Tsitsikamma 4x4

Thread: Tsitsikamma 4x4

Default Tsitsikamma 4x4

Hey Everyone

I am driving from Jeffreys to Knysna over the December holidays and looked for a scenic route to take that is a little bit more than a dirt road, yet easy enough for me with my limited experience (Essentially a route that cannot be done in a sedan, or logging truck, yet does not need a guide), and came across this: https://www.sanparks.org/parks/garde.../soetkraal.php

4x4 Activities

The Tsitsikamma Area further aims to provide specific resource based recreation, whilst limiting human activity in the area. Soetkraal, being situated deep in the mountains, is only accessible by 4x4 vehicles, hence the opportunity for members of the public to experience this spectacular wilderness area, is available in the form of a guided 4x4 trail.

The 4x4 trail traverses the Tsitsikamma Mountain Range and can be entered from the Langkloof Valley (R62), near Misgund or from the coast at The Crags, (N2) near Plettenberg Bay. The trail is 52km in length and climbs from sea level to an altitude of 1150m and then drops into the Langkloof (600m). Incredible vistas towards the ocean and Robberg Peninsula greet the trailists as they climb towards Witberg (1134m), the highest point before a steep descent into the Palmiet River valley and Soetkraal. The route then meanders along the Palmiet River, through indigenous forest and once again into a fountain of fynbos species. It then climbs again until the skyline breaks into the most amazing view of the Langkloof valley. The return route to the coast is via the Langkloof and Prince Alfred's Pass. This route is a scenic extravaganza in its own right and passes through Avontuur, the Plett Trout Farm and Kruisvallei.
    Has anyone done this trail? Some tips and pointers will be welcome. I have also contacted the appropriate people at SANPARKS and will post their feedback once received since this appears to be a guided route, which isn't entirely terrible.

Default Re: Tsitsikamma 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Loams View Post
    Hey Everyone

I am driving from Jeffreys to Knysna over the December holidays and looked for a scenic route to take that is a little bit more than a dirt road, yet easy enough for me with my limited experience (Essentially a route that cannot be done in a sedan, or logging truck, yet does not need a guide), and came across this: https://www.sanparks.org/parks/garde.../soetkraal.php

Has anyone done this trail? Some tips and pointers will be welcome. I have also contacted the appropriate people at SANPARKS and will post their feedback once received since this appears to be a guided route, which isn't entirely terrible.
    I will place this for you in the Eastern Cape and Southern Cape sections as well. I am sure someone will know about this trail.
    Moenie leef met die droom "ek gaan dit doen as ek eendag aftree" want dit mag dalk nie gebeur.
    2018 Toyota Hilux 2.8 4x4 Raider.
    2017 Mazda CX-3 Individual Plus
    2017 BMW R1200 GSA Triple Black
    2006 Mercedes Benz SLK 350

I've done this trail many moons ago!(2004, I Think)

At that stage they were seriously getting rid of the non-indiginious plants, so I thank it should be way better now than at that stage.

Not challenging at all, with really spectacular scenery.

There used to be a campsite which really looked nice, but we did not make use of it. Do not know whether it is still the case.

If the trail still run from Misgund (R62) to the Crags (N2) or vice versa, you can also include the Prince Alfred Pass between Avontuur and Plett.

Enjoy
    Bostoe

Yup,

That's what I am hoping to achieve... Hook a left somewhere near/at Misgund, through the national Park, to hook up to Prince Alfred's Pass into Knysna... Having said that, some of the forestry guys tend to drive like maniacs on the pass.

Still waiting for SANPARK to come back to me

Quote Originally Posted by Loams View Post
    Yup,

That's what I am hoping to achieve... Hook a left somewhere near/at Misgund, through the national Park, to hook up to Prince Alfred's Pass into Knysna... Having said that, some of the forestry guys tend to drive like maniacs on the pass.

Still waiting for SANPARK to come back to me
    Hi Loams,

I did reply to this in thread in another section... don't get your hopes up, this pass has been closed for a while! It's seriously over grown from the campsite up to R62.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frostbite For This Useful Post:

Any fresh news on this old thread?

Looking for some 4x4 routes in the Tsitsikamma/Garden Route area...

2014 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4