Defender Defender V8 Lexus queries - Page 6

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post

Read that somewhere, now that I think about it.
    and he calls me a geriatric old fart......

now tell me if you got the 5.7.......
    Last edited by GaryFrank; 2016/12/05 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryFrank View Post
    and he calls me a geriatric old fart......

now tell me if you got the 5.7.......
    5.57 you old knob
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Eish----old timers

Im just gonna stick to my Series from now on.....
    Last edited by GaryFrank; 2016/12/05 at 10:49 AM.

From what I understand:

Yes, my model Puma 110 has the P38 rear diff.

The Ashcroft's website has a separate 4.10 R&P for the P38 and specifically states that you will need to use the 4.12 for the fronts. So I am assuming (hopefully correctly) that these should be a straight forward swap out.

If I had the time or even lived in a part of the country that parts came easily, I would consider doing the Series 3 diff swap (not that I would personally do it, I certainly don't have the know how.)

Regarding the dyno results, I don't have the exact numbers with me, I just spoke to the guy at the dyno shop over the phone. He was quite surprised that I had gone with the Lexus/Toyota auto-box, which I found disconcerting as I thought most people went with an auto-box when doing the Lexus. I'm wondering whether I should consider putting my manual box back in instead of selling it...

Quote Originally Posted by shauncooper View Post
    From what I understand:

Yes, my model Puma 110 has the P38 rear diff.

The Ashcroft's website has a separate 4.10 R&P for the P38 and specifically states that you will need to use the 4.12 for the fronts. So I am assuming (hopefully correctly) that these should be a straight forward swap out.

If I had the time or even lived in a part of the country that parts came easily, I would consider doing the Series 3 diff swap (not that I would personally do it, I certainly don't have the know how.)

Regarding the dyno results, I don't have the exact numbers with me, I just spoke to the guy at the dyno shop over the phone. He was quite surprised that I had gone with the Lexus/Toyota auto-box, which I found disconcerting as I thought most people went with an auto-box when doing the Lexus. I'm wondering whether I should consider putting my manual box back in instead of selling it...
    If you go manual box, who's doing the adapter? Will you use a spigot shaft or a new input shaft? Which clutch? Standard R380 or the new Ford box? Then who's doing the flywheel?

I'd consider reverting to a Land Rover engine and selling it. You should be able to pick up a 2.2 Ford Ranger engine and ECU somewhere.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Eish----old timers

Im just gonna stick to my Series from now on.....
    So am I wrong? 5.57:1 ?
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

If you really go for changing the C&P maybe just do the back first and run with out the front propshaft that way you don't wast money on both if they don't work out, but then again getting both sent at once might be cheaper on postage then one at a time.
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

Thanks for the suggestion Clive - I do think it would be cheaper in the long run to send both down at once. It will also be easier to sell a set if it doesn't help me in my situation.

Jelo - that's all way too technical for me, I would have to discuss with my mechanic doing the conversion. It probably makes sense though to just sell the manual transmission with my 2.4 diesel as a combination.

Thanks for the suggestion Clive - I do think it would be cheaper in the long run to send both down at once. It will also be easier to sell a set if it doesn't help me in my situation.

Jelo - that's all way too technical for me, I would have to discuss with my mechanic doing the conversion. It probably makes sense though to just sell the manual transmission with my 2.4 diesel as a combination.
    What is wrong with the 2.4 anyway?
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Lost power and started smoking heavily on the way back from Lesotho. The initial "diagnosis" (if I can even call it that) was that it must be a ring failure. I decided based on that information at the time to do the Lexus conversion as I had wanted to do so anyway and the quote to re-do the diesel and do Lexus conversion was only a few grand different.

I have subsequently determined that it seems it was only a turbo failure and engine is still fine (I shut it down and loaded on a flatbed before there was any overheating).

And obviously, we are already almost double the initial budget (and 6 months down the line) on the conversion, which is why I am determined to get this bloody thing sorted.

And obviously, we are already almost double the initial budget (and 6 months down the line) on the conversion, which is why I am determined to get this bloody thing sorted.
    yes we could have told you that if you had asked originally

At what point are you going to concede defeat ?
    You have 3 choices:

- put Puma back in and flog Lexus and box to recoup some funds
    - put another R30k into the conversion
    - sell it all for a loss as it stands
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Shame man, sorry you got your fingers burned with the conversion budget
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

Jelo - everything makes perfect sense in hindsight. I wanted the Lexus at the time as I tow ski-boats with the landy to the Transkei and I wanted a bit of extra grunt. I did speak to some people initially about the conversion and took my mechanics Lexus powered Colt for a few days. Apart from that there are NO landy experts in EL that I would have trusted to recon the diesel.

I'm too far down the road now to go back to the diesel, it seems like these are just annoying issues to have to work through and that's why I have sought advice from guys that have done this conversion. I don't see why I need to concede defeat, the conversion has been done by others before. Fact is I have a significant amount of money in upgraded brakes, suspension and after-market items so selling the LR is not an option as I will never recover that. This LR will be with me till it or me is properly dead.

I don't see where another R30k is coming from if we are talking changing CW&P?

Fair enough bud. Just laying it out again.

An axle rebuild isn't cheap. The setup of the backlash on the diff is critical and shouldn't be given to an average mechanic IMHO.

So parts, oil, labour etc could be R30k when all is said and done.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Jelo - everything makes perfect sense in hindsight. I wanted the Lexus at the time as I tow ski-boats with the landy to the Transkei and I wanted a bit of extra grunt. I did speak to some people initially about the conversion and took my mechanics Lexus powered Colt for a few days. Apart from that there are NO landy experts in EL that I would have trusted to recon the diesel.

I'm too far down the road now to go back to the diesel, it seems like these are just annoying issues to have to work through and that's why I have sought advice from guys that have done this conversion. I don't see why I need to concede defeat, the conversion has been done by others before. Fact is I have a significant amount of money in upgraded brakes, suspension and after-market items so selling the LR is not an option as I will never recover that. This LR will be with me till it or me is properly dead.

I don't see where another R30k is coming from if we are talking changing CW&P?
    Yup, you have come so far. No point in going back to what you've had.
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

(Johno you sod, just wait until you want to "borrow" an LT230 TC again......)
    hee hee, couldn't resist it, mate...

Shaun I would still like to know what the dyno figures were.

Me think the Lexus is not the best engine for towing heavy boats. Ratio change for towing purposes will work.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

SO - had the Defender on the dyno yesterday. It was confirmed that it is running very rich at open throttle. The guy here has actually done a few Lexus conversions so I believe he knows a bit about the engines (he has a Lexus in a Range Rover of his). He has a chip system that he will put in so that we can adjust the fuel ratio's.

He did however say that my diff ratio's are way too high geared at the standard 3.54 and I should look at a diff ratio of 4.1 and up for the vehicle.

So that pretty much leaves me back at the original problem of sourcing diff that I have been struggling to do. It looks like my only option at the moment is to import the Ashcroft CW&P from the UK. Not looking forward to those import duties and VAT.
    So why is it running rich with original ECU? Get the engine performance up to spec first, then decide. I will just tow in fourth. Will you ever make up the difference in fuel with an ratio change?
    Last edited by Wilk; 2016/12/05 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    So am I wrong? 5.57:1 ?
    I'm not even gonna answer that one......just gonna sit here and sulk....

Default Defender V8 Lexus queries

A lot options and suggestions thrown around here, but I was also thinking aling these lines

Quote Originally Posted by Wilk View Post
    So why is it running rich with original ECU? Get the engine performance up to spec first, then decide. I will just tow in fourth. Will you ever make up the difference in fuel with an ratio change?
    Clearly you will need to resolve the current fueling issues first and get the motor fixed up, what was performance graphs like? Post a photo of the dyno output.

Is the auto hunting? I would also suggest to simply tow in fourth. If you are concerned about your final gear ratio, why not drive it in fourth regardless?
    Last edited by larry007; 2016/12/06 at 06:44 AM.

youtube clips

Gen 2 2.8TDi, running with a Lexus heart since 290000kms
    - developed a drinking problem since - V8 inception 2014/03/28
    - looking up after some driver rehabilitation and fine tuning (5.5-8.7km/l) 2015/08/14
    - keep the wheels on the ground at all times - 2014/12/04
    - body maintenance completed -
    2015/02/19
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast