Default Puma drivetrain whine in first gear, etc. What to do / where to go?

Howdy all,

I'd appreciate any comments regarding what I should do about this / where to go.
    I have seen on this forum mentions of Centurion Gearbox and possibly Landyworx as the right people...but if anyone has other suggestions they would be appreciated.

Vehicle: 2007 Defender Puma 2.4 CSW, bought new from LR. Runs like a train, fuel is between 8.2 and 10 km/L depending on how I drive.

Previous work:

• replaced clutch at 100 000km,
    • replaced front springs a few months ago with 110 HD springs (=130 fronts),
    • replaced A-frame ball joint and other suspension bushes, just because I wanted to (not shot)
    • replaced all diff, gearbox and t/fer case oils twice so far myself
    • have had universal joints serviced off the vehicle, all fine, greased regularly. Thinking I should replace them?
    • current mileage is 161 000 km
    • engine is fine (removed cat innards, and disconnected the EGR with no warning lamp on), service every 10000km
    • I get about 80 000km on my tyres (BFG and Cooper)

Current symptoms:

• From new the drivetrain has been very tight without backlash.
    • The last 35 000km slight backlash has developed, slowly. I think it’s from the rear diff but don’t know for sure. Could be combination of the usuals (hub flanges and shafts, diff, transfer case). It’s not really what is bugging me.
    • 1. Went to Zambia a few months ago and now there is a “cyclical, rhythmic, humming” emanating form the drivetrain, usually between 100-120 km/h, when under power, especially on an uphill but not exclusively. Could be rear diff, but seems to emanate from gearbox/transfer. Below that speed, the humm is absent. It isn't the tyres because of the concurrence with power application at certain speeds.
    • 2. In addition, only in first gear, there is a cyclical whining sound (also only when under power / throttle), best described as “wha-wha-wha-wha-wha” increasing in frequency as the speed rises. Sounds like a bearing maybe. Sounds very similar to the sound that comes from a gearbox when you reverse most vehicles. As soon as I change into second gear, the sound seems to be gone. Normal power, no vibrations.

I would like to nip any failure of components prior to it possibly happening and would appreciate any advice.

I have just had all the oils analysed by Wearcheck in JHB.

Any advice anyone could levy would be most helpful and welcome.
    I’m a bit weary of taking the vehicle to just anyone as I just don’t think they have the experience with these components?

Oils I have used from the beginning:

• MT82 Gearbox: Castrol Syntrans 75W90, 2.2 L (not filled to fill-plug)
    • Transfer box: Castrol Syntrax 75W90, 2.3 L
    • Diffs: Castrol EPX 80W90

WearCheck reports basically say:

• Gearbox: they say the oil seems to be “tractor universal oil”?? And that the oil shows no abnormality from wearing parts? I hope so but cannot explain why it’s only first gear I hear a whine, which would indicate the main gearbox?? Or not?
    • Rear diff: I only replaced the oil 30 000km ago (both diffs); the report says the oil is unusable, full of silicon dust and I need to check the seals. No leaks whatsoever are evident, including from the hubs. I did replace the oil seal on the right hand rear side of the axle (prevents egress of differential oil along the side-shaft to the hub and out) a couple years ago as there was a slight leak.
    • Transfer case was slightly low on oil, about 500ml…there is a leak. They note that thrust washer wear-rate is higher than normal…
    • Front diff normal.

I would like to do something BEFORE it gets worse.

Thanks in advance,

S
    Last edited by SteveRoskelly; 2016/10/07 at 08:43 PM.

Default Re: Puma drivetrain whine in first gear, etc. What to do / where to go?

Hi Steve where is the oil on the transfer case leaking from?

Athough to me it sounds like a diff, probably the rear. Mine makes a low wha wha wha while coasting, decided to just ignore it. 40k k later and no issues. Quote common apparently...
    Last edited by ClaudeG; 2016/10/07 at 09:30 PM.

Defender Puma Raw Limited Edition
    Series III 88"
    Scout Nomad

Chop your own firewood and it will warm you twice

Defender Puma Raw Limited Edition
    Series III 88"
    Scout Nomad

Chop your own firewood and it will warm you twice

Hi Claude,
    Not sure where it's leaking from, will clean, check and revert.
    I think the rear diff might be acting up, but the whine I can distinctly hear from the central part of the underside of the Landy, and ONLY in first.
    Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by SteveRoskelly View Post
    Howdy all,

I'd appreciate any comments regarding what I should do about this / where to go.
    I have seen on this forum mentions of Centurion Gearbox and possibly Landyworx as the right people...but if anyone has other suggestions they would be appreciated.

Vehicle: 2007 Defender Puma 2.4 CSW, bought new from LR. Runs like a train, fuel is between 8.2 and 10 km/L depending on how I drive.

Previous work:

• replaced clutch at 100 000km,
    • replaced front springs a few months ago with 110 HD springs (=130 fronts),
    • replaced A-frame ball joint and other suspension bushes, just because I wanted to (not shot)
    • replaced all diff, gearbox and t/fer case oils twice so far myself
    • have had universal joints serviced off the vehicle, all fine, greased regularly. Thinking I should replace them?
    • current mileage is 161 000 km
    • engine is fine (removed cat innards, and disconnected the EGR with no warning lamp on), service every 10000km
    • I get about 80 000km on my tyres (BFG and Cooper)

Current symptoms:

• From new the drivetrain has been very tight without backlash.
    • The last 35 000km slight backlash has developed, slowly. I think it’s from the rear diff but don’t know for sure. Could be combination of the usuals (hub flanges and shafts, diff, transfer case). It’s not really what is bugging me.
    • 1. Went to Zambia a few months ago and now there is a “cyclical, rhythmic, humming” emanating form the drivetrain, usually between 100-120 km/h, when under power, especially on an uphill but not exclusively. Could be rear diff, but seems to emanate from gearbox/transfer. Below that speed, the humm is absent. It isn't the tyres because of the concurrence with power application at certain speeds.
    • 2. In addition, only in first gear, there is a cyclical whining sound (also only when under power / throttle), best described as “wha-wha-wha-wha-wha” increasing in frequency as the speed rises. Sounds like a bearing maybe. Sounds very similar to the sound that comes from a gearbox when you reverse most vehicles. As soon as I change into second gear, the sound seems to be gone. Normal power, no vibrations.

I would like to nip any failure of components prior to it possibly happening and would appreciate any advice.

I have just had all the oils analysed by Wearcheck in JHB.

Any advice anyone could levy would be most helpful and welcome.
    I’m a bit weary of taking the vehicle to just anyone as I just don’t think they have the experience with these components?

Oils I have used from the beginning:

• MT82 Gearbox: Castrol Syntrans 75W90, 2.2 L (not filled to fill-plug)
    • Transfer box: Castrol Syntrax 75W90, 2.3 L
    • Diffs: Castrol EPX 80W90

WearCheck reports basically say:

• Gearbox: they say the oil seems to be “tractor universal oil”?? And that the oil shows no abnormality from wearing parts? I hope so but cannot explain why it’s only first gear I hear a whine, which would indicate the main gearbox?? Or not?
    • Rear diff: I only replaced the oil 30 000km ago (both diffs); the report says the oil is unusable, full of silicon dust and I need to check the seals. No leaks whatsoever are evident, including from the hubs. I did replace the oil seal on the right hand rear side of the axle (prevents egress of differential oil along the side-shaft to the hub and out) a couple years ago as there was a slight leak.
    • Transfer case was slightly low on oil, about 500ml…there is a leak. They note that thrust washer wear-rate is higher than normal…
    • Front diff normal.

I would like to do something BEFORE it gets worse.

Thanks in advance,

S
    Hi Steve

THERE IS ONLY ONE PLACE to take it to and that is The Gearbox Company in Strjidompark. Sean Riley. He has done lots of work for me and countless others. Last job was a complete gearbox overhaul on my 2003 BBRR Td6.

Sean Riley - [email protected]

Good luck!
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hgbosch For This Useful Post:

I agree ..had a whiny transfer box ...took it to The Gearbox Co and they sorted it out properly.Rebuilt the transfer box and i tried it out this week in Richardsbay. Perfect ....they also previously did some other work for me ...replaced the bearings in the gearbox itself. Worked like a charm after that. They are professional and they fix the problems efficiently. You won't go wrong with these guys.
    My Landie hou net aan loop...

Thanks George for the recommendation.
    I shall contact Sean and have a chat.
    All the best!
    S

Hi all,
    Contacted Sean and will take her in for a check-up and possible operation.
    Report back about the state and repairs will be interesting to compare with the WearCheck oil reports for all four gear "systems" on this truck.
    Cheers 4 now,

Hi Steve, happy new year and all of that ,thank you for your support and thank you to the kind words from the other members.Lets keep your Landy's happy this year
    Sean Riley
    Disco 3 Tdv6 se.2008

Thanks Sean for repairing the gearbox, runs like she used to again!
    main shaft replaced plus bearings and seals
    clutch replaced
    slave cyclinder replaced
    transfer box inspected, all perfect.
    Cheers