Defender Defender V8 Lexus queries - Page 4

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: Defender V8 Lexus queries

Quote Originally Posted by shauncooper View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.

So if a sum this up and understand correctly (and I could be way off base) - if I want to cruise comfortable at say 120km/h in final gear (5th), I need to be as close to the optimum torque curve (in the case of the Lexus around 4,000rpm) as possible. There are three main areas to adjust to adjust the rpm - diff ratio's/transfer case gear ratio/tire size.

With my current setup (using the gearing as per Jelo's post) of 1.41 TC, 3.54 diffs, 265/75/16 tire size (80cm or 31.5inch diameter), I would be somewhere around 2,900 rpm at 120km/h.

Given that the smallest gains to be made are in tire size, I will keep tire size constant for purposes of analysis.

• If I change only the diff ratio to 4.7 as has been suggested, the RPM will be very close to spot on at 3,973 [email protected]/h.
    • If I had to change only the Transfer Case (as has also been suggested) from 1.4 to 1.2, RPM will be 2,570 [email protected]/h which is lower than it is with my current setup, so I don't believe this is feasible.
    • If I changed the diff ratio to 4.7 AND the transfer case to 1.2, RPM will be at 3,412 [email protected]/hr

So it seems to me that my best possible setup is only to change the diffs to 4.7.

I'm assuming weight of vehicle shouldn't be considered in this equation as regardless of the weight, you want to be at your "sweet spot" in the RPM range which, in my case, is 4,000RPM?

Am I on the right track here?

So my big problem seems to be sourcing the correct diffs - I'm struggling to find the 4.7's either online or anywhere in my area (East London)...
    My Landy gearing is now exactly same as yours "1.41 TC, 3.54 diffs, 265/75/16 tire size (80cm or 31.5inch diameter)," except for the Gearbox. A341E (1990-1994) with 0.705 ratio in top (4). So it will cruise about 8km/h faster at 3000rpm than yours. If it is me, I won't change the diff ratios. I am not saying it won't help with fuel economy but if by how much?

So if a sum this up and understand correctly (and I could be way off base) - if I want to cruise comfortable at say 120km/h in final gear (5th), I need to be as close to the optimum torque curve (in the case of the Lexus around 4,000rpm) as possible. There are three main areas to adjust to adjust the rpm - diff ratio's/transfer case gear ratio/tire size.

With my current setup (using the gearing as per Jelo's post) of 1.41 TC, 3.54 diffs, 265/75/16 tire size (80cm or 31.5inch diameter), I would be somewhere around 2,900 rpm at 120km/h.

[LIST][*]If I change only the diff ratio to 4.7 as has been suggested, the RPM will be very close to spot on at 3,973 [email protected]/h.]

I'm assuming weight of vehicle shouldn't be considered in this equation as regardless of the weight, you want to be at your "sweet spot" in the RPM range which, in my case, is 4,000RPM?

I guess comfortable and affordable are two different things...

Going 120 in a brick @4000 rpm may be comfortable, but sure as hell not affordable!!

General concensus is that you would like to cruise in 5th at 2400-2600 rpm, which you are very close to already, and maybe spot on if driving at 110...? If you require more response, drop to 4th and your rpms should be near perfect, and fourth is the least stress on your box.

On the efficiency note, I easily get 8-8,5km/l at 100-105, but a mere 6km/l doing 120 at about 3300rpm. Theoretically doing 140 at 4000 I will be cruising lekker, but I fear drag/wind resistance will have the last laugh when filling up next time...

youtube clips

Gen 2 2.8TDi, running with a Lexus heart since 290000kms
    - developed a drinking problem since - V8 inception 2014/03/28
    - looking up after some driver rehabilitation and fine tuning (5.5-8.7km/l) 2015/08/14
    - keep the wheels on the ground at all times - 2014/12/04
    - body maintenance completed -
    2015/02/19
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem is with the gearing/ratios as it is, any hint of an incline and I inevitably have to drop to third and run at high rev anyway to avoid dropping below 80km/hr... there is just no power down at 2,000 rpm for fifth or fourth to maintain speed.

Quite honestly I think my old Puma diesel motor would hold hills better than the Lexus currently is. It's very frustrating.

The problem is with the gearing/ratios as it is, any hint of an incline and I inevitably have to drop to third and run at high rev anyway to avoid dropping below 80km/hr... there is just no power down at 2,000 rpm for fifth or fourth to maintain speed.

Quite honestly I think my old Puma diesel motor would hold hills better than the Lexus currently is. It's very frustrating.
    I hear your frustration. However, you pointed out in your previous post that you are running at 2900rpm doing 120. Now that is surely delivering enough power - I recently noticed my temps going high towing ORT, laden in fith gear going out duToits kloof as I wasn't paying attention, the v8 merely runs leisurely with enough grunt without having to push it. With that in mind and taking your experience into consideration, I have to agree with some previous comments that your lexus probably isn't running properly.

youtube clips

Gen 2 2.8TDi, running with a Lexus heart since 290000kms
    - developed a drinking problem since - V8 inception 2014/03/28
    - looking up after some driver rehabilitation and fine tuning (5.5-8.7km/l) 2015/08/14
    - keep the wheels on the ground at all times - 2014/12/04
    - body maintenance completed -
    2015/02/19
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by larry007 View Post
    I hear your frustration. However, you pointed out in your previous post that you are running at 2900rpm doing 120. Now that is surely delivering enough power - I recently noticed my temps going high towing ORT, laden in fith gear going out duToits kloof as I wasn't paying attention, the v8 merely runs leisurely with enough grunt without having to push it. With that in mind and taking your experience into consideration, I have to agree with some previous comments that your lexus probably isn't running properly.
    I must agree

@ 2900rpm should give you minimum 300Nm on the Lex 1UZ.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I must agree

@ 2900rpm should give you minimum 300Nm on the Lex 1UZ.
    My dyno pulls started at 2500rpm. The torque was already 340Nm and held completely flat until 3000 then increased to 374. Was still over 340 at redline.

I've set the box up to not kick back unless I get really greedy on the throttle. There's plenty torque to climb hills with very little change in throttle position. At maybe 25% throttle (a guess, I don't have my maps open in front of me) the TC lockup kicks out, and at maybe 50% it will drop a gear. It never needs that for going up hills, only for overtaking.
    Rob
    Defender 90 pickup. Lexus V8, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Disco 2 ES TD5
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

Given that the smallest gains to be made are in tire size, I will keep tire size constant for purposes of analysis.

• If I change only the diff ratio to 4.7 as has been suggested, the RPM will be very close to spot on at 3,973 [email protected]/h.
    • If I had to change only the Transfer Case (as has also been suggested) from 1.4 to 1.2, RPM will be 2,570 [email protected]/h which is lower than it is with my current setup, so I don't believe this is feasible.
    • If I changed the diff ratio to 4.7 AND the transfer case to 1.2, RPM will be at 3,412 [email protected]/hr

So it seems to me that my best possible setup is only to change the diffs to 4.7.

So my big problem seems to be sourcing the correct diffs - I'm struggling to find the 4.7's either online or anywhere in my area (East London)...

I disagree
    If the motor is making enough torque to cruise on light throttle and pick up responsively at 2400rpm at 120km/h, why do you want to howl along at 4000? It will be too loud, too frantic, too thirsty, and will leap around at the slightest change in throttle position.
    Taller gearing is always better, as long as you have the torque to pull it.
    A D2 V8 for example with stock (1.21, 3.54) gearing, but with tyre sizes increased to 33" (13% bigger) will struggle to cruise at 100 in top as there isn't enough torque. Will do 120 easily though as the torque has caught up.
    Lexus is happy on the same gearing at all speeds and will probably pull significantly taller gearing.

Best is build it with stock gearing and run it. If it won't pull stock gearing something is wrong. Like about 4 dead cylinders. If it pulls it too easily (it probably will) slap bigger tyres on it which will be cheaper than changing metal parts and bigger tyres come with several advantages of their own.
    Next step is try to trade your TC with a Disco owner who has put big tyres on and has the problem I mentioned above.
    After that you can consider diff ratios
    Rob
    Defender 90 pickup. Lexus V8, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Disco 2 ES TD5
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

Ok, so that leaves me pondering all the previous discussion and suggestions regarding diff and TC gearing.

I don't really know where to go to from here, there are not enough, if any, local (East London) guys with knowledge of Lexus V8's I would imagine to help me out. I am just the very frustrated owner, not the installer of the engine and we (the mechanic and I) have been "testing" for close on 6 months now with very little improvement. The long and the short of it is that at any hint of an incline the Landy will drop speed dramatically and for me to keep up any momentum to try and maintain 100 or so km/hr she has to shift down to 3rd and screams along. Third will pull all the way to about 120km/hr and when it goes into fourth again the speed just drops off and you end up repeating the process. Very annoying and not what I would expect from V8.

My mechanic tells me the plugs are burning a beautiful brown colour and do not show signs of lean or rich burn. At low speeds the Landy is, for the most part, peppy and quick enough (although sometimes it feels like it is bogging slightly and stutters a bit). Its open road cruising where my problem comes in. Although the mechanic believes she is running clean because of the plugs, I still have my doubts and believe she is running rich as on gear changes you can often witness a small puff of black smoke from the exhaust.

So - if its not gearing/diffs and a tuning issue - where do I start to diagnose?

So - if its not gearing/diffs and a tuning issue - where do I start to diagnose?
    get a flatbed and get it to a proper tuning shop that understands the ECU

http://www.spitronics.com/dealers/de...stern_cape.php
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

get a flatbed and get it to a proper tuning shop that understands the ECU

http://www.spitronics.com/dealers/de...stern_cape.php
    The OP use the original ECU/TCU

"I have the 4.0 VVTi engine coupled with 5-speed Toyota/Lexus and standard ECU/TCU."

Quote Originally Posted by Wilk View Post
    The OP use the original ECU/TCU

"I have the 4.0 VVTi engine coupled with 5-speed Toyota/Lexus and standard ECU/TCU."
    then I'm stumped.

One of those guys will have a clue and a dyno though.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Ok, so that leaves me pondering all the previous discussion and suggestions regarding diff and TC gearing.

I don't really know where to go to from here, there are not enough, if any, local (East London) guys with knowledge of Lexus V8's I would imagine to help me out. I am just the very frustrated owner, not the installer of the engine and we (the mechanic and I) have been "testing" for close on 6 months now with very little improvement. The long and the short of it is that at any hint of an incline the Landy will drop speed dramatically and for me to keep up any momentum to try and maintain 100 or so km/hr she has to shift down to 3rd and screams along. Third will pull all the way to about 120km/hr and when it goes into fourth again the speed just drops off and you end up repeating the process. Very annoying and not what I would expect from V8.

My mechanic tells me the plugs are burning a beautiful brown colour and do not show signs of lean or rich burn. At low speeds the Landy is, for the most part, peppy and quick enough (although sometimes it feels like it is bogging slightly and stutters a bit). Its open road cruising where my problem comes in. Although the mechanic believes she is running clean because of the plugs, I still have my doubts and believe she is running rich as on gear changes you can often witness a small puff of black smoke from the exhaust.

Remember it's fuel injected, so a dead injector will drop a cylinder without the plug looking funny.
    The old fashioned popping off the plug wires one at a time should show you if you have all 8 running. Remember to disable the idle control before you do this.
    Also look at whether you're getting the throttle fully open when the pedal is all the way down.
    Are you just running a startup map or have you tuned it? Are you running a lambda sensor?

Call Spitronics and chat to Ian. He can help you faultfind on the phone, can refer you to a knowledgeable tuner near you, and even email you some dyno tuned maps which should be close to what you need.

My gearing is longer than yours but my car is lighter, so I expect we should have similar performance, when yours is working ok, including a decent dyno tune.
    Flooring it from standstill I usually don't spin it on tar, but I have limited slip diffs and huge tyres. It does light them up sometimes though. Running it hard through first I need to dial in nearly 90 degrees of steering to fight the torque steer, then snap it straight again on the shift to second before repeating it a bit less.
    Flooring it from cruise (allowing kickback) at any speed the handling allows gives a boot up the rear like you've been rear ended, and steering input is needed again for the torque steer.
    I also once took it to 100 in low range and floored it, but it nearly jumped off the road from the torque.
    Normal driving, I'm in top gear locked up before 60 and it responds well to throttle. Mild overtaking at any speeds can be done without kickback.
    I haven't ever run it side by side with my AC Cobra, but I think it will beat it up to at least 120. Definitely will beat it up to 20 or so because of traction.
    Rob
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Disco 2 ES TD5
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

then I'm stumped.

One of those guys will have a clue and a dyno though.
    Ian Kotze van Spitronics in George dad from DynaTune knows engines. He tuned mine but its running Spitronics. If there is a fault he will be able to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagu13 View Post
    Remember it's fuel injected, so a dead injector will drop a cylinder without the plug looking funny.
    The old fashioned popping off the plug wires one at a time should show you if you have all 8 running. Remember to disable the idle control before you do this.
    Also look at whether you're getting the throttle fully open when the pedal is all the way down.
    Are you just running a startup map or have you tuned it? Are you running a lambda sensor?

Call Spitronics and chat to Ian. He can help you faultfind on the phone, can refer you to a knowledgeable tuner near you, and even email you some dyno tuned maps which should be close to what you need.

My gearing is longer than yours but my car is lighter, so I expect we should have similar performance, when yours is working ok, including a decent dyno tune.
    Flooring it from standstill I usually don't spin it on tar, but I have limited slip diffs and huge tyres. It does light them up sometimes though. Running it hard through first I need to dial in nearly 90 degrees of steering to fight the torque steer, then snap it straight again on the shift to second before repeating it a bit less.
    Flooring it from cruise (allowing kickback) at any speed the handling allows gives a boot up the rear like you've been rear ended, and steering input is needed again for the torque steer.
    I also once took it to 100 in low range and floored it, but it nearly jumped off the road from the torque.
    Normal driving, I'm in top gear locked up before 60 and it responds well to throttle. Mild overtaking at any speeds can be done without kickback.
    I haven't ever run it side by side with my AC Cobra, but I think it will beat it up to at least 120. Definitely will beat it up to 20 or so because of traction.
    Bliksems!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hagu13 View Post
    I disagree
    If the motor is making enough torque to cruise on light throttle and pick up responsively at 2400rpm at 120km/h, why do you want to howl along at 4000? It will be too loud, too frantic, too thirsty, and will leap around at the slightest change in throttle position.
    Taller gearing is always better, as long as you have the torque to pull it.
    A D2 V8 for example with stock (1.21, 3.54) gearing, but with tyre sizes increased to 33" (13% bigger) will struggle to cruise at 100 in top as there isn't enough torque. Will do 120 easily though as the torque has caught up.
    Lexus is happy on the same gearing at all speeds and will probably pull significantly taller gearing.

Best is build it with stock gearing and run it. If it won't pull stock gearing something is wrong. Like about 4 dead cylinders. If it pulls it too easily (it probably will) slap bigger tyres on it which will be cheaper than changing metal parts and bigger tyres come with several advantages of their own.
    Next step is try to trade your TC with a Disco owner who has put big tyres on and has the problem I mentioned above.
    After that you can consider diff ratios
    I am with Hagu13 on this one.
    Puma 92kw @ 3500rpm and 360nm @ 2000rpm.
    Puma makes around 80kw @ 2000rpm
    Puma [email protected] and 306nm @ 3500 rpm

Lexus 1uz 195kw @ 5600 and 363nm @ 4400
    Lexus 1uz 90kw @ 2000 and 306nm @ 2000
    Lexus 1uz [email protected] and [email protected] 3500rpm

On paper the Lexus should pull the same ratios better than the Puma. Slippage in the auto box should help the Lexus.
    Remember you are running a program for a car on the auto box. It might be wise to reprogram to accommodate the Puma ratios and vehicle weight. Still thinks that Lexus is down on power
    Last edited by grips; 2016/11/22 at 05:17 PM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilk View Post
    Ian Kotze van Spitronics in George dad from DynaTune knows engines. He tuned mine but its running Spitronics. If there is a fault he will be able to fix it.
    there we go
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Will be trying to get it on the dyno.

I already have the front drive-shaft out as we took that out to try and see if that was perhaps a factor in the shudder I mentioned on pull off and also possibly contributing to fuel consumption and low power somehow. Doesnt seem to have made much noticeable difference.

Is there anybody in the Eastern Cape area who has done Lexus V8 conversion on Defender 110 that might be willing to take me for a drive to compare to my vehicle? Maybe I am just expecting too much (my previous vehicle was a 650hp Supercharged Ford Raptor in Dubai, although for a 6.2l V8 also weighing in at 3 ton I was getting an average of between 23 and 25 l/100km and that includes desert driving every weekend where I was known to run about 60 l/100km). So getting closer to 30 l/100km really isn't ideal in the landy.

Maybe I am just expecting too much (my previous vehicle was a 650hp Supercharged Ford Raptor in Dubai, although for a 6.2l V8 also weighing in at 3 ton I was getting an average of between 23 and 25 l/100km and that includes desert driving every weekend where I was known to run about 60 l/100km). So getting closer to 30 l/100km really isn't ideal in the landy.
    Live will never be the same after the Raptor. Chuck out the Lexus and install a proper Yankee v8. I am sure you will not have a problem motivating the Landy A nice little 302 Ford with Edelbrock Top End kit makes the same torque at 2500 than the Lexus do at 4400
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Live will never be the same after the Raptor. Chuck out the Lexus and install a proper Yankee v8. I am sure you will not have a problem motivating the Landy A nice little 302 Ford with Edelbrock Top End kit makes the same torque at 2500 than the Lexus do at 4400
    I think Grips is right. Go back to basics: no EFI.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Will be trying to get it on the dyno.

I already have the front drive-shaft out as we took that out to try and see if that was perhaps a factor in the shudder I mentioned on pull off and also possibly contributing to fuel consumption and low power somehow. Doesnt seem to have made much noticeable difference.

Is there anybody in the Eastern Cape area who has done Lexus V8 conversion on Defender 110 that might be willing to take me for a drive to compare to my vehicle? Maybe I am just expecting too much (my previous vehicle was a 650hp Supercharged Ford Raptor in Dubai, although for a 6.2l V8 also weighing in at 3 ton I was getting an average of between 23 and 25 l/100km and that includes desert driving every weekend where I was known to run about 60 l/100km). So getting closer to 30 l/100km really isn't ideal in the landy.
    There is a guy who does Lexus conversions in Jeffreys Bay. His name is Nellis. If you interested I can try to get his contact details. Plett bit far of and I will only be there 23rd Dec - 20 Jan.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilk For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast