Which tent to buy?

Default Which tent to buy?

I am looking into buying a new tent. We would like to tour Namibia during 2017.

I have been advised on different tents by a number of experienced campers.

Please advise on the following:
    The tent which I like is the Howling Moon Strata Dome Tent - is this a good buy?
    There is a new make, (to me it is new as I have never heard of the make) Check Point - Delta 2.5 X 2.5 - is this any good as it is cost less than half the price of the Howling Moon?
    Any other suggestions on tents. It will be just my wife and myself camping?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Trevorlath For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Which tent to buy?

Does the Delta look like the one on the left ? If so I found it to be a very good tent, easy to set up and pack away. It is nylon, so not as robust as the canvass but it does the job well and managed no problem in the few bad days weather we had. The one on the right is a Bushtec Goshawk. 3x3. If I find this a better tent as it is fully double skinned but does take a little longer for set up and take down.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Stranger; 2016/10/10 at 09:05 AM.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Tentco Junior/Senior Safari Bow...

Senior is awesome, although slighly onerous if you plan on moving camp a lot. I pitch it myself in 20mins...all up.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Does the Delta look like the one on the left ? If so I found it to be a very good tent, easy to set up and pack away. It is nylon, so not as robust as the canvass but it does the job well and managed no problem in the few bad days weather we had. The one on the right is a Bushtec Goshawk. 3x3. If I find this a better tent as it is fully double skinned but does take a little longer for set up and take down.
    Hi Stranger
    It does look like the one on the left.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Only disadvantage is rain water can get on the tent sides and if you brush against them it can come through. Good value for money though, they are reasonably priced and better than your Makro specials. Packs up into a neat small a package and around 12kg if I remember.

For the money this would be a better deal.

http://www.takealot.com/bushtec-gosh...d/PLID34173785
    Last edited by Stranger; 2016/10/10 at 11:17 AM.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

Only disadvantage is rain water can get on the tent sides and if you brush against them it can come through. Good value for money though, they are reasonably priced and better than your Makro specials. Packs up into a neat small a package and around 12kg if I remember.

For the money this would be a better deal.

http://www.takealot.com/bushtec-gosh...d/PLID34173785
    Thank you Stranger
    I see the Bushtec-Goshawk has a 1200mm water column as to the Check Point which has a 1500mm water column. Does this not mean that the Check Point is better water proofed? Just asking as I do not have a lot of knowledge when it comes to tents.

If we look at the construction of the two. The Check point has a peak fly. Two reasons for it. One to divert water away from the peak and secondly to create an air gap that will reduce condensation inside the tent. As heat rises and cold air outside meet condensation will occur. The Check point tent is actually well designed and constructed. The 1500 mm water column is because of the fact that water will come off the fly and onto the tent walls. As said as long as you do not touch the walls on the inside, no problem.

The Goshawk is double skinned, in effect you have two tents, one inside the other. The advantages are that it is both cooler in the heat and warmer in the cold. It does not need as high a water column as there is far little chance of water getting between the outer to the inner.

I have both of these that are used for when the camping party gets bigger, kids, friends and so on, and they often get pitched next to or close to each other. The Check point without doubt is quicker and easier. The Goshawk a little more complex but neither is as much effort as a canvas. Both have good features but from guys that have used both, they comment that the Goshawk is the better bet. The front outer skin flap doubles as a shade and when it is zipped down at night leaves a space for your boots that is still "indoors" without being in the tent. Ventilation on both is very good with both having decent mozzie net windows as well as a full covering.

It comes down to what you want. If you are the one night stand type, the Check point is a breeze. By the time you have put it up once or twice you have the routine sorted. If there is a chance of a fight with Swambo due to frustration, go with the Check point. Very easy to deploy. If you are the calm not fazed type that can happily have a beer while contemplating what the next step is, go with the Goshawk. A little more work, not a lot just a little and a few more pegs.

What are they asking for the check point now ?

Asked Swambo just now and she seems to think we paid R1599 on special at Campworld a couple of years ago. I remember pricing them in 2014 and was quoted 2600. I know the Goshawk was R1699 then. Same price as now.
    Last edited by Stranger; 2016/10/10 at 02:01 PM.

BMW R1200R

If we look at the construction of the two. The Check point has a peak fly. Two reasons for it. One to divert water away from the peak and secondly to create an air gap that will reduce condensation inside the tent. As heat rises and cold air outside meet condensation will occur. The Check point tent is actually well designed and constructed. The 1500 mm water column is because of the fact that water will come off the fly and onto the tent walls. As said as long as you do not touch the walls on the inside, no problem.

The Goshawk is double skinned, in effect you have two tents, one inside the other. The advantages are that it is both cooler in the heat and warmer in the cold. It does not need as high a water column as there is far little chance of water getting between the outer to the inner.

I have both of these that are used for when the camping party gets bigger, kids, friends and so on, and they often get pitched next to or close to each other. The Check point without doubt is quicker and easier. The Goshawk a little more complex but neither is as much effort as a canvas. Both have good features but from guys that have used both, they comment that the Goshawk is the better bet. The front outer skin flap doubles as a shade and when it is zipped down at night leaves a space for your boots that is still "indoors" without being in the tent. Ventilation on both is very good with both having decent mozzie net windows as well as a full covering.

It comes down to what you want. If you are the one night stand type, the Check point is a breeze. By the time you have put it up once or twice you have the routine sorted. If there is a chance of a fight with Swambo due to frustration, go with the Check point. Very easy to deploy. If you are the calm not fazed type that can happily have a beer while contemplating what the next step is, go with the Goshawk. A little more work, not a lot just a little and a few more pegs.

What are they asking for the check point now ?

Asked Swambo just now and she seems to think we paid R1599 on special at Campworld a couple of years ago. I remember pricing them in 2014 and was quoted 2600. I know the Goshawk was R1699 then. Same price as now.
    Thank you for the excellent explanation, it now makes sense to me.
    The Check Point now sells for R1395.00 at CampWorld. For R300.00 difference I will rather go for the Goshawk.

PS
    I am calm and can happily have a beer while contemplating what the next step is.

Thank you once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevorlath View Post
    Thank you for the excellent explanation, it now makes sense to me.
    The Check Point now sells for R1395.00 at CampWorld. For R300.00 difference I will rather go for the Goshawk.

PS
    I am calm and can happily have a beer while contemplating what the next step is.

Thank you once again.
    Does the Goshawk not get very hot? I don't see any window openings on the sides, or back.

No, plenty ventilation on the inner tent and vents on the outer. Being double skinned you can happily leave the inner windows open even if it is a little wet but still hot.

BMW R1200R

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post: