Discovery 3 Discovery 3 with Lexus V8 - Page 4

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Discovery 3 with Lexus V8

of course there is another angle to this

if you have a rare beast of a running tdv6 - sell that running motor

fit another motor ie lexus v8 etc and avoid the carnage and grenade about to go off
    best of both worlds ?

as a side note it actually isnt that difficult to integrate the new engine - be it a lexus v8 or a bmw v8 or whatever into the land rover body and leave all systems intact as the body oem intended

Quote Originally Posted by 3bar View Post
    of course there is another angle to this

if you have a rare beast of a running tdv6 - sell that running motor

fit another motor ie lexus v8 etc and avoid the carnage and grenade about to go off
    best of both worlds ?

as a side note it actually isnt that difficult to integrate the new engine - be it a lexus v8 or a bmw v8 or whatever into the land rover body and leave all systems intact as the body oem intended

why would anyone buy a used TDV6 motor? It's like buying a grenade without a pin.

I do agree with you that it's more than possible to integrate another motor to the electronics - with some (costly) effort.

but again.

If you sell the motor on it's own you have a D3 TDV6 without a motor. it will cost **some** money to rectify this situation.

you can buy a used D3 V8 with all working bits on it for R115k to R150k from a dealer with a warranty.

why are you even considering messing with trying to integrate this lot.

and if you have a good running TDV6 D3, why not just sell it and buy a V8 D3 for the same money? straight swap? why bugger around? you aren't improving on a D3 V8 unless you fit a very expensive motor, and then, again, to what point? just buy a Range Rover sport of similar vintage!
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2016/10/14 at 04:25 PM.

Guys....its a personal choice thingy.

Danie wanted a Lexus so he got a Lexus.
    He didn't need 4x4 so he tossed it.
    Its all his choice so you can knock it as much as you like but its not gonna change anything.

Of my 18 Series, 5 Forward Controls, 5 Rangys and 4 Defenders.......5 were stock standard.
    As far as I'm concerned, my modifications and engine swaps were an improvement, but thats just me....(and the dudes that bought them)

Apart from Alex who blows up everything he gets his hands on, and Jelo who has a strange "thing" for Nissan diesels, who else has actually driven or owned a Lexus conversion.

I've had (owned/built) 4 Lexus hybrids.

PS...the "factory" comment refers to the standard of workmanship.

I don't think that more than 15% of the members on this forum have personally undertaken a engine/gear box modification and understand the complexities involved.

Personal choice, nuff said

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaryFrank For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GaryFrank View Post

Its all his choice so you can knock it as much as you like but its not gonna change anything.

Of my 18 Series, 5 Forward Controls, 5 Rangys and 4 Defenders.......5 were stock standard.
    As far as I'm concerned, my modifications and engine swaps were an improvement, but thats just me....(and the dudes that bought them)

Apart from Alex who blows up everything he gets his hands on, and Jelo who has a strange "thing" for Nissan diesels, who else has actually driven or owned a Lexus conversion.

I don't think that more than 15% of the members on this forum have personally undertaken a engine/gear box modification and understand the complexities involved.

Now where the heck is the like button
    Sakkie van Staden
    Silver de Lange.2003 WJ Jeep..NOW powered by a 4L VVTI V8 Defy motor Forum Rebuild thread

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD Diesel power....4 inch Home build Long arm lift
    Past
    Jeep 3.1 Wj..AKA Turbo Esel (RIP)
    Man made it....Man Fix it.....
    I'm going to use all my tools, my God-given ability, and make the best life I can with it.
    LeBron James

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sakkie7 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkie7 View Post
    Now where the heck is the like button
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...0b8f32e8c471a7

And what a lovely engineering challenge! Some people simply don't understand that. And here we are in little old (and burning) SA and fixing LR's problems - as an engineer I just love it!!
    2005 Disco 3 TDV6

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    why would anyone buy a used TDV6 motor? It's like buying a grenade without a pin.

I do agree with you that it's more than possible to integrate another motor to the electronics - with some (costly) effort.

but again.

If you sell the motor on it's own you have a D3 TDV6 without a motor. it will cost **some** money to rectify this situation.

you can buy a used D3 V8 with all working bits on it for R115k to R150k from a dealer with a warranty.

why are you even considering messing with trying to integrate this lot.

and if you have a good running TDV6 D3, why not just sell it and buy a V8 D3 for the same money? straight swap? why bugger around? you aren't improving on a D3 V8 unless you fit a very expensive motor, and then, again, to what point? just buy a Range Rover sport of similar vintage!
    all good points

I had a trashed 4.7HO V8 in my WJ, if I had found anybody back then with the track record on converting to Lexus, I would have done it. In the end I sold a very neat rolling body for under R30k. Poor Bulli then had to probably throw the value of a 1UZ conversion at the thing to get it running.

Here we have D3s with no engines: the 1UZ is a great option instead of dumping the body for R30-R50k. And a sorted guy won't charge R100k for a conversion unless it is a once-off and he needs to fund the R&D.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Gentlemen,
    Stop worrying.
    Overstressing the diff? It is designed to take more torque in low range than it will ever get from now on.
    Safety systems by-passed? Lets give the owner of Roverland a little more credit.
    Air springs not operational? Ummm, don't LR offer a coil spring option?
    Transmission by-passed? So is the non-operational engine, what is your point?

I was driving next to this D3 in traffic yesterday morning, it sounded lovely every time it pulled away.

Oh yes, it was being driven by a WOMAN! So I am sure that you 4x4 action men should have no problem handling this rough beast.
    2008 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    2000 Hilux Raider 4x4

I must admit to being a little bit biased.....the sound of a Lexus makes me giggle like a school girl

I must admit to being a little bit biased.....the sound of a Lexus makes me giggle like a school girl

we are out in the desert with some pretty much bog standard 3.9 LR V8s under modified bodies...

they sound better than a Lexus, every day of the week.

just my opinion of course

(Oil leaks are , obviously, part of the deal)

we are out in the desert with some pretty much bog standard 3.9 LR V8s under modified bodies...

they sound better than a Lexus, every day of the week.
    Alex.......I thought I had LOW standards......

Alex.......I thought I had LOW standards......
    I'm objective

That Toyota motor is horribly over rated.....

Something interesting from a UK traveller. Maybe some of our members can vouch for this?
    Condition of VehiclesJapanese cars are virtually always low mileage, by UK standards, and the mileage can be relied upon. It would actually be very difficult to find a car in Japan that had done 12,000 miles per year - the British average. One rarely sees a vehicle with more than 100,000 kilometres (62,000 miles) on the clock.

Japanese cars have almost certainly never been driven hard. Even vehicles equipped with performance accessories such as spoilers, air dams and skirts were prepared by their proud Japanese owners for show rather than for being thrashed - Japanese road conditions and traffic habits just make fast driving impracticable.

Japanese drivers generally keep their cars in immaculate condition and well serviced. Before any dealer in Japan offers a car for sale (private sales are quite unusual) he makes sure it can pass the Japanese MOT (so-called 'shaken') which is very severe, and he has to be ready to support the car, since consumer protection is fierce. Accordingly a buyer doesn't have to be concerned about its mechanical condition. A car, which would be considered to be in 'fair' condition in the UK, is just junk in Japan and no trader would try to sell it to the public - to do so would cause them grief. New cars are inexpensive in Japan and because of their standards, cars are seldom driven when in need of attention.

Equipment Level

Cars sold in Japan generally have a higher equipment specification than UK equivalents. This often includes air conditioning (an expensive UK option) electric win
    2005 Disco 3 TDV6

Quote Originally Posted by georgecape View Post
    Something interesting from a UK traveller. Maybe some of our members can vouch for this?
    Condition of VehiclesJapanese cars are virtually always low mileage, by UK standards, and the mileage can be relied upon. It would actually be very difficult to find a car in Japan that had done 12,000 miles per year - the British average. One rarely sees a vehicle with more than 100,000 kilometres (62,000 miles) on the clock.

Japanese cars have almost certainly never been driven hard. Even vehicles equipped with performance accessories such as spoilers, air dams and skirts were prepared by their proud Japanese owners for show rather than for being thrashed - Japanese road conditions and traffic habits just make fast driving impracticable.

Japanese drivers generally keep their cars in immaculate condition and well serviced. Before any dealer in Japan offers a car for sale (private sales are quite unusual) he makes sure it can pass the Japanese MOT (so-called 'shaken') which is very severe, and he has to be ready to support the car, since consumer protection is fierce. Accordingly a buyer doesn't have to be concerned about its mechanical condition. A car, which would be considered to be in 'fair' condition in the UK, is just junk in Japan and no trader would try to sell it to the public - to do so would cause them grief. New cars are inexpensive in Japan and because of their standards, cars are seldom driven when in need of attention.

Equipment Level

Cars sold in Japan generally have a higher equipment specification than UK equivalents. This often includes air conditioning (an expensive UK option) electric win
    Interesting. And nice to hear considering I recently bought a Japanese import.
    1999 Land Rover Defender 90 Td5
    2003 Yamaha YZ250
    1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ, 3 inch Pro comp, TBS, Powerflow, MT's 10x9.5 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by georgecape View Post

Equipment Level

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanR View Post
    Interesting. And nice to hear considering I recently bought a Japanese import.
    not really true.

first of all , not all motors you buy are from Japan. even if the company is called Japan motors.

a lot come from Europe and USA

it is true that Japanese annual mileage's tend to be low, and they have an annual test to ensure they are properly maintained. but 20 year old motors are still 20 years of low mileage.

and if the car is still reasonable , it gets shipped, complete , to Aus.

and also true that they are not worth repairing at a certain point, because it's cheaper to buy a new one - and if the car is still reasonable , it gets shipped, complete , to Aus.

most Japanese cars go to the scrap heap with perfect bodies and motors that no longer comply - because they are knackered by that country's standards, and tooo knackered to go to Aus. accident levels are low due to strict policing and write offs due to accident at low mileage is rare.

just like the UK and USA ones, although you might get a low miler more easily from those countries due to accident write off.

All of the Lexus V8s I've used had the mileage written on the cam cover before being removed from the body (I presume honestly)

none were less than 180 000km.

have you heard of 'pick 'n' pull for selecting motors for reuse in places where used motors are used?
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2016/10/16 at 04:30 PM.

Pick 'n' Pull

you want some motors for SA?

walk in and pick the ones you want before the whole car hits the crusher.

Pull 'em out.

That's why you need to know your importer.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

not really true.

first of all , not all motors you buy are from Japan. even if the company is called Japan motors.

a lot come from Europe and USA

it is true that Japanese annual mileage's tend to be low, and they have an annual test to ensure they are properly maintained. but 20 year old motors are still 20 years of low mileage.

and if the car is still reasonable , it gets shipped, complete , to Aus.

and also true that they are not worth repairing at a certain point, because it's cheaper to buy a new one - and if the car is still reasonable , it gets shipped, complete , to Aus.

most Japanese cars go to the scrap heap with perfect bodies and motors that no longer comply - because they are knackered by that country's standards, and tooo knackered to go to Aus. accident levels are low due to strict policing and write offs due to accident at low mileage is rare.

just like the UK and USA ones, although you might get a low miler more easily from those countries due to accident write off.

All of the Lexus V8s I've used had the mileage written on the cam cover before being removed from the body (I presume honestly)

none were less than 180 000km.

have you heard of 'pick 'n' pull for selecting motors for reuse in places where used motors are used?
    Fortunately I'm refering to a complete car from Japan. I was not aware of the annual and pre-sale checks, a good thing I think, its all I have for peace of mind considering there is no service history on these cars.
    2003 Yamaha YZ250

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanR View Post
    Fortunately I'm refering to a complete car from Japan. I was not aware of the annual and pre-sale checks, a good thing I think, its all I have for peace of mind considering there is no service history on these cars.

you cannot import a complete used car into SA.

don't know about Namibia...

you cannot import a complete used car into SA.

don't know about Namibia...
    In lovely Namibia we have many things to be happy about, importing used cars is one of those things. If you are in Nam for a bit pay a visit to one of the import dealerships. You might be amazed at what is on offer. The prices are decent too.
    2003 Yamaha YZ250

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast