First time trip to Zambia

Default First time trip to Zambia

I have been enjoying reading all your experiences of Zambia. We are planning a trip for September 2017 and have the following broad outline:

• Cape Town
    • Felix Unite Provenance Camp (Chalet)
    • Okahandja Country Hotel (Camping) (alt Chalet)
    • Divundu Guest House (Camping) (alt Chalet)

Via Sesheke bridge into Zambia

• Livingstone - The Zambezi Waterfront
    • Bridge Camp
    • Via Shoprite (Chipata)
    • Zikomo Camp (camping 2 days - borders South Luangwe)
    • Kalovia campsite (camping 2 nights - borders South Luangwe)
    • Kanunshya campsite (Southern side North Luangwe)(camping 2 days)
    • Chikolongo campsite (Northern side North Luangwe)(camping 2 days)
    • Kasanka Trust Pontoon Campsite (2 nights)
    • Fringilla Farm Campsite
    • Kasabushi Camp (Kafue)(Camping 2 days)
    • KaingU Camping (Kafue)(2 nights)
    • Campsite - Bruce-Miller Lodge

Into Namibia via Sesheke bridge

• Island View Lodge
    • Ngepi
    • Guma Lagoon Camp (Camping 2 nights)
    • Goba-Goba Lodge
    • Guest House (White House Guest Farm)
    • Cape Town

I would love advise from those of you that know the country well - is it a doable route, are we trying to cover too much, or are we missing something we should be going to (bearing in mind we will more than likely do a second trip...). I have tried to look at the maps and forums on distances as we would prefer not to drive all day, although we will do this to get up and back as it's a long way from CT.

We have about 4 weeks in total. It will be three or four vehicles travelling together - all capable 4x4's.

Many thanks in advance

Don

Default Re: First time trip to Zambia

Hi Don,

I could only comment on Zambian part of your trip. First of all, I'm sure you will have an epic trip. Also, I think your distances between point A to point B are all doable (albeit some of them are quite long, requiring most of the day on the road).

I see in Luangwa river area you are concentrating on campsites offered by http://www.campzambia.com/luangwa-campsites. That's all fine, however if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't skip Mfuwe sector of South Luangwa NP. Wildlife Camp has fantastic settings on Lunagwa river plus nice pool with cold drinks inside camp, while you can arrange dinner at lodge, few hundred meters away. Croc Valley Camp in same area is situated even closer to Mfuwe gate of the SLNP. Zikomo and Kalovia camps are not that far from each other, so I would rather give Kalovia a miss, spending two nights in Wildlife camp to explore Mfuwe sector and two nights in Zikomo to explore Nsefu Sector. From Zikomo, I would then proceed directly to Kanunshya camp (or comunity based Chifunda camp in the same area).

From Fringilla farm to Kafue National park, you can either go via Lusaka and then M9, but you also have another option, which saves you from Lusaka traffic altogether: From Fringilla farm you backtrack on Great north road for about 10 km NW to a place named "Landless corner". There you turn left on nice new tarred road which leads to Mumbwa. That new tar lasts only for about 30 km, from there on you have about 30 km of very bad gravel/dirt road, which then becomes good tar again for last 50 km to Mumbwa. There is no traffic on this road, but as said, some 30 km of very bad gravel road is very slow going. So, all in all, time vise this route will not save you a lot, but it will save you some stress of Lusaka traffic. If you need to do some shopping, you can buy everything in large shopping center in Kabwe between Kasanka and Frangilla, so no need to travel to Lusaka for this reason.

In Kafue NP, you have chosen to spend 4 nights in two camps (Kasabushi and KaingU) that are ony few kilometers apart from each other, on the same section of the river (albeit on different banks). I would rather choose only one of those two for two nights, and rather spend first two nights on more northern section of Kafue river. Either near Hook bridge (Mayukuyuku or Roy's camp) or at Mc Brides.

HTH.
    Last edited by ortelius; 2016/11/01 at 11:40 PM.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

Hi Don,

I endorse the advice of Ortelius.

I think Maramba River Lodge is nicer for camping than the Waterfront.

Livingstone to Bridge Camp is an extremely long day. I would rather stay at Pioneer Campsite. It is on the Great East Road to Luangwa just through Lusaka. With this Great East Road now complete you can make it to Luangwa in a day after an early start from Pioneer. The big advantage of Pioneer is that you will already have passed through the busy Lusaka traffic.

At Fringilla they sell lovely meat from their farm and have their own butchery.

At Kasanka Sept will be too early for the bat migration but you will see sitatunga.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Hi Don, Livingstone to Bridge Camp is definitely a bridge too far - as Stan says, stay at Pioneer. From there to Mfuwe is fine in a day.
    You're packing a lot into a four week trip, but it is definitely doable - perhaps build in some flexibility and don't pre-book your campsites until you are sure you will make it to them all.
    Good tip to take the Landless Corner - Mumbwa road, as Lusaka traffic can be horrendous.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Hi Ortelius, Stan and Tony

That sounds like some great advise I will relook the trip and tweak it.

Pioneer sounds like a good option, I did look at it at first, but thought it was too far to Luangwa so will re-evaluate - nice to know the road is good.

I'll also look at the other options in Luangwa and Kafue. In Kafue I did try to find details on Roy's camp but couldn't find anything on the internet - does anyone know how to get details?

From Fringilla we were going to do the Landless Corner option, but thanks for confirming it. I saw on T4A that Fringilla had good meat so it is great to know that it so.

Once again many thanks

Don

Don, if you want to pop around and look at your route with maps, and a drink, give me a call. I am in Little Mowbray, tonyweaver(at)iafrica.com and 0 eight 457 660 eight 6.
    Tony Weaver

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Another thought would be to head north from Sesheke (O/N Kabula)towards northern Kafue, via Landless Corner up to Kasanka, North Luangwa, South Luangwa, Lusaka, Livingstone, Kazangula, Chobe, and rejoin your itinerary at Ngepi. I just have this thing about trying not to retrace my steps!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Itchy Feet For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Don, if you want to pop around and look at your route with maps, and a drink, give me a call. I am in Little Mowbray, tonyweaver(at)iafrica.com and 0 eight 457 660 eight 6.
    Thanks Tony I may take you up on it. We just have house guests at present so maybe in a week or two if that is OK

Quote Originally Posted by jayb View Post
    Thanks Tony I may take you up on it. We just have house guests at present so maybe in a week or two if that is OK
    Sure, any time.
    Tony Weaver