Hummer H3 ( Base ) or Fortuner ?

Arrow Hummer H3 ( Base ) or Fortuner ?

Yea, really. For under R200 000, I can buy a Gen 1 Fortuner 4x4 manual D-4D with about 150 000km, or a Hummer H3 base model "Hydra-matic".

How capable are the base model Hummer. I would have liked the Adventure with the diff locks on both axles, but this deal is on the base model. How capable are this model, compared to the average 4x4 like the Fortuner or Hilux for example? Are the traction control any good, and does it work with the rear diff lock engaged?

Any help would be appreciated. I really would not like to look like an a$$ with the Hummer getting stuck everywhere.
    'n FJ; 'n XT en 'n Bantam.
    Uitgesort !

Default Re: Hummer H3 ( Base ) or Fortuner ?

Hummer with under 100 000 km...
    Uitgesort !

Hi Swernoot.

all 3 trim levels (Base, Luxury and Adventure) of the Hummer h3 has the same traction control. It works amazing once you get the hang of it (keep your right food constant on the pedal and don't lift off, consistency is key)

All 3 trim levels is permanent 4WD/AWD with hi range center diff unlocked, high range center diff locked and then low range center diff locked

the Base and Lux model has a transfer crawl ratio of 2.56 to 1 and the adventure model has the 4.1 to 1 ratio

only the Adventure model has the additional rear locking differential, and I believe from 2009 onward had the front locking differential as well. (note it was an option to purchase an adventure model and have the Lux accessories fitted I.e. sunroof etc)
    -

The choice would be application.

If it is a 4x4 toy then the hummer all the way.

If it is for long distance over landing the Toyota 100%.

The hummers is extremely capable off road but fuel will kill you on a long trip.

Enjoy the process.

Not true. Mal Hannes the Hummer gets same and sometimes even better consumtion figures than the 4L petrol Fortuner. I prefer to use the Hummer for my long trips due to the cumfort and ease of use.
    -

I can't argue but he is comparing the diesel fortuner with a petrol hummer.

My recommendation stands I love the hummer and would buy one as a toy any day.

But if consumption is not an issue I would buy the hummer.

For interest sake do you use your hummer as your daily drive and what consumption do you get.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:

Would love to use the Hummer as my dauly drive, but as you have said. You purchase a cegicle for the specific needs. My daily commute to work and back is 94km and for that trip I use my 320D that averages 20km/liter. On Fridays I alternate between the BT50 and the Hummer and with my relaxed driving I actually obtain 8.5km/liter with the 5.3L V8
    -

Yip that is brilliant I got closer to 7-7.5 in my 4l Toyota and 9.5 in my d4d so with that consumption I would also drive the hummer.
    Last edited by Mal Hannes; 2016/11/06 at 01:17 PM.

Dankie vir die raad...

This 09 model is the 3.7 Lux, but with rear diff lock. Built JAN 2008 on the plates. No rear diff lock.

According to the salesman, he checked the VIN no, this is the LUX model. Heated and electric seats, chrome mirrors and door handles.
    I saw a rear diff lock, but no front locker. I would like the cast iron transfer case and lower ratio.

There was also a problem with the cats, which they will remove today.

SWAMBO is still looking for a Fortuner and hates the look of the Hummer.
    Uitgesort !

Quote Originally Posted by Swernoot View Post
    Dankie vir die raad...

This 09 model is the 3.7 Lux, but with rear diff lock. Built JAN 2008 on the plates. No rear diff lock.

According to the salesman, he checked the VIN no, this is the LUX model. Heated and electric seats, chrome mirrors and door handles.
    I saw a rear diff lock, but no front locker. I would like the cast iron transfer case and lower ratio.

There was also a problem with the cats, which they will remove today.

SWAMBO is still looking for a Fortuner and hates the look of the Hummer.
    Look at the centre console. You will see 3 buttons on the top left indicating high unlocked, high locked and then low locked. Difflock is in the same area just to the right

Both adventure and lux came with heated seats and electric seats, lux has the sunroof as standard (optional extra for adventure)

All transfer cases are cast. I thing youre referring to the front diff being cast Iron and not aluminium?

Removing cats or replacing? Or remiving and installing a mini cat to have no CEL lights on dash?

Happy hunting
    -