Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: LC 200 VX vs D4 SDV6 HSE

My D4 on open road at 120km/h gave me 10.2 l/100km. Yesterday drove 280km's at 120km/h and then some slower driving just off highway. Computer showed 11.1 l/100km.
    Bruce Hunter

In my case, two Grand Cherokee diesel V6's, a D4 SDV6 and a Prado D4D were all 20% less fuel then the LC200, all towing the same hybrid campers over the same roads.
    How is your LC200 on fuel compared to your D4D?

Cheers
    Numb Thumbs
    Australian member
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
    VistaRV Crossover XL campertrailer

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Oh yes, and if they still built the SFA Lux with a modern engine.........
    79 Series V8 ... ?

Quote Originally Posted by QuoteUnquote View Post
    79 Series V8 ... ?
    Sort of, but yes, I've been looking across the Appliance fence............
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Numb Thumbs View Post
    In my case, two Grand Cherokee diesel V6's, a D4 SDV6 and a Prado D4D were all 20% less fuel then the LC200, all towing the same hybrid campers over the same roads.
    How is your LC200 on fuel compared to your D4D?

Cheers
    Numb Thumbs
    I will be towing my Bush Lapa next week Thursday so will know more then. If memory serves me correctly, I got 13.4 l/100 Km's last time on D4. Amarok gave me 11.8. The 200 has only done 420 Km's so need to add another 400 before next week according to the manual before towing . I am sure consumption will change after 5000 Km's as well.
    Bruce Hunter

Congrats Bruce

Must say the Grey is a LOT BETTER than std white

You will enjoy the LC

You will miss the LR

I still see a D5 in your future ...

Cheers

Nico
    Nico van Diemen

'91 BYB - Big Yellow Bus - Ex-CT Tdi Disco

'05 BOV - Big Orange Van - TDV6 D3 G4 It met a COW and is Gone, gone , gone ... replaced
    '11 - D4 V8 - BLACK (for now )
    '10 JK Sahara 2 Door - Open top for me and my boys - 3.8 V6 lifted muds bumpers sorted - Yip also orange
    '16 KIA SEDONA - 11 SEATS
    SWAMBO: Black RCZ

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NvD42 For This Useful Post:

Interesting comparisons. I just got rid of my Disco4 SE , never drove a LC200, but have a few comments on my Disco experience. It was a 2011 so sold it after 5 years and 103k km no issues really should be grateful. I loved the sound of that engin, not something one often say about a diesel
    - mine had a light for the vanity mirror
    - the gps screen was very nice in size and crisp in display, has Garmin caught up with this yet? I like the setting for a split screen with different zoom settings, but it was very slow, and the functionality to find anything was worse than useless. Half of major roads did not exist
    - I always felt the body roll was excessive
    - fuel consumption always bothered me, over that distance the average per the computer as noted in my log book was a reasonable 10.8 l/100km, however the real calculated number over that distance was 12.5 l/100km, 20 % worse. That is significant in my book.
    - the 4x4 system is magnificent, often felt "this is not meant to be this easy", however I have little doubt that on extensive and prolonged use it will fail
    - yes the epb is nice, but known to give problems and cost a fortune to fix
    - yes comfortable to drive, but not really better than the Pathfinder I had before
    - the weight and brick like aerodynamics nullify the wonderful engin when you are at speed.
    - it's strongest point is it's prestige, image, which was an issue for me, but that is a personal subjective feeling
    - processing speed of radio, computer media system gps incredibly slow, very frustrating
    - managed to get R350k for it just over the 50% of the R670k I paid for it. Not great but better than what I feared

i feel relief not owning it anymore outside the plan

regards

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikehe For This Useful Post:

Some further updates:

I find the gearbox on the LC to be too quick to change from 6th to 5th gear on the highway when cruising at 120 and you hit a small incline.The change in rpm is from 1800 to 2100 so not bad but would prefer it to keep in 6th. The D4 in 8th gear never kicked down at all. I would expect with the torque that this wouldn't happen.

Did some more twisty roads on Sunday, the LC has a lot less body roll and tyres squeal easily. The brakes are very good and bite quickly.

Still getting use to indicator stalk on the right.

Other cars move out of your way quickly, not sure if this is because of the size of the vehicle or just the perception that Toyota 4x4 driver's are aggressive! Not used to this.

The satnav map although showing 2015 update are actually out of date and do not have the correct Rivonia off ramps. D4 had this.

Will update as soon as I have don more mileage and towing BL next week. Interested to see consumption and how the gearbox adapts.
    Bruce Hunter

Bruce is that kick down from 6th to 5th with cruise control on?
    Francois

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    I find the gearbox on the LC to be too quick to change from 6th to 5th gear on the highway when cruising at 120 and you hit a small incline
    This is going to irritate you. My father's 07 does the same.

In my experience, Toyota has struggled with the software for the cruise-control. All their 4.0l V6 AT vehicles have the same issue - they seem to take too long to gear down and then suddenly go down 2 gears to get back up to the selected speed. This happens when the engine should probably have enough torque to handle the incline without gearing down. It used to irritate the crap out of me.

Most of the Germans seem to handle these conditions a lot better.

This seems to be the opposite of what you're experiencing so maybe they overcompensated with the V8?

Kicking back from 6th to 5th is good for your engine EGT temp as a few hundred rpm drastically reduce EGT temp. When we were driving Colt 2.8's in the old days, with EGT probes, it was interesting that going uphill in 5th gear will push EGT to 700 degrees vs 4th below 450 degrees, same hill, same speed. I actually support the LC200 shift down.
    LC200 V8 4.7 P
    LC200 V8 4.5 D
    LC105 4500EFI
    Bush Lapa (B867)
    Jurgens Exclusive
    GS1200R Adv

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hendrik du Toit For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois111 View Post
    Bruce is that kick down from 6th to 5th with cruise control on?
    not cruise control, just normal driving.

i agree about the egt's. it is just going to take some getting used to.
    Bruce Hunter

Bruce I drive a Prado 150 and I place the shift leaver in S5 from the start, in your case S6. I find the upshifting quicker and it holds on to a higher gear longer. Try and report back.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerrit fourie For This Useful Post:

After almost 3 months of ownership and 5000km's including towing,dirt road and lots of beach launching, I have a better feel for the LC200 vs D4 now.

Some feedback:

1. LC 200 is about much better in sand than D4. Most times launching my boat when sand was slightly more compact and cooler I only needed HR, 2nd start and ECT power with tyres at 1.5 bar, trailer tyres at 1 bar. When sand temps were higher and sand was messed up due to Ranger stuck, D4 stuck and isuzu stuck, I need low range sand crawl mode. The biggest difference I could see was that the LC wheels turn slower and prevent spinning and churning up the sand on initial power. In LR crawl mode this is even more evident and just pulls the vehicle with trailer through the thick sand. Last week Friday a D4 also got stuck on a small ridge on the beach, tyres at 1bar,rock crawl and dsc off, sand is thick and very loose. He was parked 1 meter from the ridge and dug in immediately as he hit the sand. This also used to happen to me until I did a longer run up and over. I parked the Cruiser next to his start point after tractor pulled him out and used LR sand crawl, 2nd start and ect power on,1.5 bar and easily crested the ridge and through the thick sand. This was with both vehicles towing similar sized boats of around 700kg.

2. Very composed on dirt roads same as D4.

3. Towing is effortless in both and very little to compare. I was surprised to feel the LC suspension 'adapt' to towball weight. I did not know the KDSS did this.

4. Reversing my boat up a steep driveway the LC gearbox gave an overheat warning whereas the D4 never had this issue.

5. The LC satnav must be the worst on the market and really battles to navigate the correct routes. I am waiting for the promised update from Toyota since November release date. Some roads are outdated by 5 years.

6. D4 fuel consumption better by about 1.5l/100km.

7. The LC adaptive cruise control works really well but the speed control is irritating when going downhill as it sometimes kicks back up to 2 gears, I now remember to apply a bit of accelerator and this works to prevent gearing down.

overall very happy with the change and peace of mind. However I am still waiting for a replacement engine compartment seal that was torn since end of Oct plus the promised offroad course...they could learn a thing or two from LR after sales service that I always found to be excellent.
    Bruce Hunter

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the update Bruce.

Where were you launching the boat? Plett?

Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    Thanks for the update Bruce.

Where were you launching the boat? Plett?
    And are you enjoying your Fusion?

Quote Originally Posted by QuoteUnquote View Post
    And are you enjoying your Fusion?
    Yes, launching at Plett. The Fusion is a great boat and I am enjoying it. Thought I would miss my Gemini a lot more. Went through the Heads a few times as well. Handles the wind swells and sea swells really well.
    Bruce Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post

1. LC 200 is about much better in sand than D4. Most times launching my boat when sand was slightly more compact and cooler I only needed HR, 2nd start and ECT power with tyres at 1.5 bar, trailer tyres at 1 bar. When sand temps were higher and sand was messed up due to Ranger stuck, D4 stuck and isuzu stuck, I need low range sand crawl mode. The biggest difference I could see was that the LC wheels turn slower and prevent spinning and churning up the sand on initial power. In LR crawl mode this is even more evident and just pulls the vehicle with trailer through the thick sand. Last week Friday a D4 also got stuck on a small ridge on the beach, tyres at 1bar,rock crawl and dsc off, sand is thick and very loose. He was parked 1 meter from the ridge and dug in immediately as he hit the sand. This also used to happen to me until I did a longer run up and over. I parked the Cruiser next to his start point after tractor pulled him out and used LR sand crawl, 2nd start and ect power on,1.5 bar and easily crested the ridge and through the thick sand. This was with both vehicles towing similar sized boats of around 700kg.
    I've mentioned this before... the disco (3 in my case) was not the best in sand from my experience, having driven other vehicles in sand before easily where the Disco 3 needed alot more effort (my own experience), it was not undoable, but I needed to plan ahead more in that vehicle. Your findings seem to confirm my suspicion. Thanks for update.
    Jeep GC WK2 - 3.6L - 8-speed

Bruce.........congrats!!

Nothing like a 200 VX. It's like an S 500 that can do Van Zyls and launch a boat.

The fact that there is a looooong queue of Buyers, I think, basically sums up everything quite well. Hundreds of Organisations across the Globe using 200's also cant be ALL wrong.

Amazing car.......enjoy, you lucky bugger!!!!!!!!!!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast