Ford & Mazda Everest or Fortuner?

Default Everest or Fortuner?

I please need some assistance in making an informed decision on buying a new SUV.
    I am not a robot to robot racer, but need my power especially for overtaking and towing.
    I am also not a serious/extreme off-roader that are constantly looking for a rocky climb or hill to cross.
    I need a 4x4 for my overlanding with a Echo 4x4 trailer. It should be able to handle bad rocky, sandy or muddy roads.

I have to choose between the Everest 3.2 4x4 Auto Ltd, Everest 3.2 4x4 Auto XLT and the Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto.
    Why are there 2 Ford Everest in my selection?
    Because I love the safety and drivers assistance features that comes with the LTD(LIMITED), but not so much sold on the Large 20" Rims and tires standard on the LTD.
    The safety and additional driver aids(BLIS, Active cruise control...) are a big plus for me as I will mostly use the vehicle for tar road cruising(70-80%).
    Other 20-30% is gravel road and overlanding mostly in Botswana and Namibia.
    My concerns on the 20" wheels are: 1) Cost and availability of such tires, 2) Ride quality(or lack thereof) on such large wheels, 3) Such Large tires and rims could be prone to damage when hitting a bad rocky road.
    Not sure if this should be the easy part of my decision, but I would appreciate some advice and comments on this.

The to choose between the Ford Everest XLT and the Toyota Fortuner, both 4x4 Auto.
    These 2 vehicle are almost equally specked and the Fortuner is just a bit cheaper.
    I would appreciate some comments regarding this choise, keeping the following in mind.
    - Fuel Consumption: most reports show Fortuner being more frugal
    Is there really a big difference in real life and everyday driving?
    - Ride quality: Most reports show Everest being more comfortable on uneven surfaces and for long over-landing trips
    - Engine and gearbox performance: Reports say that the Fortuner feels more alive and willing to go, but which will last longer?
    - Reliability of the 2 vehicles (Have read much about problems on the Ford Auto combination, but Toyota have not yet reported any serious problems
    - Resale/Trade-in value: It seem clear that the previous generation toyota's are the best in this area, but will this continue with the new Fortuner?
    Any other information would also be appreciated.
    2014 Ford Ranger 3.2 4x4 D/C Auto
    2015 Ford Ranger 2.2 S/C Man

Default Re: Everest or Fortuner?

My 2cw

Is the Foruner really cheaper? Are you comparing the Fortuner price with the same extras that the Everest comes standard with?
    This is really a question.
    I cant really comment on the tyre size question, but i am sure if you buy the car new you can ask them to fit the tyres you need?
    Toyota's resale value will stay the best for at least the next 5 years if nothing out of the ordinary happens to their reputation.

I cant comment on the rest as i have not driven one off these new models.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haas For This Useful Post:

Fortuner is nice but feels like a Fiesta if the Everest is a Focus - both nice but not in the same class - hope you get what I mean.
    Limited has different shock absorbers, lower suspension bushes to help improve ride quality to XLT levels.
    If you use it for tar mostly, the adaptive cruise control is incredible. You would wonder how you were able to survive up to now without it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JJE For This Useful Post:

Red face Re: Everest or Fortuner?

Thanks JJE.
    This is something I did not know. Thought suspension components were the same on the XLT and LIMITED!
    I am pretty sure that once you get used to the active cruise control and other features,
    you will never want to drive a vehicle without it again!

Why not just getting an additional set of 17 or 18 inch rims and tyres for long trips? There are many XLT / Wildtrak rims on OLX.
    LC200 V8 4.7 P
    LC200 V8 4.5 D
    LC105 4500EFI
    Bush Lapa (B867)
    Jurgens Exclusive
    GS1200R Adv

If you can afford the extra then the Limited should be on the top of your list. Whichever dealership you buy from can arrange for the tyres and rims to be swapped, either to 18" like on the XLT or 17" from the Ranger all at no or very little cost. That would be my ultimate and I'm still sad I didn't take that option when bought my XLT. If your dealership isn't up to helping you any Tiger Wheel & Tyre will do it.

When it comes to the difference between the Fortuner and the Everest that is a personal question that only you can make after driving both - both are great vehicles. I do believe the Fortuner will have better consumption though bearing in mind it is not permanent 4wd like the Everest.

If the extra cash isn't an issue then the Limited with 17" or 18" wheels is an absolute winner. Try and get the locally built one that comes with SYNC 3 and all the extra features!
    2018 Ford Everest 3.2 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Koppycat View Post
    If you can afford the extra then the Limited should be on the top of your list. Whichever dealership you buy from can arrange for the tyres and rims to be swapped, either to 18" like on the XLT or 17" from the Ranger all at no or very little cost. That would be my ultimate and I'm still sad I didn't take that option when bought my XLT. If your dealership isn't up to helping you any Tiger Wheel & Tyre will do it.

When it comes to the difference between the Fortuner and the Everest that is a personal question that only you can make after driving both - both are great vehicles. I do believe the Fortuner will have better consumption though bearing in mind it is not permanent 4wd like the Everest.

If the extra cash isn't an issue then the Limited with 17" or 18" wheels is an absolute winner. Try and get the locally built one that comes with SYNC 3 and all the extra features!

Thanks for your reply. I will contact my dealership and see if they are willing to make the Swop from 20" to Either 17 or 18".
    I agree that that settles the choice between XLT and LIMITED.

So the downsides to Everest compared to Fortuner, except for the cost, is Fuel consumption and re-sale value.
    Obviously the LIMITED has lot more positives when compared to the Fortuner.

I will try and get some honest information on the actual fuel consumption of both vehicles.

Personally I do not overthink the issue of choosing between vehicles. I buy what I like and do not calculate everything down to rand and cent. Nobody is going to give you an award for making the most scientifically thought through vehicle choice anyway. Only justification for me is the level of enjoyment and fulfilling of expectations

But if I do have to push you in a direction - stay with your current brand
    Last edited by AVM; 2016/11/02 at 09:26 PM.
    Ranger 3.2 XLT D/C 4x4 A/T 2019
    Armadillo Plus

Quote Originally Posted by AVM View Post
    Personally I do no overthink the issue of choosing between vehicles. I buy what I like and do no calculate everything down to rand and cent. Nobody is going to give you an award for making the most scientifically thought through vehicle choice anyway. Only justification for me is the level of enjoyment and fulfilling of expectations

I totally agree with you and it is not entirely an issue or Rand and cent for me, level of enjoyment is very important.
    I specifically created this thread to see what level of enjoyment I should expect from which brand and also because the Toyota 2.8 is not well known to me!

But thanks also for the very subtle hint/push!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sa_explorer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sa_explorer View Post
    I will try and get some honest information on the actual fuel consumption of both vehicles.
    My Fuelly in my signature says it all. average over 41,000km is 12.5l/100 but that includes 10,000km of towing and if I remove that it comes down to 11.8l/100. I do however admit to making use of all the power most of the time. If I drive with fuel consumption in mind I can easily average below 11l/100, best is 9.2l/100.
    2018 Ford Everest 3.2 Limited

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Koppycat For This Useful Post:

Personally I do no overthink the issue of choosing between vehicles. I buy what I like and do no calculate everything down to rand and cent. Nobody is going to give you an award for making the most scientifically thought through vehicle choice anyway. Only justification for me is the level of enjoyment and fulfilling of expectations

Excellent post!

Although this thread should have been in the general vehicle category for broader feedback.
    Ross

I totally agree with AVM. Someone somewhere in a thread once said that if you park your car, walk off and doesn't turn around to have a look and think "jis but you are a beauty" then you bought the wrong car. That's why I bought a Trailblazer, I liked the looks, the engine, the all round package, and that's why I bought it - because I like it. Other's might hate the looks but for me it's perfect and that I guess comes back to AVM's comment of justification is the level of enjoyment. Good luck with the decision.
    2014 Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8 Auto 4x4
    2015 Jurgens XT140 Ext... maar ek soek 'n Bush Lapa
    Who needs a diff lock if you have 500Nm's

17. The Following User Says Thank You to globaljaco For This Useful Post:

BBK

Ek sou fortuner of 2.2 everest vat, vertrou net nie di 3.2 nie.

Default Everest or Fortuner?

Everest. It's a high quality & capable vehicle that doesn't look like it was designed by someone that was fired from Ssangyong
    Last edited by XJ Junkie; 2016/11/02 at 08:37 PM.

Interesting post indeed.

After starting a family I have had a Ford in my stable from a safety size and feature prespective.

The new Toyota range has caught up on safety and cannot be beat on resale. As always the Fortuna is a very capable 4x4 but I am weary of its apeal to car thieves.

They both have their merits and drawbacks and are very attractive for different reasons.

MHO, drive both, bring your trailer along to get a fair test in. Lastly consider all your needs and get the one that is more "you".
    2015 Ford Ranger 3.2 Diesel DC 4x4 6spd MT
    2018 Ford Everest 3.2 Diesel AWD 4X4

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BAX4x4 For This Useful Post:

Double posted
    Last edited by wdw; 2016/11/03 at 09:16 AM.

You know, I bought my wife a CITIGOLF when she was still a student and Potch. I rebuilt every bolt of that car, and for 12 years, I had to look over my shoulder everywhere I go with it. Couldn't go anywhere with it at night, couldn't park it anywhere out of sight.... due to theft.....

SAME STORY HERE!!!!!!

NAH.... Life's too short!

Personally, I will not buy any Toyota. And I REALLY like Toyotas! Toyotas are stolen SO MUCH that I am JUST not interested AT ALL..... NO THANX.

Thats my 2c.

EDIT: I have to add here, The Everest is a MUCH BETTER LOOKING vehicle IMO, but the interior of the Fortuner is absolutely beautiful and gives a much more premium feel than that (plastic) of the Everest (and Ranger).
    Last edited by Clouder; 2016/11/03 at 03:00 PM.
    André Jordaan

2019 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

I've just done something, and I DON'T KNOW what it was!!!