Ford & Mazda 2016 Ford Ranger 2.2 Super cab 4x4 vs Isuzu KB300 Extended Cab 4x4

Default 2016 Ford Ranger 2.2 Super cab 4x4 vs Isuzu KB300 Extended Cab 4x4

Good morning everyone

I am new to the forum and are currently in the market for my first bakkie. I have narrowed it down to Ford and Isuzu but I am finding it hard to choose between the two.

I'm looking at the 2016 Ford Ranger 2.2 Super cab 4x4 and the Isuzu KB300 Extended Cab 4x4. The reason I'm comparing the 2.2l Ford with the 3l Isuzu is because the updated ford engine almost produces the same power as the isuzu and because the face-lifted ranger is still new on the market compared to the isuzu the second hand prices are similar as well.

Does anyone have some comments on the comparison or some suggestions?

Default Re: 2016 Ford Ranger 2.2 Super cab 4x4 vs Isuzu KB300 Extended Cab 4x4

You can get that Ford in Auto if I'm not mistaken? That would be Trumps for me, but each to its own...
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Weekender & Heavy loads)
    2011 BMW X1 Auto (My Mommy-Wagon)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

Yes the new 2.2 is available with automatic transmission but it is a bit above my budget. Don't want to spend more than 400k so I would rather take the 4x4 manual over 2x4 auto.

I was in the same boat as you are before i bought my 2.2 Ranger 4x4 XL double cab. I was also down to Isuzu and Ranger for the finalists. i watched a lot of youtube reviews and was set on the isuzu.

I was never a Ford guy but had to go and test drive the ranger to cover all my basis before deciding on what to spend all the money. When we came back to the dealership after the test drive, I really had to convince myself why NOT to take the Ford.

• The Fuel consumption on the face-lift 2.2 is not bad at all. i often get around 12.4 km/l on the computer (when i drive like an old lady 115 - 120 Km/h)
    • you'll probably get a newer ranger than Isuzu for the same price!!
    • I really like the electric power steering in the 2016 Rangers.
    • The Face lift ranger is definitively the best looking bakkie!!!!
    • The Rangers still have the most leg room at the back seats than any other bakkie. though this point is only relevant if your looking for a double cab.

the Isuzu might have a softer/ more comfortable ride quality on dirt roads. But the ford is still better looking!!

I'd say test drive both if you can or haven't yet and then decide in which one you feel the most comfortable.

Good luck on the decision!! its a fun time buying your first Bakkie. id say it almost beats planning for your wedding.... hehe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Yeti For This Useful Post:

Cool Re: 2016 Ford Ranger 2.2 Super cab 4x4 vs Isuzu KB300 Extended Cab 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Douwddp View Post
    Good morning everyone

I am new to the forum and are currently in the market for my first bakkie. I have narrowed it down to Ford and Isuzu but I am finding it hard to choose between the two.

I'm looking at the 2016 Ford Ranger 2.2 Super cab 4x4 and the Isuzu KB300 Extended Cab 4x4. The reason I'm comparing the 2.2l Ford with the 3l Isuzu is because the updated ford engine almost produces the same power as the isuzu and because the face-lifted ranger is still new on the market compared to the isuzu the second hand prices are similar as well.

Hi Douw..
    if you pop me a pm, i can send you details on a New Ford Ranger 2.2 XL Super Cab 4x4 6MT... wait ... for under R400k
    R352k Brand New.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    [*]The Rangers still have the most leg room at the back seats than any other bakkie. though this point is only relevant if your looking for a double cab.
    You cannot believe how important this is, coming from two older Hiluxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Douwddp View Post
    Good morning everyone

I had both of them, just not the KB6, but the KB5 3L DTeq and the 2.2 Ranger, both in single cab and 4wd. Its hard to comment on power, as they are pretty closely matched, on paper the Isuzu got got KW, but a bit less torque. The Ford had a bit more ground clearance and were a bit bigger, but keep in mind it was the KB5. The Isuzu had the most comfortable tide of the two, but then again thats what Isuzu do. In my point of view, the Ranger is the better looking of the two, included the KB6. My fuel consumption where very closely matched, so not alot to choose there. Then my next comment might anger some, but if I buy 2nd hand, I will go Isuzu. Isuzu diesels might not bet as smooth and refined as the new Ford diesels, but the are more reliable and will last longer. In my view they are probably the most reliable machine, inclusive of Toyota and VW. I am not married to a brand, but Ford and Isuzu are my two favourite bakkies and it will always be one of them. Just my 5c after owning both...and no, non of them ever broke down.
    2012 Suzuki Jimny (40mm ZOR suspension lift, 215/75R15 General Grabber AT3)
    Can go anywhere

2015 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Tdci Trend
    (Race Chip, free flowed, 280 nm)
    Can go pretty fast

Specialized Epic Expert (Carbon frame hard tail)
    It's lighter than your road bike