GPSMAP 276Cx - Page 4

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: GPSMAP 276Cx

Default Re: GPSMAP 276Cx

Good Evening,

So I have had a chance to play around with the unit to try and get the startup time down from the current 2 mins almost.

I am cautiously optimistic that I have found solution, but need to test it on the road tomorrow.

The startup time is now 9 secs from pushing the power button to unit being usable! Yes.. that is NINE seconds.

Firstly, the startup time was NOT affected by T4A being on SD card vs Internal Memory.

What did the trick (and this is where I am hoping I have not removed anything important) was to remove an .img file from the Garmin folder that is accessible when exploring the units Internal Memory via your PC/Macbook using Explorer/Finder.

The specific file is:D5844010B.img and is about 4.3 gig in size.

I copied it to two other locations for safe keeping before removing.

If anyone knows what this file is and what it does, please let us know. In the mean time I am going to contact Navworld tomorrow to find out if they know.

Anyway, the unit seems to have all functionality and Navigation seems to be working. T4A is running smoothly, I can search, route, transfer to/from the unit, it tracks, I can see all the info on the map and also contours etc.

But best is that it starts up under 10secs from full power off!

Holding thumbs this works.

Cheers

Grumbles
    2008 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 "Sushi the Tuna"
    2018 Baobab 4 - B1543 "Nala"

Bacon fact #16 - Bacon is Healthier than Crystal Meth!

I hope I am wrong, but I remember killing an .img file on my 276c and lost the "Base Map", the one the shows the outlines of Africa, basically.
    '00 Nissan D22 QD32Ti 4x4 D/C
    '10 Toyota LC150 4.0V6 VX
    '10 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré
    Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbles View Post
    Good Evening,

So I have had a chance to play around with the unit to try and get the startup time down from the current 2 mins almost.

I am cautiously optimistic that I have found solution, but need to test it on the road tomorrow.

The startup time is now 9 secs from pushing the power button to unit being usable! Yes.. that is NINE seconds.

Firstly, the startup time was NOT affected by T4A being on SD card vs Internal Memory.

What did the trick (and this is where I am hoping I have not removed anything important) was to remove an .img file from the Garmin folder that is accessible when exploring the units Internal Memory via your PC/Macbook using Explorer/Finder.

The specific file is:D5844010B.img and is about 4.3 gig in size.

I copied it to two other locations for safe keeping before removing.

If anyone knows what this file is and what it does, please let us know. In the mean time I am going to contact Navworld tomorrow to find out if they know.

Anyway, the unit seems to have all functionality and Navigation seems to be working. T4A is running smoothly, I can search, route, transfer to/from the unit, it tracks, I can see all the info on the map and also contours etc.

But best is that it starts up under 10secs from full power off!

Holding thumbs this works.

Cheers

Grumbles
    Great news. Please keep us updated when you contacted Navworld

Here are two pics, I still have the Worlwide Basemap as an option, same as before removing the file.

Second pic is T4A zoomed out max.

Grumbles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0644.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	391.8 KB 
ID:	487725   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0643.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	433.2 KB 
ID:	487726  

I just remembered something I saw on the box when I got the unit.

It has been "regionalised" but taking away the Europe recreational maps and adding TopoActive Africa maps.

I checked Garmin's website, and the download is 4.6 Gig if you want to buy.

So more than likely that's what it is.

Now the question is... what do you need it for?

Personally, I just use T4A on mine and it has all the POI that I need and everything else works.

Can anyone with more experience in these mapping products explain just who uses these TopaActive Maps.

I can only assume it makes the unit usable for routing and Navigation without any extra custom maps like T4A etc etc?

I am going to call Navworld anyway and speak to someone.

Grumbles
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I used the topographic maps when I was still volunteering for route finding for several Toyota Desert Races.

The topographic maps are very heavy / detailed, and does slow any GPSr down.

T4A maps in comparison is very lean.
    Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

Well there we have it.

It is however not required for normal overlanding using T4A correct?

Thanks,

Grumbles

I have used the Street Maps and T4A combination for Overlanding successfully for many years.

But as in the past, the Topographic maps is a combination of Street Maps with the topographic information combined, switching between the two became a chore, so I stuck to the Topographic Maps and T4A to this day.
    I can not drive faster than the GPSr is able to update, except on the motorcycle, in town driving, it does often lag.

Hi Grumbles,

Let us know if it works....

Garmin likes to load images of their offices in the States on the GPS - maybe that is what you removed!

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Did a short trip today, everything functions normally.

What a pleasure to switch on and working in 10 secs.

@Lizette

I still haven't called Navworld but 4.3 gig of pictures seems excessive.

I will update once I know what that file is exactly.

Cheers,

Grumbles

I ran some tests on my two units. One boots up in 10 seconds, and the other in 11-12 seconds.

One is loaded with European base maps and other rubbish, Topo SA v3 Pro and T4A
    The other has the world base map, Topo SA v3 Pro, T4A, and TopoActive Africa v3.

Removing the various img files did not improve or worsen the boot-up time.

However, one unit has TopoSA pro loaded on the internal memory - not sure if I bought it like that (I got that one second hand), or if I managed to get it uploaded successfully from the SD card? I tried loading it to the internal memory on the other unit, without success, first with unlock errors, and then later with authentication errors.

While I had the image file on the internal memory, the unit took 30 or more seconds to load the map set, before informing me of the error. Removing the files again and using the SD card instead, sorted this again.

Apart from long boot-up times while messing about with these files, I never had the same problems as Grumbles had, even with all the different mapsets loaded.

I would love to sort my unlock code though to have the Topo loaded on the internal memory. The one on the SD card is obviously married to the SD card

I still haven't called Navworld but 4.3 gig of pictures seems excessive.
    I will update once I know what that file is exactly.
    On my unit,
    D5844010B.img (4.1GB) is Topoactive Africa
    D612300A.img (.09GB) is Topo Madagascar
    D4382010A.img (2.6GB) is Topo SA v3 PRO

Not sure if the file name numbers will be the same for the identical maps on different units? gmapsupp.img seems to be a universal name as well - have seen it being used for T4A on my one unit, and also for Topo SA pro on the SD card

Hi mikml,

Thanks for the feedback. This then obviously confirms what the file is that I removed, because it is exactly the same filename. It also confirms just how useless Garmin SA support is. I gave them this filename, and he said that he does not know and it can be anything. 8)

So I asked him where do they regionalise the unit?? He said in JNB. OK... then surely you guys would recognise the file, given the name and size NO... was the answer, they need the file to investigate what it is, and each topo file on every unit has unique name/number!! I give up!!

Anyway, at least I know it all works, just strange why my unit would take so long to load that mapset.

mikeml... when you go to "configure maps" in order to select which mapset you want to run, does it give you the option for Topoactive? Mine does not, even when the file has been loaded.

Also, just curious, for YOUR use, what do you use Topo maps for on the 276?

Thanks,

Grumbles

mikeml... when you go to "configure maps" in order to select which mapset you want to run, does it give you the option for Topoactive? Mine does not, even when the file has been loaded.

Also, just curious, for YOUR use, what do you use Topo maps for on the 276?
    I will check tomorrow about Topoactive. I deleted the files as I do not use that mapset. I'm sure it will show up when I restore the files. I will also try and load it onto the other GPSr which did not have it loaded and give feedback. It's actually not a bad map at all especially considering that it came free preloaded.

Topo maps? I was not keen to get them, but went on advice from others singing their praises. They are overated as far as I'm concerned. I turned off the topo functions, not because of the slow rastering of the 276Cx, but because of the clutter. The best GPS map is the one showing clear road/track markings. While driving, you don't have time to focus on the map to try and figure out if you are going to go up or downhill, and how steep it is going to be, or what the lot number of the farm you are traveling through is. Looking out the window is much more accurate to determine whether you are going up or down. Contours can also detract from tracks, especially if they are similar colours.

It is a different matter however when planning your trip in detail on your PC beforehand, on the macro level. Face it, if you have to go from point A to B, you will have to go, whatever the gradient is going to be. I'm quite comfortable with contours, but other tools like GE have spoiled me when it come to evaluating the topography I'm going to travel through.

mikeml... when you go to "configure maps" in order to select which mapset you want to run, does it give you the option for Topoactive? Mine does not, even when the file has been loaded..............
    I had to delete the Topo SA v3 PRO map to make space for the Topoactive Africa v3 file (D5844010B.img 4 171 648KB). After copying it into the Garmin folder, it could be selected under configure maps. Replacing it with my Topo SA PRO files was not a problem to get that mapset back.

Thanks mikeml!

I will test it again however, the last time I checked, it could not be selected, and the unit was slow. The file could be corrupt.

Anyway, I do not use it so as long as T4A runs smoothly I am a happy camper!

Cheers,

Grumbles

Yip, could be a corrupted file. That would also explain why your startup time could have been slow - it probably tried to reload it every time you switched your GPS on, like it does after you load a new map to the unit.

I also deleted Topoactive, as the road network is incomplete in my area. Routing would be very inaccurate.

Battery on my 276c has now packed up.

Rather than spend R1200 on new battery, can I go for the 276cx now? Is it kinda sorted now?
    Best regards
    Philip
    LR: '11 Rangie 5.0 S/C
    LR: '01 Disco 2 XS 4.6 V8
    Ford: '19 Ranger 3.2 XLS Manual SuperCab 4x4 (XLT was horrible)
    Chevrolet: '70 C10 350ci / 700R4 (4-sp Overdrive)

Bit late to the party, but if you have issues identifying and managing the .img files on your Garmin GPS, you should download JaVaWa Device Manager from here: http://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html

Easily the best way I've found to do it - been using it on my car and motorcycle GPS as well as my Fenix watch with great results. It's also pretty useful for devices with limited storage, as it allows you to easily backup and restore maps to / from your GPS.

Bought one. Waiting for delivery.

Getting T4A with it.

Which other map(s) would you recommend I get? (I had Southern Africa Topographical on my 276c) Looks like the only candidates are:
    1) City Navigator Southern Africa NT (US$99);
    2) Topo Southern Africa Light (US$24).
    Best regards
    Philip
    LR: '11 Rangie 5.0 S/C
    LR: '01 Disco 2 XS 4.6 V8
    Ford: '19 Ranger 3.2 XLS Manual SuperCab 4x4 (XLT was horrible)
    Chevrolet: '70 C10 350ci / 700R4 (4-sp Overdrive)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast