Defender How to get a nipple in here? ... a grease nipple.





Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    JHB
    Age
    26
    Posts
    437
    Thanked: 20

    Default How to get a nipple in here? ... a grease nipple.

    Howzit guys,

    I've some threads on the net about the clutch pivot bearing ad solving the noise/squeak...

    My Td5 doesn't have a thread in the clutch pedal box/housing to screw the grease fitting into.

    Any ideas? Can it be done on my Landy?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	422662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	422663  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Oppi plaas
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,543
    Thanked: 786

    Default Re: How to get a nipple in here? ... a grease nipple.

    Miks, this is what I did, and it's still quiet after 18 months.

    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...edy?highlight=

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    JHB
    Age
    26
    Posts
    437
    Thanked: 20

    Default Re: How to get a nipple in here? ... a grease nipple.

    Thanks Bosvark, I'll look into it.

    Would still love some help with the grease nipple - anyone?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    JHB
    Age
    26
    Posts
    437
    Thanked: 20

    Default Re: How to get a nipple in here? ... a grease nipple.

    Bump...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    JHB
    Age
    26
    Posts
    437
    Thanked: 20

    Default Re: How to get a nipple in here? ... a grease nipple.

    Bump..

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    JHB
    Age
    26
    Posts
    437
    Thanked: 20

    Default Re: How to get a nipple in here? ... a grease nipple.

    Apologies for digging up an old thread.

    Where does the grease nipple fit into? I have been driving the car a lot again lately and the squeak is driving me mad.
    There does not seem to be a tapped hole in my Td5's clutch box, where the later Defenders seem to have it.

    Hopefully this doesn't mean I need to remove and dissemble the box, to get to the parts that need lubrication
    Last edited by miks.; 2018/11/22 at 03:26 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fourways Gardens
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,447
    Thanked: 586

    Default Re: How to get a nipple in here? ... a grease nipple.

    Quote Originally Posted by miks. View Post
    Apologies for digging up an old thread.

    Where does the grease nipple fit into? I have been driving the car a lot again lately and the squeak is driving me mad.
    There does not seem to be a tapped hole in my Td5's clutch box, where the later Defenders seem to have it.

    Hopefully this doesn't mean I need to remove and dissemble the box, to get to the parts that need lubrication
    Miks forget the nipple. Its not that effective. Just open the peddle box from the top (6 screws iirc), and spray liquid grease all over tgw shaft, spring and linkages. Close up and you done. Mine hasnt squeaked in over a year.

    Defender Puma Raw Limited Edition
    Series III 88"
    Scout Nomad


    Chop your own firewood and it will warm you twice

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ClaudeG For This Useful Post:


  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fourways Gardens
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,447
    Thanked: 586

    Default Re: How to get a nipple in here? ... a grease nipple.

    Any of these 2Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181122_194116.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	510637

    Defender Puma Raw Limited Edition
    Series III 88"
    Scout Nomad


    Chop your own firewood and it will warm you twice

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ClaudeG For This Useful Post:


  11. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    JHB
    Age
    26
    Posts
    437
    Thanked: 20

    Default Re: How to get a nipple in here? ... a grease nipple.

    Quote Originally Posted by ClaudeG View Post
    Any of these 2Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181122_194116.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	510637
    Got it - thanks Claude

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    37
    Posts
    320
    Thanked: 69

    Default Re: How to get a nipple in here? ... a grease nipple.

    How can grease in a bush not be effective?
    Spraying lube on the outside of a bush would be rather.

    Has anyobe drilled a hole into the shaft of the non nipple mod on a td5? Tapped with a grease nipple?
    I should think that the inner workings of the bush would work the same? Shall I drill a hole and tap it for a nipple?
    My only worry is that there might not be internal ports for the grease on the bush?
    ONE LIFE!

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fourways Gardens
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,447
    Thanked: 586

    Default Re: How to get a nipple in here? ... a grease nipple.

    Just spray it with grease...easy peasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildkyker View Post
    How can grease in a bush not be effective?
    Spraying lube on the outside of a bush would be rather.

    Has anyobe drilled a hole into the shaft of the non nipple mod on a td5? Tapped with a grease nipple?
    I should think that the inner workings of the bush would work the same? Shall I drill a hole and tap it for a nipple?
    My only worry is that there might not be internal ports for the grease on the bush?

    Defender Puma Raw Limited Edition
    Series III 88"
    Scout Nomad


    Chop your own firewood and it will warm you twice

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    37
    Posts
    320
    Thanked: 69

    Default Re: How to get a nipple in here? ... a grease nipple.

    Can anyone confirm that all clutch pedal shafts has the grease ports in the as to go ahead abd fix a nipple to it to insert grease into?
    ONE LIFE!

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    37
    Posts
    5,125
    Thanked: 1005

    Default Re: How to get a nipple in here? ... a grease nipple.

    I did the whole nipple thing on my one Puma. Worked for a few weeks and then the squeak returned.

    There after I just do what Claude suggested every now and again and it seems to work better to prevent squeaks.

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    37
    Posts
    5,125
    Thanked: 1005

    Default Re: How to get a nipple in here? ... a grease nipple.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildkyker View Post
    Can anyone confirm that all clutch pedal shafts has the grease ports in the as to go ahead abd fix a nipple to it to insert grease into?

    So much of funny in this post

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    37
    Posts
    320
    Thanked: 69

    Default Re: How to get a nipple in here? ... a grease nipple.

    O my genade, defenetief nie die vraag wat ek wou vra nie.
    Wil net weet of die as die geboorde gate in het om die grease te versprei?
    ONE LIFE!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •