Road conditions from Mana Pools to Matusadona and Vic Falls

Default Road conditions from Mana Pools to Matusadona and Vic Falls

I have been told that the road conditions from Mana Pools via Karoi and across to Matusadona then on to Binga and Vic Falls via Siabuwa the Chizarira Hills are really very bad and should be avoided at all costs.
    If anyone has travelled this route fairly recently I would very much appreciate some feedback.

Thanks

Neville Lance

Default Re: Road conditions from Mana Pools to Matusadona and Vic Falls

Hi Neville,

we just did it the other way round: Binga to Mana Pools via Chizarira, Matusadona, Kariba.

The "main road" between Binga to Karoi is not too bad. In some parts corrugated, washed out and potholed.

We had the following travel times:
    Masuma/Binga to Chizarira turn off: almost two hours
    Chizarira turn off to the top: 1 hour - this is a tough road but doable, just go slowly, low gear is fine
    Matusadona turn off to Tashinga: four hours (very tough road, a bit worse than Chizarira and much longer, a pleasure for 4x4 enthusiasts, at one part an older track has been refurbished and is well signposted)
    Chizarira to Tashinga: almost eight hours

Chizarira and Matusadona were both very deserted - there are registrations every ten days or so!
    For Chizarira bring your own bucket and water or fill up at the ranger station

Views and atmosphere in both parks are stunning and special, game is rare and shy. Donīt think I would go there again although "avoid it at all costs" is pushing it a bit

Mabe

We travelled the main road between Mana Pools via Karoi to Binga in one long day in September. It is not too bad, no deep sand there. I did the mistake around Fulechi and lost 1 hour, but is was very scenic detour. We had two punctures (one on each car), both unrepairable side cut and had to buy the new tyres in VF.

Thanks for the responses so far guys - we are traveling in April next year (2017), so ideally need to know what is likely to happen to the roads over the rainy season and how they end up - so I'll keep this thread running until mid-March.
    Thanks again

You can always take the chicken run ;d;d;d

Name:  DSCF1631.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  76.4 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to imgreg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nevillelance View Post
    I have been told that the road conditions from Mana Pools via Karoi and across to Matusadona then on to Binga and Vic Falls via Siabuwa the Chizarira Hills are really very bad and should be avoided at all costs.
    If anyone has travelled this route fairly recently I would very much appreciate some feedback.

Thanks

Neville Lance
    Hi Neville

The road that you are talking about is well used by the overlanders and is an awesome drive, exciting and not hard but travel slow and carefully specially on the rocky sections. It is not at all that bad and I would certainly drive it tomorrow and not to be avoided. The views are stunning and well worh it and not to be missed. Go for it and I'm sure you will not be disappointed by Chizirira and Tashinga ( Matusadona)

So would it be manageable with a trailer as long as you take it easy and slowly?
    Regards

Andrew

1977 S3 SWB
    2009 Defender Wagon

Previously ... how long have you got?

I did the trip last year in July/Aug with a Companion. It is doable and yes you must take it slow. There are areas where the shrub will scratch your car and your 4X4 caravan/trailer. I would not travel this road in the rainy season or soon thereafter- wash aways!

Thanks again for the advice everyone - I'm going to keep this thread going through to the end of March.

We did this shortcut with a Landrover Defender pulling a 1 ton trailer and made it BUT, we luckily didn't meet people coming from the other side, in many places there is no way 2 vehicles can pass. I think it's not for beginners, once going up from Kariba there is no way you can change your mind and turn around, the road is just too narrow. Anyway, fun and games.

We attempted the Kariba, Makuti, Tashinga road in December last year in a 4-Runner 4x4 no trailer. Got to the Gubu River crossing and it was completely washed out - the remnants of the concrete "bridge" was visible downstream quite a way - zero chance we could make it up the other side even with a winch. Had to turn back. The road was in the process of being "graded" but it was bloody awful. No punctures, just very rocky and very slow. The bypass section (which we only used one way) was much better but it still took us north of 6 hours to get back to the very potholed and slow road back to Makuti. As previously mentioned, the game was very sparse (couple of zebra and buffalo) and extremely shy - never even heard a hyena or lion when we camped on the shores of the Gubu that night. Please report back to us on current conditions. Have a wonderful trip.

PS On our way back, the gate guy told us the last visitors were on Nov 21 - almost a month prior to us - never mentioned anything to us on our way in :-)

Can someone add a map on this one please.

map on what? Matusadona?

Have a look here not much has changed

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...mp-Gache-Gache

Quote Originally Posted by nevillelance View Post
    Thanks again for the advice everyone - I'm going to keep this thread going through to the end of March.
    Any feedback? Did you do the trip and how did it go?
    Peet Schultz