Defender Defender V8 Lexus queries - Page 3





Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 145
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    59
    Posts
    9,505
    Thanked: 3029

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Quote Originally Posted by GaryFrank View Post
    Challenge accepted.....you do a Defender and I'll do the Longnose
    Nope both 110`s I keep the 3.54 ratios you do ratio change to 4.7. Both Lexus 1uz you can use what ever ECU you like.

    Standard 1UZ bottom end. Normal aspirated. We can do any other mod to the engine, like compression ratio and cams.

    Test will be economy and acceleration.

    We keep the Lexus auto box. I hate them.
    Last edited by grips; 2016/11/14 at 10:37 PM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    cape Town - 0825509200 / 0624206806
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,355
    Thanked: 451

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Shyte....me and my big mouth again

    Toss the Lexus box, use the Mitsu 3040L (same box no electrickery)

    Now how the hell do I fit 4,7's into Disco 2 diff's.......
    Last edited by GaryFrank; 2016/11/14 at 10:42 PM.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    59
    Posts
    9,505
    Thanked: 3029

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    My line of thinking is that the Lexus and auto box in the OP`s conversion is not set up correctly.

    Very few manage to set up the box with aftermarket ECU`s. Me thinks the box does don't kick back or select as it is suppose to do.

    I would have done a manual box conversion as we are currently doing in the Hilux.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    cape Town - 0825509200 / 0624206806
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,355
    Thanked: 451

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    I prefer the Mitsu....no controller needed.

    Had a problem with a 700R4 on the back of a Lexus....eating flex plates.

    Eventually found out (after I sold her) that the wanker that supplied the box "forgot" to mention that the box had been fiddled with and was now mechanical shift.
    Pulling away in 4th wasn't too kind to the flexi


    Forgot to mention that I've only played with the non VVT motors and 4 speed boxes.......I do however have a spare 4L60E 4x4 box just sitting there looking pretty.
    Last edited by GaryFrank; 2016/11/14 at 11:03 PM.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to GaryFrank For This Useful Post:


  6. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    cape Town - 0825509200 / 0624206806
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,355
    Thanked: 451

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    My line of thinking is that the Lexus and auto box in the OP`s conversion is not set up correctly.

    Very few manage to set up the box with aftermarket ECU`s. Me thinks the box does don't kick back or select as it is suppose to do.

    I would have done a manual box conversion as we are currently doing in the Hilux.


    I agree regarding the after-market controllers, but OP states original ECU/TCU.....though everything point to electrickery problems.

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hunters Close, Port Elizabeth
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,497
    Thanked: 77

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Gary didn't early defenders have salisbury diffs? i seen s3 that had them front and rear. couldn't the diffs from the series salisbury not fit into defender salisbury axles housings?
    Luke aka Jedi

    1954 Landy Rover Series 1 86"- Rambling Rose
    Best company slogan: Cherrybomb performance exhaust, Disturbing the peace since 1968



  8. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    59
    Posts
    9,505
    Thanked: 3029

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Quote Originally Posted by GaryFrank View Post
    I agree regarding the after-market controllers, but OP states original ECU/TCU.....though everything point to electrickery problems.
    My fault see he is indeed running standard controls.

    Still thinks something is wrong if a Rower v8 with 98kw and 253nm can pull 3.54 ratios a Lexus should do better.
    Comparing power at 2500rpm the Lexus makes more torque 312nm. Lexus not far off the mark comparing it even with the 2.4 diesel.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Modderfontein, naby Rysmierbult
    Age
    76
    Posts
    4,700
    Thanked: 614

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Quote Originally Posted by GaryFrank View Post
    AT your age ?.....pervert
    Thanks .. not easy to outgrow the Lexus thrill !
    Last edited by Gaitshi Gubib; 2016/11/15 at 06:44 AM.
    Johan Mitchell, .... r.i.v. Swambo Marthie

    My beste kennis is dié oor my eie onkunde

    '96 Colt DC V8 ... Safari Camper ... '88 Fleetline L
    '88 Ballade 150 ... sold
    "The rule here is that there is no rule" .. MikeAG

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    38,807
    Thanked: 15107

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    My fault see he is indeed running standard controls.

    Still thinks something is wrong if a Rower v8 with 98kw and 253nm can pull 3.54 ratios a Lexus should do better.
    Comparing power at 2500rpm the Lexus makes more torque 312nm. Lexus not far off the mark comparing it even with the 2.4 diesel.
    Lex V8 for all the slagging it gets puts out more torque just off idle than the RV8 at peak.........

    But with the Aisin box the gearing is just all wrong.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    38,807
    Thanked: 15107

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    I am willing to challenge any poster in this thread. Will buy a 110 Land Rover Defender and do a Lexus 1uz conversion. Will leave the diff`s with 3.54 ratios. Will do my mods and we can pit them against each other, economy and performance.

    Give me at least 24 months and we can arrange a forum shoot out.
    I want the 110 when you're done with the pissing contest
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  12. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Plettenberg
    Age
    61
    Posts
    343
    Thanked: 117

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    I am willing to challenge any poster in this thread. Will buy a 110 Land Rover Defender and do a Lexus 1uz conversion. Will leave the diff`s with 3.54 ratios. Will do my mods and we can pit them against each other, economy and performance.

    Give me at least 24 months and we can arrange a forum shoot out.
    Grips

    You can use my 1990 SW. Already 1UZFE, 3.54 diffs (salisbury back with disc brakes), 1.41 ashcroft TC. Cooling sorted. Asian Auto. Spitronics.


  13. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    cape Town - 0825509200 / 0624206806
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,355
    Thanked: 451

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Quote Originally Posted by JediNAfrica View Post
    Gary didn't early defenders have salisbury diffs? i seen s3 that had them front and rear. couldn't the diffs from the series salisbury not fit into defender salisbury axles housings?
    AFAIK both the Series and the Defender use the Rover front / Salisbury back combo.....lets put it this way, I have never owned a Series or Defender that had Salisbury front and back.
    I know that I need to make adapters to fit the Rangy pumpkins into the Disco 2 diff's. Splines will work....


    @Grips.....The Jelo-miester said it.....the gearing in the Asian box is not the best.
    Methinks a lot of fettling with the TCU map could solve some of the problems (I don't know the 5 speed at all)

    Still, give the Lexus some boot and she's no slouch. Thats why I say, based on the curves, I would look at setting the diff ratio to suit the motor sweet spot - 4.7's to set your optimal cruising at 4000rpm (I know that this works with the 4 speed non VVT)

  14. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melkbosstrand
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,687
    Thanked: 429

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Gary, you're not supposed to gear it for drags. You gear it for the road. Best economy will be as tall as it can pull without lugging. About 50km/h per 1000 rpm should do it.
    Sure, a Defender will run out of handling by about 4k RPM in top, but that's not the point.

    Gearbox programming takes some practice. You can set several maps (up to 4 on Spitronics) for sport, economy, offroad, etc but you can get by with one. My main map shifts very early at light throttle and gets into top by about 50km/h and easily locks up the TC by 60. Still plenty torque to drive at very light throttle. If I hoof it it will kick back quite aggressively beyond about 50% foot and run up to redline on full throttle. So I can cruise very economically, overtake like a superbike and as soon as I lift out it goes straght back to 4th gear and locks up.
    For offroading I have a rocker switch that kills power to the solenoids and then I shift the gears manually. Sometimes you want to rush a dune at redline and don't want an upshift, or you want to drop the revs and then hoof it again without getting a downshift. The electronics don't like this- even on manual it will still auto shift at idle or redline.
    Rob
    Defender 90 pickup. Lexus V8, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Disco 2 ES TD5
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hagu13 For This Useful Post:


  16. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,609
    Thanked: 53

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Maybe I'll add a comparative 5.3 LM motor in the mix.

    a Friend and I am looking at doing the conversion on a 110 pup in the next couple of months.

    Watch this space....

    '98 Defender 90 2.8i aka "saad van die psigopaat"
    Defender - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0YKlc8Cwrs

  17. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    cape Town - 0825509200 / 0624206806
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,355
    Thanked: 451

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Quote Originally Posted by Hagu13 View Post
    Gary, you're not supposed to gear it for drags. You gear it for the road.
    not for drags now you tell me.....(after 3 flex plates)

    Rob, you're the last one to talk, you set off all the car alarms at my shop when you leave

    As for my project..... I've got a D2 rolling chassis, Non VVT motor and a 3040L Mitsu box. Just need a bell housing and then its Longnose time.
    Last edited by GaryFrank; 2016/11/16 at 04:01 PM.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to GaryFrank For This Useful Post:


  19. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Obs
    Age
    42
    Posts
    42
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Hi Guys. I am currently running a 196kw 1uzfe non vvti mated to an R380 300tdi box with disco 1 tc in an 110 hardtop with 354.1 ratios. im using 245/70/16 tyres currently but would like to go to 235/85/16s once these wear out. I am using spitronics on the motor. i get 7.3km/l at 120km/h. I smoke most hot hatches from standing at the lights.The motor pulls to almost 6k rpm in top gear flat out-although i need 4 lanes to keep the 110 straight. I would say i need an extra gear or bigger tyres to bring the revs down for cruising. I find this motor is most efficient at 2500rpm. it certainly doesnt feel lazy at all in the lower rpm areas- although once you get to 4k rpm you definitely know thats where the magic happens. In the bush I rarely have to use low range-there is just plenty torque for most off road applications. The only thing i find problems with is the temperature guage seems to run hotter than when in my disco1 with same drivetrain. i have fitted a bmw 740 radiator and 16"electric fan-which ive never heard come on. I have installed a override switch that allows me to turn the fan on from the dash.I dont think the motor is overheating because it doesnt boil over in traffic or under labour-just the guage goes to red.Anyway. After having endless trouble with the tdi engine I am more than happy with the lexus and think the ratios are well suited for the 1uz.

  20. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    38,807
    Thanked: 15107

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    The only thing i find problems with is the temperature guage seems to run hotter than when in my disco1 with same drivetrain. i have fitted a bmw 740 radiator and 16"electric fan-which ive never heard come on. I have installed a override switch that allows me to turn the fan on from the dash.I dont think the motor is overheating because it doesnt boil over in traffic or under labour-just the guage goes to red.Anyway. After having endless trouble with the tdi engine I am more than happy with the lexus and think the ratios are well suited for the 1uz.
    get a proper VDO gauge, the Land Rover stuff is useless when new and worse when old.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  21. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Plettenberg
    Age
    61
    Posts
    343
    Thanked: 117

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Hi Guys. I am currently running a 196kw 1uzfe non vvti mated to an R380 300tdi box with disco 1 tc in an 110 hardtop with 354.1 ratios. im using 245/70/16 tyres currently but would like to go to 235/85/16s once these wear out. I am using spitronics on the motor. i get 7.3km/l at 120km/h. I smoke most hot hatches from standing at the lights.The motor pulls to almost 6k rpm in top gear flat out-although i need 4 lanes to keep the 110 straight. I would say i need an extra gear or bigger tyres to bring the revs down for cruising. I find this motor is most efficient at 2500rpm. it certainly doesnt feel lazy at all in the lower rpm areas- although once you get to 4k rpm you definitely know thats where the magic happens. In the bush I rarely have to use low range-there is just plenty torque for most off road applications. The only thing i find problems with is the temperature guage seems to run hotter than when in my disco1 with same drivetrain. i have fitted a bmw 740 radiator and 16"electric fan-which ive never heard come on. I have installed a override switch that allows me to turn the fan on from the dash.I dont think the motor is overheating because it doesnt boil over in traffic or under labour-just the guage goes to red.Anyway. After having endless trouble with the tdi engine I am more than happy with the lexus and think the ratios are well suited for the 1uz.
    The Standard Lexus Temp sensor (83420-16020) flat terminal 1/8" x 28BSP is ± 885 Ohm @ 25deg and 30 Ohms @ 100 deg C.
    A HONDA Temp Gauge Sender Prt No: 37750-PC1-004 is also 1/8" x 28BSP. ± 550 Ohm @ 25 deg and 27 Ohm @ 100 dec C.
    The Disco 1 Instrument Cluster (I fitted this to my 110 with Lexus) is ± 800Ohm cold, 150 Ohm - Warm, 80 Ohm Normal, alarms @ 47 Ohms and HOT 22 Ohms.
    I use the Honda one but installed a series resistor I think around 10 Ohms. Not accurate but the gauge is working. For me no need to be spot on as I are still using the Original Lexus sender connected to a Processor (Arduino) and LCD that give me accurate readings and control the electrical fan speed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  22. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bellville
    Age
    46
    Posts
    455
    Thanked: 30

    Default Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Hi Guys. I am currently running a 196kw 1uzfe non vvti mated to an R380 300tdi box with disco 1 tc in an 110 hardtop with 354.1 ratios. im using 245/70/16 tyres currently but would like to go to 235/85/16s once these wear out. I am using spitronics on the motor. i get 7.3km/l at 120km/h. I smoke most hot hatches from standing at the lights.The motor pulls to almost 6k rpm in top gear flat out-although i need 4 lanes to keep the 110 straight. I would say i need an extra gear or bigger tyres to bring the revs down for cruising. I find this motor is most efficient at 2500rpm. it certainly doesnt feel lazy at all in the lower rpm areas- although once you get to 4k rpm you definitely know thats where the magic happens. In the bush I rarely have to use low range-there is just plenty torque for most off road applications. The only thing i find problems with is the temperature guage seems to run hotter than when in my disco1 with same drivetrain. i have fitted a bmw 740 radiator and 16"electric fan-which ive never heard come on. I have installed a override switch that allows me to turn the fan on from the dash.I dont think the motor is overheating because it doesnt boil over in traffic or under labour-just the guage goes to red.Anyway. After having endless trouble with the tdi engine I am more than happy with the lexus and think the ratios are well suited for the 1uz.
    You need to know your temps!! I am working on a display for Spitronics - PM me for more details if interested, it is almost production ready and will soon be available on their website... I have installed it this past weekend as my Pajero gauge kept sitting in the middle whilst I felt it was too hot. A sumple gauge doesn't equal the cost/damage to the motor!!

    First pic is on the bench
    Last edited by larry007; 2016/11/18 at 11:50 AM.

    youtube clips

    Gen 2 2.8TDi, running with a Lexus heart since 290000kms
    - developed a drinking problem since - V8 inception 2014/03/28
    - looking up after some driver rehabilitation and fine tuning (5.5-8.7km/l) 2015/08/14
    - keep the wheels on the ground at all times - 2014/12/04
    - body maintenance completed -
    2015/02/19
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to larry007 For This Useful Post:


  24. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    East London
    Age
    38
    Posts
    29
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

    Thanks for all the replies.

    So if a sum this up and understand correctly (and I could be way off base) - if I want to cruise comfortable at say 120km/h in final gear (5th), I need to be as close to the optimum torque curve (in the case of the Lexus around 4,000rpm) as possible. There are three main areas to adjust to adjust the rpm - diff ratio's/transfer case gear ratio/tire size.

    With my current setup (using the gearing as per Jelo's post) of 1.41 TC, 3.54 diffs, 265/75/16 tire size (80cm or 31.5inch diameter), I would be somewhere around 2,900 rpm at 120km/h.

    Given that the smallest gains to be made are in tire size, I will keep tire size constant for purposes of analysis.


    • If I change only the diff ratio to 4.7 as has been suggested, the RPM will be very close to spot on at 3,973 [email protected]/h.
    • If I had to change only the Transfer Case (as has also been suggested) from 1.4 to 1.2, RPM will be 2,570 [email protected]/h which is lower than it is with my current setup, so I don't believe this is feasible.
    • If I changed the diff ratio to 4.7 AND the transfer case to 1.2, RPM will be at 3,412 [email protected]/hr


    So it seems to me that my best possible setup is only to change the diffs to 4.7.

    I'm assuming weight of vehicle shouldn't be considered in this equation as regardless of the weight, you want to be at your "sweet spot" in the RPM range which, in my case, is 4,000RPM?

    Am I on the right track here?

    So my big problem seems to be sourcing the correct diffs - I'm struggling to find the 4.7's either online or anywhere in my area (East London)...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •