Another Xomae/Third Bridge cockup - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Another Xomae/Third Bridge cockup

Quote Originally Posted by Henk67 View Post
    For us ( one couple ) to stay there looks like this
    4 nights third bridge + fees. = P 4680,00 with every chance of having to share.
    Should we want to secure the site for us alone we will have to pay for 4 extra people
    So then it works out to P 12680,00 as we won't have to pay the entry fees for the 4 imaginary people.
    WTF that is absolutely ridiculous to say the least. Works out to € 260,00 per night for one couple not wishing to share for a campsite with basic amenities.
    Regards Henk
    Sadly there is almost zero regulation and it is open season as far as most of the campsite operators are concerned, and tourists, especially overseas ones, are the target.

Bigfoot - 70% (yes, SEVENTY PERCENT) increase in rates next year

2014 Prado TX D4-D

Quote Originally Posted by andyrag View Post

Well now I will have to save that much longer for the next CKGR trip, but maybe, just maybe, such high fees will keep the "not true nature lovers" out.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2016/10/26 at 11:06 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Well now I will have to save that much longer for the next CKGR trip, but maybe, just maybe, such high fees will keep the "not true nature lovers" out.
    More than likely you will just be sharing with more of the brandy an coke brigade with their shiny chrome and plastic bakkies and more money than sense.
    Didn't know you had to be rich to be a true nature lover

More than likely you will just be sharing with more of the brandy an coke brigade with their shiny chrome and plastic bakkies and more money than sense.
    Nope, but I think Lekhubu was alluding to the fact that hopefully only true nature lovers would be prepared to pay the increase. If the idea is simply to have a bush "party", maybe the high prices will put them off...here's hoping...

Whichever way you look at it however, a 70% increase is ludicrous!

When we returned from our july/aug Botswana trip, I found the old papers from a similar trip my wife and I did 16 years ago. The entrance fees for Moremi and Chobe were exactly the same. They haven't increased a single pula in such a long time. They are still quite low, even for foreign visitors.

The camping fees however are different. They have increased up to 20x or 30x the old prices. Thanks to privatising. That would be explainable if the commercial companies had to make huge efforts to construct infrastructure. But in many cases the infrastructure is still the same as it was 16 years ago when it was government run.

I wish we would be paying more for the entrance (that money goes to conservation of the parks/reserves) and less for the camping (that money goes into pockets of purely commercial investors).

All together we (me, wife, 2 teenage children) paid about 4000 USD for flights, another 4000 USD for car rental (Defender with 2 rooftop tents) and about 4000-5000 USD for entrance, camping, hotels, food, fuel, mokoro excursion etc etc. All that for a 4 week trip. It is a LOT of money and we had to save up for it quite a while, but it was worth it. I do hope we gave the children a memory that will last the rest of their lives.
    Regards,
    Hans

http://www.wildpicture.com/

Overland trips with rented 4x4's in South Africa, Botswana, Nambia, Zimbabwe, Zambia
    (Toyota Hilux DC, Landrover Defender 110)
    1999-2005 Suzuki Jimny JLX 4x4
    2016- Suzuki Jimny JLX 4x4

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wildpicture For This Useful Post:

Well said Wildpicture, I agree 100%!

Ouch!

Not what I meant at all, refer to RraBot's post as to what I inferred.

Btw, I just looked at the cost from Bigfoot for our CKGR trip in 2015, P2820 for 6 nights in Bigfoot operated camps. My son was then still half price. If I include him now at full tariff plus the 70 % increase we are over P5000 converted to rand is well over R6000. Not cheap. But I guess compared to other parks in Africa, where one pays in USD, still fairly cheap.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Thinking over it, I think Lekhubu might be onto something... If I think back to my trips in 2006 and 2007 - I would spend a week in the CKGR and the only people seen were the rangers at the gate on entry and then again on exit... I'd happily pay 70%, hell I'd happily pay 170% increase to get those days of remoteness back!

RraBots, I think I actually agree with you. The remoteness and stark beauty is what pulls me to the CKGR, the more I have it the better even if I have to save a little longer.

But Henk is also not wrong in his way of thinking. Money can buy a lot of booze and kit and shiny vehicles, but it can never buy the love of nature and the appreciation of a place like the CKGR.

I have a trip in dec this year to ckgr and have decided that dwnp sites are just as good

besides piper 1 off course

So the private oaks wont be getting any business from me for that trip

It is a pity though as if they offered at least a clean site and a clean long drop and a clean shower cubicle thingy I could justify the extra money

Maar nee
    Like transnet
    they
    vat net - geld

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Report it with evidence to Dept of Wildlife and National Parks copy to Hon Minister of Enviromnent, Wildlifeand Tourism (Tshekidi Khama) with respect to the license agreement of Xomae.They seem to get away with a lot more than anticipated, they were also the ones introducing the camps site sharing.But all in all there is a limit of what is acceptable.I try to stay away from site 1,2 and 3 as they don't have defined limits but one big open space shared at random. They even sub-divided them into A's and B's
    Even if you can report them million times, they will NEVER loose that license..If you want to know how many complaints have been filed against these operators,ask any wildlife officer next time you find at any park...Even the tender renewals for the first 5 years they were given since 2008, how it was renewed without opening the tenders to everybody is still a mistery...soo forget about these three(Xomae,Kwalape,Big Foot) loosing license NO matter how worse their services can get.

VW AMAROK BITURBO TDI 4MOTION

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

I must say that to me this privatization of the Botswana campsites has been a failure. Their increased prices have added no value and the deliberate double bookings are unacceptable. All these separate companies make booking a multi-destination trip a nightmare.

One does need to keep a perspective on these new prices. I think I am correct in saying that in Zimbabwe the park entrance fees, vehicle entrance fee and camping fees add up to about R800 pppn (they change all the time).

To camp inside Kafue in Zambia will cost you something like R 500 pppd all inclusive.

To stay in a special (private) campsite in Serengeti costs something like R 2,000 pppd all told. Ruaha, also in Tanzania was about R 1,200 pppd.

With the reported increase, CKGR is about R 1,000 pppd it seems, in the Bigfoot camps. This is relatively expensive. I agree that the DWNP campsites are very attractive considering the price difference. But you are going to have to book a year in advance if you want specific campsites.

However if it means fewer visitors and selects out true nature lovers instead of more casual visitors then there will be some value. Although the East African prices were considerably higher we were very often the only self-drive visitors in many of the parks. The campsites were only shared on a couple of occasions with one or two other campers. Even in Serengeti it was easy to get away from the lodge vehicle crowds as they do not need to venture far from the lodges. It is not at all necessary to book camping in advance in any East African reserve.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    I must say that to me this privatization of the Botswana campsites has been a failure. Their increased prices have added no value and the deliberate double bookings are unacceptable. All these separate companies make booking a multi-destination trip a nightmare.

One does need to keep a perspective on these new prices. I think I am correct in saying that in Zimbabwe the park entrance fees, vehicle entrance fee and camping fees add up to about R800 pppn (they change all the time).

To camp inside Kafue in Zambia will cost you something like R 500 pppd all inclusive.

To stay in a special (private) campsite in Serengeti costs something like R 2,000 pppd all told. Ruaha, also in Tanzania was about R 1,200

With the reported increase, CKGR is about R 1,000 pppd it seems, in the Bigfoot camps. This is relatively expensive. I agree that the DWNP campsites are very attractive considering the price difference. But you are going to have to book a year in advance if you want specific campsites.

However if it means fewer visitors and selects out true nature lovers instead of more casual visitors then there will be some value. Although the East African prices were considerably higher we were very often the only self-drive visitors in many of the parks. The campsites were only shared on a couple of occasions with one or two other campers. Even in Serengeti it was easy to get away from the lodge vehicle crowds as they do not need to venture far from the lodges. It is not at all necessary to book camping in advance in any East African reserve.
    Good grief....at those prices no wonder SANParks are so popular all around the world. We don't realize how spoilt we are with our National Parks.

Quote Originally Posted by andyrag View Post
    Sadly there is almost zero regulation and it is open season as far as most of the campsite operators are concerned, and tourists, especially overseas ones, are the target.

BTO is rolling out their grading for campsites in 2017. At the stakeholders meeting in Kasane it was brought up that these privatised campsites in the National Parks need to be inspected and held to the standards. Perhaps Andyrag once these are implemented this may improve facilities and provide recourse for complaints?

Reading this thread has made me worried. We have campsite 1 booked in early September, 6 adults, 3 vehicles and 3 trailers.

Do you think they will try and double book our site so that we have to share with another crowd??

You should be fine, especially with such a big group.

Quote Originally Posted by Haas View Post
    You should be fine, especially with such a big group.
    thanks Haas, I hope so

We are still waiting for BTO to grade camp sites as promised in 2016. What a laugh, well at least on us! 🤬

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2