Botswana Trip Dec help!!

Default Botswana Trip Dec help!!

Hi

This december i am planing to travel from namibia to Botswana and i need some help in planning my botswana trip.

1) the route. I will be able to enter Central Kalahari on the 14dec and my trip needs to end at kasane on the 21st Dec. any route suggestions?

2)Kalahari is it worth doing Xade Rakops route? Or should i save time by entering via Tsau gate?

3)Camping and bush camping. Where i am allowed to do bush camping? And any camping recomendations? How much of this trip i can do without planning camping bookings. I have read that u need reservations in order to enter parks especially moremi. But maybe already too late to do so..

4) Road conditions in dec. Will i be ok by travelling in only one car? Will be renting most probably a Hilux 2.5TD 4x4 or Nissan navarra 2.5TD Would a winch be useful?

Thank a lot for your help..

What vehicle/s are you traveling in?
    What are you trip objectives?
    How many in the group?
    Toyota Hilux 2.5 D4D SRX https://www.facebook.com/wild.safaris.5/

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Ghandi

There would be only one Vehicle as we are only two in the group. My brother and I.

Still have to decide wich 4x4 camper to rent. Either an Hilux 2.5TD or Navarra 2.5TD

The objective is just to travel around Africa we love driving, adventure and game driving.

Maybe we are covering to much in little time but my brother is coming down from spain and dont think he would have many chances to do another trip like this.

Search here for forthcoming trips being planned as well as past reports. There's a mine of information.
    - Book early for the Parks, you may not get bookings for December
    - I'm going in March, also 1 vehicle, and am avoiding Central Kalahari for that reason, I'd prefer 2 vehicles.
    - So I'm doing Kgalgadi Transfrontier Park(KTP) - Mabua area, and Khutse.
    - You could go the same route i.e. KTP Mabua, Khutse, up through the Makgadigadi Pans, Nata, Kasane - Could be a rush tho, think of shortening.?
    - Or go straight up to Kasane, Vic Falls first, the Chobe and home, skip the lower end for this trip.

If you do KTP, Khutse you'll need to be able to carry extra fuel.
    Call me if you like for more help on planning. 0 8 4 - 0 2 0 - 4 6 5 5
    I'm sure more experienced members will also contribute advice.
    Toyota Hilux 2.5 D4D SRX https://www.facebook.com/wild.safaris.5/

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Ghandi

Thanks Jhon for your valuable information.

- I will try and phone Botswana central parks tomorrow to see what availability they have for parks in december.

-Going down to Kgalagadi will be a big detour as i am coming from windhoek this is were we pick the car up and travel around Namibia for 4 days. That part of the journey is clear. I will then drop car at Kasane

- I think i might as well skip CKGR and go up straight to moremi and kasane region. Or am I really missing something I will regret? I could just Use the Tsau gate and save time in CKGR. Are the tracks that bad here for going in just one vehicle?

- What would you rguys recomend CKGR or Makgadikgadi and Nxai taking into account I am travelling in december..

Magadigadi pans in December and only one vehicle?? This is looking for trouble. December is in the middle of the rainy season and then the salt pans is a big no-no especialy when you are only one vehicle.
    The rest of Johns trip sounds good but avoid the salt pans.
    Last edited by AndreG; 2008/11/16 at 08:28 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Andre van Rensburg<br>Swambos baby V6 Pajero shorty<br>My overland vehicle "Datsun" 3.3l v6 hardbody d/cab.<br>Play vehicle Sizuki SJ413. Mods: Toyota 2c Diesel engin and 5 speed gearbox, 50mm lift<br>Love the bush, overlanding and crazy about animals.

Ok I think I kind have worked out my route for Botswana.

-13dec Windhoek-Tsau gate maybe even try to reach Motopi camp CKGR

-14dec CKGR Sunday pan camp.

-15dec Kazikini Community camp Just before Moremi South gate entrance

-16dec 3rd bridge or xakanaxa camp

-17dec North gate camp or Khawi community camp

-18dec Linyanti camp or Savuti camp

-19/20dec kasane Maybe Inhaha camp or a lodge (chobe safari lodge)

So what do you think is there anything crazy in this route. Taking into account that will only be one car and it will be in december.

Could I do it into Linyanti camp? Or should I just stay at savuti.

Fingers crossed for camps availability i will phone tomorrow.

I have attached my Mapsource route so any comments are wellcomed
    Attached Files Attached Files

First off, going from sunday pan to kazikini might be a stretch. And given your time constraints, ill consider leaving out the ckgr, and optimizing ur time in moremi & chobi

I strongly suggest renting a satphone!!! In july this year I was woken up by a tour guide in Kori camp CKGR, he has walked about 1km from another campsite becausde their td5 wont start, he had a sat phone and when he phoned for help they was only able to reach him within the next 4 days. He walked passed a tree with a leopard kill in the tree between camp 1 and 4(where we were). I would not go into the ckgr in one vehicle, and if i had to ,id definitely take a satphone with. just a thought.....

p.s. one of my friends had a spare diesel filter and swopping the the filter the td5 started and was running again....
    Last edited by MARCELL; 2008/11/16 at 11:19 PM.

Thanks Marcell for the advise

I already thought about getting a Sat phone.

Is the CKGR that bad to go on one car. I mean are the tracks really bad or is it more because of having a mechanical issue in a remote place?

Hi Guimero,

I have extensively travelled Botswana in all seasons over the last 5 years and can offer you this opinion:

I always travel alone. I use my vehicle to get places, not to drive obstacles, and because I travel alone, I don't take chances. Saying that, Botswana does often through intestinal obstacles in your way and you just have to deal with it.

I found that March is the wettest season as far as driving conditions are concerned, but you can expect to camp in the rain in December and it can actually sometimes be cold. Last year we had to buy more warm clothes in Maun because we though it would always be hot.

Your plan:
    Your first day seems fine. It will be a long day though.

Because of that, I think your second day is far too long. I found that in CKGR a 150km day is about as much as what you'd like to do. You can expect some mud in December, so recovery gear is obviously important. A large portion of the park is sand, and that's rarely a problem, even in the wet season. The biggest mud hole is just as you leave Deception Pan towards Matswere gate.

Sunday Pan to Kazikini camp is not impossible in one day at all. Expect to take 4 hours to reach Rakops, but from there its mostly tar road and another 3.5 hours to Kazikini.

The rest looks fine. The Khwai River Road may be quite flooded, but there are always way around the water. I think Savute is a nicer area than Linyanti, but both camps are fine. Ihaha is spectacular and should not be missed!!!!

Chobe Safari Lodge is great and a sunset boat cruise is a must, even when its raining.

General:
    I have a decent list of spares and tools for my vehicle. I have a high lift jack, a big spade and a winch (Which I have never used to recover myself) and I don't have a sat phone. December is a popular time for South Africans to travel Botswana, so help is never far away if you need it.

Thank you Freeflyd for your information.

I think i will stick to the plan and see what happens..

I will be renting the 4x4 so which recovery gear is a must for this type of traveling?

Hi
    I am planning a trip in December and would like some views on the trip and conditions I should expect, Road conditions in dec etc. will be ok by travelling in only one car with two of us. Will be driving a Toyota prado 3ltr diesel with winch,Snorkel,duel bats,Bridge tyres, 180ltr fuel tank etc. My route is going to be

5th Matswere camp to Barakah camp site
    6th Barakah to Khumaga Campsite
    7th Njuca Hills Campsite or Khumaga Campsite
    8th Maun to 3rd bridge
    9th 3rd bridge to Xakanaxa
    10th Xakanaxa
    11th Xakakanxa to Khwai river lodge camp
    12th Khwai river lodge to Savute public camp site
    13th Savute public camp
    14th Savuti camp site to Linyanti camp site
    15th Linyanti camp site to Savuti camp site
    16th Savuti camp site to Kasane

Any help would be much appreciated on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by chris11 View Post
    Hi
    I am planning a trip in December and would like some views on the trip and conditions I should expect, Road conditions in dec etc. will be ok by travelling in only one car with two of us. Will be driving a Toyota prado 3ltr diesel with winch,Snorkel,duel bats,Bridge tyres, 180ltr fuel tank etc. My route is going to be

5th Matswere camp to Barakah camp site
    6th Barakah to Khumaga Campsite
    7th Njuca Hills Campsite or Khumaga Campsite
    8th Maun to 3rd bridge
    9th 3rd bridge to Xakanaxa
    10th Xakanaxa
    11th Xakakanxa to Khwai river lodge camp
    12th Khwai river lodge to Savute public camp site
    13th Savute public camp
    14th Savuti camp site to Linyanti camp site
    15th Linyanti camp site to Savuti camp site
    16th Savuti camp site to Kasane

Any help would be much appreciated on this one.
    I just wondered how this thread from 2008 is reviving itself, it was addressing me and I haven't even seen it as I was out bush bashing that time.
    Anyhow, that's how I can contribute now.

In general the trip is feasible and should not be a problem.
    The route you describe is well traveled and water levels should stabilize until December. However, you are touring in the rainy season, so expect local showers and thunderstorms and consequently muddy parts of the tracks in marsh areas. Saying that, the rains will be a blessing for the heat and the sandy tracks, so you loose and you win.
    With your equipment and a knowledge how to use it you should be fine.

Note: Khumaga campsite would only be accessible through Puduhudu gate, meaning about 90 kms detour. Boteti river is hindering the direct access.

Then one more issue, why are you returning to Savute from Linyanti on the 15th stay up there and drive directly through the cut line (via Kachikau).
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Thank you very much for the information with regard to Khumaga campsite. If we go from Linyanti onto Kasane via the cut line via ( Kachikau) how long would this journey take in your view and what is the road from Savuti to Linyanti and onwards like in December.

The other thing is would 200ltr of fuel be enough to go through the delta and up to Kasane do you think.

Linyanti - Ihaha (Chobe) takes you about 3-4 hours.

Savuti - Linyanti is partly deep sand but again in 4 hours you can do it.
    Alternatively, take the route via Ghoha Gate and use cut-line to Linyanti, safer in terms of getting stuck but less rewarding in scenery.

200 Ltrs should do, Refuel in Maun then you'll complete about 650 kms on this loop.
    Last edited by Kalahari Safari; 2010/09/21 at 04:37 PM.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

Thanks for the info on this trip, Linyanti - Ihaha (Chobe) takes you about 3-4 hours and is it a nice route to take. which would be better for a few nights would u say Linyanti or Ihaha.

Quote Originally Posted by chris11 View Post
    Thanks for the info on this trip, Linyanti - Ihaha (Chobe) takes you about 3-4 hours and is it a nice route to take. which would be better for a few nights would u say Linyanti or Ihaha.
    Linyanti is a remote place and you are likely to be pretty much alone. Downside is despite its location there are limited options for game drives, just chilling out at the camp.
    Ihaha is prime location and more than 30 kms of waterfront game viewing tracks, if you feel you can stroll along and suck in the scenery and action, alternatively the camps are in a location to remain put for hours as well.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

Thumbs up

Thanks for the heads up on the routes as it's made my mind up for that route. I will have a look at everything and if I get stuck with something I may have to come back on but thanks again.