MediaRelease: New Land Rover Defender completes Tusk testing to support lion conservation in Kenya

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default New Land Rover Defender completes Tusk testing to support lion conservation in Kenya

Pretoria, 4 June 2019 – The new Land Rover Defender has moved a step closer to production after successfully completing a demanding testing program with Tusk in Kenya, in support of their lion conservation initiatives in Africa.

A prototype Defender fitted with an integrated raised air intake and wearing a unique camouflage, which was specially devised for the surroundings, supported operations at the 14,000-hectare Borana Conservancy, tracking radio collared lions and transporting supplies.

The unique test programme gave Tusk operatives a chance to put the new Defender through a series of real-world tests as wildlife managers forded rivers, pulled heavily loaded trailers and negotiated challenging terrain. The prototype model was even used to help replace the inoperative tracking collar fitted to a male lion, which was sedated at close range from the security of the new Defender.

The Borana Conservancy is home to flat plains, deeply rutted tracks, steep rocky inclines and muddy river banks, giving the new Defender a chance to showcase its unrivalled breadth of capability.

Nick Collins, Vehicle Line Director, Jaguar Land Rover, said: “‘We are now in the advanced stages of the new Defender’s testing and development phase. Working with our partners at Tusk in Kenya enabled us to gather valuable performance data. The Borana reserve features a wide range of challenging environments, making it a perfect place to test to the extreme the all-terrain attributes of the new Defender.”

Land Rover has been an official partner of Tusk for 15 years and the Defender was put to work at the Borana Conservancy to support its lion conservation program, to highlight the critical situation faced by lions across Africa. Three-quarters of lion populations on the continent are in decline and black and white rhinos now outnumber the big cat in Africa. Fewer than 20,000 lions survive in the wild globally - a figure that has declined from 200,000 over the last century.

Charles Mayhew MBE, Chief Executive, Tusk said: “This year marks Tusk's Year of the Lion. Our aim is to raise awareness of the alarming decline in lion populations across Africa. Fortunately, within the Borana Conservancy, there are a number of prides of lion and tracking and monitoring their movements across this vast and tough environment is vital in order to protect them and reduce any conflict with neighbouring communities. The new Defender took everything in its stride, from deep river wading to climbing rocky trails.”

The overall initiative was supported by Jaguar Land Rover’s worldwide logistical partner and supporter of Tusk, DHL to help celebrate 2019 as Tusk’s Year of the Lion.

The new Land Rover Defender will make its world premiere later this year but you can register your interest early at: www.landrover.co.za/defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9fCaqQu_ws&authuser=1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LR_DEF_TUSK_KENYA_040619_01.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	245.1 KB 
ID:	530010   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LR_DEF_TUSK_KENYA_040619_02.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	353.5 KB 
ID:	530011   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LR_DEF_TUSK_KENYA_040619_03.jpg 
Views:	524 
Size:	596.7 KB 
ID:	530012   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LR_DEF_TUSK_KENYA_040619_04.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	390.9 KB 
ID:	530013   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LR_DEF_TUSK_KENYA_040619_05.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	287.7 KB 
ID:	530014   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LR_DEF_TUSK_KENYA_040619_06.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	311.6 KB 
ID:	530015   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LR_DEF_TUSK_KENYA_040619_08.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	339.9 KB 
ID:	530016   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	530017  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MediaReleases For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New Land Rover Defender completes Tusk testing to support lion conservation in Ke

This is just another marketing stunt by LR , the new defender has no place in conservation efforts like this. As soon as that defender is gone everyone will return to their cruisers/ old defenders and stick to them , they will never buy the new defender for purposes like this or any other work done in the bush.

The new defender is basically a D4 and when you think of work done in the bush (farming,mining , conservation) a D4 doesnt come to mind as a suitable car, what comes to mind are bakkies, cruisers , old defender.

Land Rover really dropped the ball on the new defender , shouldnt even have named it that .

The Land Rover lineup is also a joke , they have 6 suvs that are all basically the same but in different price ranges.

The new defender is not suitable for what they are marketing , its just another mall crawler.

My opinion relax.
    1996 300tdi Defender 110

AND HE IS HERE TO DO SOME BUSINESS WITH A BIG IRON ON HIS HIP

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Niela For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New Land Rover Defender completes Tusk testing to support lion conservation in Ke

Quote Originally Posted by Niela View Post

My opinion relax.
    But spot on, bro.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

This is just another marketing stunt by LR , the new defender has no place in conservation efforts like this. As soon as that defender is gone everyone will return to their cruisers/ old defenders and stick to them , they will never buy the new defender for purposes like this or any other work done in the bush.

The new defender is basically a D4 and when you think of work done in the bush (farming,mining , conservation) a D4 doesnt come to mind as a suitable car, what comes to mind are bakkies, cruisers , old defender.

Land Rover really dropped the ball on the new defender , shouldnt even have named it that .

The Land Rover lineup is also a joke , they have 6 suvs that are all basically the same but in different price ranges.

The new defender is not suitable for what they are marketing , its just another mall crawler.

My opinion relax.
    You hit the nail on the head. JLR never had any intention of making the new Defender the successor of the old Defender.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caracal For This Useful Post:

My opinion relax.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1996 300tdi Defender 110

Not complete offended by the styling but a bit disappointed that Land Rover did not modernise the iconic look of the Defender. Like the G class Merc - the new ones are still recognisable.

If the new Defender is based on the D4 it becomes an option for D4 owners that is not keen on a D5. Time will tell.

The reality is that people who truly use hardcore overlanders does not constitute a big enough market. My guess is that options to this market will remain limited going fwd.

2003 LR Discovery 2 GS V8
    2013 LR Discovery SDV6 SE (SWAMBO)
    2014 BMW X5M

I can admit to liking the look and "feel" of the older generation Land Rovers.

Heck, I even considered buying a Puma once - but realised that I do not have the mechanical expertise required should it break down

The new look does not impress me at all and I tend to agree with the "mall crawler" statement...

It's sad that all the new vehicles nowadays are becoming computers on wheels... It just means that average Joe's like myself cannot work on the vehicles ourselves anymore.

It also means that I'll be stuck with my old, outdated, extremely basic 1HZ Troopy till the end of my days.

Not a depressing thought though. There's a certain romance to driving a vehicle that relies mostly on driver skill and ability (or inability in my case ).

I hope that those who have the older LR stick with them, as we are part of a dying era.
    Last edited by Bacon; 2019/06/09 at 08:27 AM.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bacon For This Useful Post:

the new defender is aimed at 1 market. the usa market. the traditional defender wont meet the modern safety / emission requirement of the usa but americans want a defe der. LR is assuming the American market will accept this as a modern update for the traditional one. people who want a defender wont be fooled by this new one. but unfortunately this one will do very well in the states as it is another mall crawler people can buy. over the late 80's and 90's in the us market women became the largest purchaser of new pickups and suv's and they wanted them to be confortable. first came carpet floors and cloth seats. then aircon and softened suspension. u also have to look at the world, fewer and fewer places off pavement to drive offroad vehicles that conservationist haven't gotten offroading banned. look at here in SA how hard it is for a private property owner to get the govt to allow them to setup trails on the farm. look over the years of people here on the forums bragging of taing road trips and crusing their 4x4s at 200kph. 4x4's shouldn't go that fast, they should be unstable at that speed because of suspension made for slow offroad crawling. but they are made to be oversize sports cars. give it time and the wrangler and cruiser will follow the same route.
    Luke aka Jedi

1954 Landy Rover Series 1 86"- Rambling Rose
    Best company slogan: Cherrybomb performance exhaust, Disturbing the peace since 1968

Quote Originally Posted by Toytjie View Post
    Not complete offended by the styling but a bit disappointed that Land Rover did not modernise the iconic look of the Defender. Like the G class Merc - the new ones are still recognisable.

If the new Defender is based on the D4 it becomes an option for D4 owners that is not keen on a D5. Time will tell.

The reality is that people who truly use hardcore overlanders does not constitute a big enough market. My guess is that options to this market will remain limited going fwd.
    All you naysayers forget that Land Rover made good money supplying the military needs of various countries. The G-wagon was all but dead when the Australian army put in an order for some. This breathed new life into G-wagon even caused a 6 wheel version (Aussie specs also require a few 2 ton versions) and now they have designed a successor.

I doubt JLR is totally blind to the requirements of their own British army let alone all the others out there as well as the needs of the UN and various Wildlife organisations. I reckon all you negative naysayers may have lost sight of this point. The D4 is a great bush vehicle and is extremely capable. The technology is now proven. The independent airbag suspension is very easy to maintain in the bush. Yes you do need to know what you are doing but it is not rocket science.

In truth the only issue with a D4 in the bush is the handbrake. The system does not like deep mud. You have to clean it before using it if you have been in deep mud and it has got dry in the interim. This is an easy fix. I know a lot of you will say what about the crank? The reality is there will be other engines on offer so pick another engine variant id this bothers you.
    Last edited by DiscoMatt; 2019/06/10 at 10:24 AM.

2015 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE - Happy Days again
    2019 Volvo XC60 D5 - Swambo's dream fulfilled. Another "platkar" that can.
    2011 KTM 990 Adventure - The classic can do bike
    Sadly sold: 2004 Disco 2 V8 - My beach cottage no more
    Finally retired: 2006 Volvo XC70 - Swambo's "platkar" that could

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DiscoMatt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMatt View Post
    All you naysayers forget that Land Rover made good money supplying the military needs of various countries. The G-wagon was all but dead when the Australian army put in an order for some. This breathed new life into G-wagon even caused a 6 wheel version (Aussie specs also require a few 2 ton versions) and now they have designed a successor.

I doubt JLR is totally blind to the requirements of their own British army let alone all the others out there as well as the needs of the UN and various Wildlife organisations. I reckon all you negative naysayers may have lost sight of this point. The D4 is a great bush vehicle and is extremely capable. The technology is now proven. The independent airbag suspension is very easy to maintain in the bush. Yes you do need to know what you are doing but it is not rocket science.

In truth the only issue with a D4 in the bush is the handbrake. The system does not like deep mud. You have to clean it before using it if you have been in deep mud and it has got dry in the interim. This is an easy fix. I know a lot of you will say what about the crank? The reality is there will be other engines on offer so pick another engine variant id this bothers you.
    "I doubt JLR is totally blind to the requirements of their own British army let alone all the others out there as well as the needs of the UN and various Wildlife organisations." - you cant be serious , look at their vehicle lineup and please dont tell me you think the new defender will be suitable for theses tasks.

The D4 is capable but not utiliterean as any proper bush/work vehicle , you dont see d4's on mines, work in the bush ,army but you well see old defenders and cruisers.

The new defender ISNT A DEFENDER its a D4 with a facelift , and will no longer be suitable for all the tasks the old defenders where suited for.
    1996 300tdi Defender 110

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Niela For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JediNAfrica View Post
    give it time and the wrangler and cruiser will follow the same route.
    Yes, sadly I hear the coffins have already been made by the Euro Nazis, it won't belong before the lid is put on and the the nails hammered in.

All in the name of Safety by a Fascist state.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

I am not questioning the capabilities of a D4. I am questioning myself when it comes to driving a Million Rand vehicle through some of the crap that I have done in my Defender. Bumps, bruises and scratches don't really concern me at the moment. The permanent layer of mud that covers the body is there to protect the paintwork. When I want to modify something I don't hesitate too much with a drill, grinder or a hammer.

I don't see myself doing that with a Million Rand Defender.

But if I am rich one day and I need a second vehicle for longer trips that might involve some gravel roads, sure I will be interested in buying one.
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to albertvl For This Useful Post:

The new defender ISNT A DEFENDER its a D4 with a facelift , and will no longer be suitable for all the tasks the old defenders where suited for.
    You say that with such certainty you have obviously seen one up close. Please share the photos you took and let us know what it was like to drive.

In reality it is all speculation and until we can see it, touch it, try it we won't really know.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DiscoMatt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by albertvl View Post
    I am questioning myself when it comes to driving a Million Rand vehicle through some of the crap that I have done in my Defender. Bumps, bruises and scratches don't really concern me at the moment. The permanent layer of mud that covers the body is there to protect the paintwork. When I want to modify something I don't hesitate too much with a drill, grinder or a hammer.
    you see, HERE is the magic of the Real Defender
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

I am not questioning the capabilities of a D4. I am questioning myself when it comes to driving a Million Rand vehicle through some of the crap that I have done in my Defender. Bumps, bruises and scratches don't really concern me at the moment. The permanent layer of mud that covers the body is there to protect the paintwork. When I want to modify something I don't hesitate too much with a drill, grinder or a hammer.

I don't see myself doing that with a Million Rand Defender.

But if I am rich one day and I need a second vehicle for longer trips that might involve some gravel roads, sure I will be interested in buying one.
    A D4 can be had fro R 300K. That is very much in Defender territory.

A D4 can be had fro R 300K. That is very much in Defender territory.
    True, I don't dispute that. But it is still technically close to a Million Rand vehicle as far as maintenance and repairs are concerned. I doubt whether I will be able to maintain this vehicle by myself as I am currently able to do. And based on info on the forum, the maintenance/repair costs can be quite steep.

With my Defender I can bash around and probably fix whatever breaks, even if it takes some time, blood and tears. With a modern vehicle I foresee just tears - when I have to open my wallet to pay for maintenance and repairs. Same applies for the new Defender.
    Defender 2.8i

"I doubt JLR is totally blind to the requirements of their own British army let alone all the others out there as well as the needs of the UN and various Wildlife organisations." - you cant be serious , look at their vehicle lineup and please dont tell me you think the new defender will be suitable for theses tasks.

The D4 is capable but not utiliterean as any proper bush/work vehicle , you dont see d4's on mines, work in the bush ,army but you well see old defenders and cruisers.

Yip. Apart from this, the British, like others, are going for more purpose built vehicles in any case. While LWB Defenders were de rigueur for Britain's Special Forces, these have been replaced by the likes of the Jacal and the Coyote TSV. The Humvee is to be replaced also although that could take more of a pounding than the Defenders
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Yip. Apart from this, the British, like others, are going for more purpose built vehicles in any case. While LWB Defenders were de rigueur for Britain's Special Forces, these have been replaced by the likes of the Jacal and the Coyote TSV. The Humvee is to be replaced also although that could take more of a pounding than the Defenders
    What is the reason for not fitting a windscreen?
    Defender 2.8i

What is the reason for not fitting a windscreen?
    Not to have to clean it with wipers!

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Yes, sadly I hear the coffins have already been made by the Euro Nazis, it won't belong before the lid is put on and the the nails hammered in.

All in the name of Safety by a Fascist state.
    And what state would that be?
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast