Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

<bump>

where is Shawn?
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Sorry guys, I'm here, just been a busy start to the year.

So in December I took the landy to the dyno shop in East London (I believe the only one in town). The chap there is known for working on the Lexus conversions however. When he did the initial Dyno testing, he confirmed that the landy was running very rich and excess fuel was simply passing through the system. He suggested I have a chip fitted so that he could adjust the air/fuel ratio's, which I subsequently had done. He dyno'd it again after fitting the chip and stated it looked better and should run better. I asked for the dyno sheet printouts but he said that it would be pointless to view from a kw/nm perspective as the gearbox was searching and kept kicking down.

The result is that the engine does feel slightly more peppy and the fuel consumption has improved slightly (from about 3.5km/l to between 4.1 and 4.3km/l) with similar driving style (admittedly I am not the most economical driver, but I'm also not thrashing the vehicle). Definitely not as much improvement as I was hoping for.

He also, however suggested changing the diff ratio's to somewhere around 4.1 and stated he was about to do that for another guy with a Defender and Lexus conversion. I havent yet had the chace to go back to him to relay the results of the chip and moves going forward...

A LexFenderPuma sold recently for R240k.

Since yours is broken I'll give you R24k.

Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Nice try. It's certainly not broken, just thirsty...

Quote Originally Posted by shauncooper View Post
    Nice try. It's certainly not broken, just thirsty...
    one day you'll surrender
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by shauncooper View Post
    He also, however suggested changing the diff ratio's to somewhere around 4.1 and stated he was about to do that for another guy with a Defender and Lexus conversion. I havent yet had the chace to go back to him to relay the results of the chip and moves going forward...
    Hmmmm 4.1 you say....now where have I heard that before............

Quote Originally Posted by GaryFrank View Post
    Hmmmm 4.1 you say....now where have I heard that before............
    We said 4.7
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

So you want to shorten the gearing to compensate for a lack of power and a dodgy gearbox.
    Shorter gearing will increase revs and increase fuel consumption. If you disagree with this statement, avoid the top two gears in whatever you're driving for the next week and report back.

The A341 autobox has a similar top gear ratio to the ZF in the Discos or the manual box in Discos and Defenders.
    So your gearing on stock diffs is very close to a stock vehicle. But your 1UZ makes (should make) double the power of anything diesel ever installed in a solid axle LR, and 50% more than the most powerful LR V8, all of which pull the exact same standard gearing- and taller- without issue.

If you can floor that car without it scaring you and without you needing to dial in some serious steering action to fight the torque steer- which gets exciting on the gear change when you need to dial it out fast- then you have a significant loss of power. Find it and fix it. Don't compensate for it by gearing it like a 40kW series truck. When you have fixed it, then evaluate how much TALLER you want to make the gearing to save fuel. Don't do anything more to that truck until it is fixed. Don't mod to work around a defect. Just don't.

My 90 has a stock but well tuned 1UZ and I'm pulling gearing about 7% taller than stock. It's hard to hold in a straight line in first gear and veers violently on the shift when it unloads. And it's not a bad handling vehicle as I'll happily do 160 with one hand on the wheel. Fly to Cape Town and I'll let you take it for a spin. There's no reason yours shouldn't be the same with basically the same parts.
    I get 400km on 60l
    Rob
    Defender 90 pickup. Lexus V8, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Disco 2 ES TD5
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

Quote Originally Posted by Hagu13 View Post
    So you want to shorten the gearing to compensate for a lack of power and a dodgy gearbox.
    Shorter gearing will increase revs and increase fuel consumption. If you disagree with this statement, avoid the top two gears in whatever you're driving for the next week and report back.

The A341 autobox has a similar top gear ratio to the ZF in the Discos or the manual box in Discos and Defenders.
    So your gearing on stock diffs is very close to a stock vehicle. But your 1UZ makes (should make) double the power of anything diesel ever installed in a solid axle LR, and 50% more than the most powerful LR V8, all of which pull the exact same standard gearing- and taller- without issue.

If you can floor that car without it scaring you and without you needing to dial in some serious steering action to fight the torque steer- which gets exciting on the gear change when you need to dial it out fast- then you have a significant loss of power. Find it and fix it. Don't compensate for it by gearing it like a 40kW series truck. When you have fixed it, then evaluate how much TALLER you want to make the gearing to save fuel. Don't do anything more to that truck until it is fixed. Don't mod to work around a defect. Just don't.

My 90 has a stock but well tuned 1UZ and I'm pulling gearing about 7% taller than stock. It's hard to hold in a straight line in first gear and veers violently on the shift when it unloads. And it's not a bad handling vehicle as I'll happily do 160 with one hand on the wheel. Fly to Cape Town and I'll let you take it for a spin. There's no reason yours shouldn't be the same with basically the same parts.
    I get 400km on 60l
    basically what I said in post #20: the 1UZ on standard gearing should frighten you:

5 Speed Transmission Ratios (A650E)
    First = 3.357
    Second=2.150
    Third= 1.424
    Fourth= 1
    Fifth= 0.753

Cruising speed = 120km/h

1.4 Transfer case

Standard 235/85-16 tyres @ 32 inches

Standard 3.54 diffs

That means you are only into your torque peak @ 160km/h in 5th, @ 120km/h in 4th, @90km/h in 3rd, @ 60km/h in 2nd, and @ 35km/h in 1st

heck, if an anemic 100kW Rover 3.5 low comp V8 can push the 110 to over 160 when in good tune, this thing should be punching out at 240km/h

There is something BADLY wrong with this Lexus
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Torque is near flat across the rev range. Ignore the peak. You only need enough to overcome rolling resistance and drag.I got 340nm everywhere over 2500rpm (we started the final pull at 2500 but it came in flat so I expect it was doing much the same at 2000) but only 374 peak. So only about 10% variation
    The Lexus motor revs well and has a lot of power and a moderate amount of torque so people always say it's not torquey and needs to be revved, however rev for rev it out torques a Rover 4.6 V8. Even just off idle. It just out powers it by further than it out torques it.
    So again, on stock gearing, there's enough torque available to roll the rig easily. The only cars that are geared to redline in top gear are race cars, and they are geared differently for each circuit based on hte length of the longest straight. Every road car in existence is overgeared. Most cars reach top speed in the second from top gear and actually can't hold that speed after shifting to top.

I think the smoking gun here is your gearbox hunting around. It shouldn't do that and that tells me there's a mismatch between what the box expects from the engine based on throttle position, vacuum and speed increase, and what the engine is actually producing. Remember your 3t weight does nothing on a dyno except improve traction on the rollers. So if your gearbox thinks you're going uphill and tries to kick back while on the rollers with weight and aerodynamics out of the picture, something is wrong.
    Rob
    Defender 90 pickup. Lexus V8, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Disco 2 ES TD5
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

Quote Originally Posted by Hagu13 View Post
    Torque is near flat across the rev range. Ignore the peak. You only need enough to overcome rolling resistance and drag.I got 340nm everywhere over 2500rpm (we started the final pull at 2500 but it came in flat so I expect it was doing much the same at 2000) but only 374 peak. So only about 10% variation
    The Lexus motor revs well and has a lot of power and a moderate amount of torque so people always say it's not torquey and needs to be revved, however rev for rev it out torques a Rover 4.6 V8. Even just off idle. It just out powers it by further than it out torques it.
    So again, on stock gearing, there's enough torque available to roll the rig easily.
    That's what I thought as well. There is something badly wrong with Shawn's rig if it averages under 5km/L and doesn't perform.

He has a front cut VVTi engine & box with factory ECU and TCU: that's as close as plug & play as possible and should be 4 wires to run.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Even factory ECU's and TCU's can be damaged.. Maybe something when wrong before it became a front cut.. Replace ECU and TCU..

1990 Toyota Hilux - In process..
    The more people I meet the more I like my dog..
    Real 4x4's have splash guards, not sump guards..

Quote Originally Posted by Willied View Post
    Even factory ECU's and TCU's can be damaged.. Maybe something when wrong before it became a front cut.. Replace ECU and TCU..
    I think you might be spot on.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Thumbs up Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

and then?
    Owned
    1999 Colt Rodeo 3.0 V6 4x4-Build
    2005 Chevrolet Lumina UTE SS 5.7 V8 Auto - Build
    Sold
    1998 Pajero Gen 2 SWB 3.0 V6 4x4 - Resurrection
    1997 Ford Ranchero Outback 4.0 4x2 -
    Build
    1979 Landrover Series 3 88" Ford 3.0 V6 4x4- Build
    1980 Landrover Range Rover 3.5 V8 4x4 - Build
    1979 Landrover S2A 109" with Chev 4.1 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by clivemd View Post
    Diff ratio is 3.54 on all coil sprung defenders and disco's if you have rover long nose Diffs front and back I think like the 90 and disco,you can get 2.78 crown wheel and pinions. the defender has rover long nose front and p38 or salsbary back and you can not get lower then 3.54 for the back or go 35" tires will help
    changing of the transfer case ratio gears from 1.44 to 1.22 and also get a 1.003 are your options
    and in my opinion I would not touch spitronics, you would be better off using the original Lexus ECU or go megasquirt 3

my defender is running LS1 megasquirt ECU 4l80e auto and LT230 with 1.22 gears which I am changing next year to 1.003 and using 35" tires
    At 120 I want to do 1900 to 2000 RPM at moment doing around 2300
    anyone still on this thread

Hi Clive did you ever manage to change the transfer case ratios to 1.003 I recently changed mine to 1.2 from 1.4 and its made the world of a difference on the top gears i now cruise at 120kmph at around 2700 rpm with 31 inch tyres . i want to drop the ratios even further but want to hear from someone who has already made the change 110 defender stock 3uz ecu with a 2 inch lift and standard 3.5 diffs

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pavli View Post
    anyone still on this thread

Hi Clive did you ever manage to change the transfer case ratios to 1.003 I recently changed mine to 1.2 from 1.4 and its made the world of a difference on the top gears i now cruise at 120kmph at around 2700 rpm with 31 inch tyres . i want to drop the ratios even further but want to hear from someone who has already made the change 110 defender stock 3uz ecu with a 2 inch lift and standard 3.5 diffs

thanks
    I would think stay as is. I changed from 1.2 to 1.4, but that is with a 1UZ and autobox. 265/75 R16 tyres.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilk For This Useful Post:

I tried the 1.003 ratio but was not right so went back to the 1.222, it was just question of swooping LT230 over as have one with the 1.222 ratio and one with 1.003 which is now in store room
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

Unhappy Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

I tried the 1.003 ratio but was not right so went back to the 1.222, it was just question of swooping LT230 over as have one with the 1.222 ratio and one with 1.003 which is now in store room
    Thanks for the feedback

flip...... i was hoping not hear that
    I see Ashcroft do a 1.100 which might be a better fit i would like to bring down my revs to around 2300 doing 120kmph
    cruising at that rev range would be great for long trips and great for fuel efficiency

What were your revs like with 1.003 ? not enough torque?

thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Pavli View Post
    Thanks for the feedback

flip...... i was hoping not hear that
    I see Ashcroft do a 1.100 which might be a better fit i would like to bring down my revs to around 2300 doing 120kmph
    cruising at that rev range would be great for long trips and great for fuel efficiency

What were your revs like with 1.003 ? not enough torque?

thanks for the help
    it prob will work for the Lexus as the RPM range is different for it compared to a Yank 8, Lexus IS hi Reving and Yank is low down
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

it prob will work for the Lexus as the RPM range is different for it compared to a Yank 8, Lexus IS hi Reving and Yank is low down
    Thanks Clive will look into the gear set change.
    Lockers and gear Ratios are next on my agenda to change

if you're ever looking to sell that transfer case with the 1.003 ratios let me know

thanks for the help

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast