

    Read that somewhere, now that I think about it.
    and he calls me a geriatric old fart......

    now tell me if you got the 5.7.......
    Last edited by GaryFrank; 2016/12/05 at 10:36 AM.

  20. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    37,398
    Thanked: 13572

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Quote Originally Posted by GaryFrank View Post
    and he calls me a geriatric old fart......

    now tell me if you got the 5.7.......
    5.57 you old knob
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  21. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    cape Town - 0825509200 / 0624206806
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,325
    Thanked: 439

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Eish----old timers

    Im just gonna stick to my Series from now on.....
    Last edited by GaryFrank; 2016/12/05 at 10:49 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •