Fortuner Fortuner or Everest?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fortuner or Everest?

I please need some assistance in making an informed decision on buying a new SUV.
    I am not a robot to robot racer, but need my power especially for overtaking and towing.
    I am also not a serious/extreme off-roader that are constantly looking for a rocky climb or hill to cross.
    I need a 4x4 for my overlanding with a Echo 4x4 trailer. It should be able to handle bad rocky, sandy or muddy roads.

I have to choose between the Everest 3.2 4x4 Auto Ltd, Everest 3.2 4x4 Auto XLT and the Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto.
    Why are there 2 Ford Everest in my selection?
    Because I love the safety and drivers assistance features that comes with the LTD(LIMITED), but not so much sold on the Large 20" Rims and tires standard on the LTD.
    The safety and additional driver aids(BLIS, Active cruise control...) are a big plus for me as I will mostly use the vehicle for tar road cruising(70-80%).
    Other 20-30% is gravel road and overlanding mostly in Botswana and Namibia.
    My concerns on the 20" wheels are: 1) Cost and availability of such tires, 2) Ride quality(or lack thereof) on such large wheels, 3) Such Large tires and rims could be prone to damage when hitting a bad rocky road.
    Not sure if this should be the easy part of my decision, but I would appreciate some advice and comments on this.

The to choose between the Ford Everest XLT and the Toyota Fortuner, both 4x4 Auto.
    These 2 vehicle are almost equally specked and the Fortuner is just a bit cheaper.
    I would appreciate some comments regarding this choice, keeping the following in mind.
    - Fuel Consumption: most reports show Fortuner being more frugal
    Is there really a big difference in real life and everyday driving?
    - Ride quality: Most reports show Everest being more comfortable on uneven surfaces and for long over-landing trips
    - Engine and gearbox performance: Reports say that the Fortuner feels more alive and willing to go, but which will last longer?
    - Reliability of the 2 vehicles (Have read much about problems on the Ford Auto combination, but Toyota have not yet reported any serious problems
    - Resale/Trade-in value: It seem clear that the previous generation toyota's are the best in this area, but will this continue with the new Fortuner?
    Any other information would also be appreciated.
    2014 Ford Ranger 3.2 4x4 D/C Auto
    2015 Ford Ranger 2.2 S/C Man

Default Re: Fortuner or Everest?

I pondered this question for quite a while when I bought. In my case it was between the XLT and the FT 2.8 Manual. (Coincidentally some common points with your needs, e.g. I use my vehicle from A to B, sometimes with an Echo4, and have no need to do Sat afternoon trails etc.)

Took the XLT for a test drive, was I very very impressed! The FT's drive is a MUCH improved drive, but just don't quite get to the level of the Everest. (But still very comfortable)

In short I think it came down to
    - I didn't like the 'slingshot' effect / feeling of the Ford with the initial acceleration
    - Everest a bit too large for me and my garage - that 9 cm (IIRC) + the tow bar layout made a difference
    - Was concerned about fuel consumption of the Everest
    - The ride comfort is def better than the FT's
    - I liked the fact the the Everest is perm 4x4
    - Was a bit concerned re Ford's quality and service (Subjective I know, but formed this opinion after reading some threads on the Ford thread)
    - Liked the fact that the FT came with 17", although that changed now.

In the end I took a financial decision and went for the less pricey one, as the positives of the Everest didn't outweigh the price difference, which was ~R60/70k at that stage. If it was the same price, I would most probably have chosen the Everest (perhaps).

This is so close - my best suggestion would be to go an drive both and take the one you like most.
    Last edited by PieterOos; 2016/11/02 at 11:06 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PieterOos For This Useful Post:

Everest by a country mile.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylinefreak For This Useful Post:

Ask if you can trade the 20" wheels on normal ones, most dealers will be willing to make a plan.

Or even better, fit some nice black aftermarket ones with a chunky AT tyre.

Can sell the 20" rims for a ton of cash.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

Fortuner by 1000 country miles!! Seriously, drive both and buy the one that feels right for you.

If the 20" rims area are a major concern, would Ford not replace with 18"? What I find really strange is that they both seem to have 17" steel spares
    Last edited by Cecilh; 2016/11/02 at 11:18 AM.
    2013 Discovery 4 SDV6S
    2008 Discovery 3 TDV6S (SWAMBO)
    Imagine Comfortvan

Thanks Pieter, appreciate your input.
    It is a tough choice to make!
    Reason finances are not the biggest concern for me at the moment is because I can get a Demo 2016 Everest LTD with 7000km for 619,000 which is considerably less than a new fully kitted Fortuner 2.8 4x4 Auto
    I share your concern on the fuel consumption and the nasty "slingshot effect" of the Everest.
    Hope someone can give me actual long term fuel consumption figures for the Fortuner 2.8 4x4 Auto.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sa_explorer For This Useful Post:

Cecilh,
    Can not agree with you more.
    Not sure why Ford went the 20" route on this vehicle.
    They should have made it an option but kept 17" as the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by PieterOos View Post
    I pondered this question for quite a while when I bought. In my case it was between the XLT and the FT 2.8 Manual. (Coincidentally some common points with your needs, e.g. I use my vehicle from A to B, sometimes with an Echo4, and have no need to do Sat afternoon trails etc.)

Took the XLT for a test drive, was I very very impressed! The FT's drive is a MUCH improved drive, but just don't quite get to the level of the Everest. (But still very comfortable)

In short I think it came down to
    - I didn't like the 'slingshot' effect / feeling of the Ford with the initial acceleration
    - Everest a bit too large for me and my garage - that 9 cm (IIRC) + the tow bar layout made a difference
    - Was concerned about fuel consumption of the Everest
    - The ride comfort is def better than the FT's
    - I liked the fact the the Everest is perm 4x4
    - Was a bit concerned re Ford's quality and service (Subjective I know, but formed this opinion after reading some threads on the Ford thread)
    - Liked the fact that the FT came with 17", although that changed now.

In the end I took a financial decision and went for the less pricey one, as the positives of the Everest didn't outweigh the price difference, which was ~R60/70k at that stage. If it was the same price, I would most probably have chosen the Everest (perhaps).

This is so close - my best suggestion would be to go an drive both and take the one you like most.
    Agree, IMO the Fortuner is fantastic for what it is and as a total package it will be hard to beat..... but in saying that I haven't driven the Everest so won't/can't comment regarding a comparison, (I wish more guys would do the same!!), Its imperative that you go and drive them back to back including some gravel road. I haven't towed with a Fortuner but the 2.8 auto in the Hilux tows very very well!!

(As always thanks skylinefreek for your fantastically insightful ingenious helpful comments!!

Give yourself a pat on the back!)
    FJC - Just Cruising

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:

The plan is to test drive both, but I will have to see if I can get some demo vehicles as I would like to test on gravel road as well.
    I have driven both vehicles for a short distance in town and not much difference between them for me.

But every day driving is where you might find big differences.
    Which is the quieter more vehicle with better road manners on tar roads as well as on uneven gravel roads.
    It is also impossible to judge the fuel consumption during just a short test drive.

This is where I hope that some people can give me real life feedback form actual longer term use.

"Reliability of the 2 vehicles (Have read much about problems on the Ford Auto combination, but Toyota have not yet reported any serious problems"

I see you mention this but notice that you have two Fords.........if you haven't had any issues then maybe go with the Everest??
    FJC - Just Cruising

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skylinefreak View Post
    Everest by a country mile.
    You sure? Not patrol perhaps?
    2011 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    2008 Lexus IS250 V6
    Jaco

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    "Reliability of the 2 vehicles (Have read much about problems on the Ford Auto combination, but Toyota have not yet reported any serious problems"

I see you mention this but notice that you have two Fords.........if you haven't had any issues then maybe go with the Everest??
    Was about to ask and suggest the same! 8)
    2008 Lexus IS250 V6
    Jaco

Have a look at this comparative test. I found it fairly objective
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1OwvIqaQVE
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post

Yes I have personally not had any problems with the Fords, but neither did I have any reliability issues with my Toyota 3.0 D4-D work bakkie!
    I am also not sure if there have been any serious problems with the new 2.8 engine.

I am not Pro Ford or Pro Toyota, both are very good makes.
    If it was an easy choice I would have bought an vehicle already, but I rather get feedback and then make a choice!

2008 Lexus IS250 V6
    Jaco

23. The Following User Says Thank You to JacoE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JacoE View Post
    You sure? Not patrol perhaps?
    Nee. Ou dastbin skaailaain. (too point eit gee tee ex).

2012 Sport FJ Cruiser "Black&White RiceBowl"
    1986 Hilux DC 4x4 "White RiceBowl"

Agteros - you should stick to your rice bowls! - HGBosch

Loads of differing reviews on the net.......here is one (paid for by Toyota obviously)

https://youtu.be/1VAQOmSGuQM

And another.

https://youtu.be/W8FifVuiDTE
    Last edited by dirtshark; 2016/11/02 at 09:07 PM.
    FJC - Just Cruising

26. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:

Does anyone have some actual long term fuel consumption figures for the Fortuner 2.8 4x4 Auto along the following lines:
    - Long term mixed driving?
    - City driving
    - Open road/highway driving at either 120km/h or 130km/h
    - Tow consumption at 80-100km/h

Everest especially Ride quality and interior space deign, though prefer Fortuner interior materials and layout

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast