GPSMAP 276Cx - Page 6

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: GPSMAP 276Cx

Default Re: GPSMAP 276Cx

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    Load your T4A onto the unit itself. It makes rendering much quicker.
    This sounds like it could improve things. I'll try it.
    Best regards
    Philip
    LR: '11 Rangie 5.0 S/C
    LR: '01 Disco 2 XS 4.6 V8
    Ford: '14 Ranger 3.2 Auto SuperCab 4x4
    Chevrolet: '70 C10 350ci / 700R4 (4-sp Overdrive)

Quote Originally Posted by LRwit View Post
    The software version on my unit is 3.7. Switches on quickly and receives sat signals even indoors, something the c could not do.

I've also noticed that it routes me via off- and on ramps. Selecting between minimise time vs distance seems to make no difference and when selecting distance certainly does not yield the shortest distance. I have ONLY T4A active on my unit.

Screen update speeds improve the more zoomed in one goes,
    Connect your GPS to your computer and update the software to 3.60 with Garmin Express. This should make a big improvement.

The routing is a via offramps is a bug in the maps and not the GPSr. I've seen one or two on T4A before, but they sorted these after they were reported. If yours still does it after the software update, then please report them to T4A, as there would be wrong definitions at those nodes.

I tested my Cx today, and I could not get my screen to lag at all in town and on the open road, irrespective of the speed I was travelling at. Screen refresh rates were probably close to 0.5 seconds at worst

Connect your GPS to your computer and update the software to 3.60 with Garmin Express. This should make a big improvement.
    Mike, are you suggesing that I DOWNGRADE to 3.6? (My GPS is on 3.7 already)

The routing is a via offramps is a bug in the maps and not the GPSr. I've seen one or two on T4A before, but they sorted these after they were reported. If yours still does it after the software update, then please report them to T4A, as there would be wrong definitions at those nodes.
    I'll try to report as suggested. Another thing I noticed is that the gpraphic that is used on the GPS when passing through a circle suggests that I go the wrong way around the circle. Obviously a LHD vs RHD issue.

I tested my Cx today, and I could not get my screen to lag at all in town and on the open road, irrespective of the speed I was travelling at. Screen refresh rates were probably close to 0.5 seconds at worst
    I copied the T4A map files (2 of them) to the GPS memory ( it was not exactly clear to me WHERE to put it) so I dropped it into the main "Garmin" directory and it does look like this has worked and improved screen update speed significantly. This does negate the benefit of having maps on the SD card though?
    Best regards
    Philip

Mike, are you suggesing that I DOWNGRADE to 3.6? (My GPS is on 3.7 already)

I think you have three point seven, while the latest is three point sixty

I'll try to report as suggested. Another thing I noticed is that the gpraphic that is used on the GPS when passing through a circle suggests that I go the wrong way around the circle. Obviously a LHD vs RHD issue.

Strange. Node definitions should point you in the right direction. Upgrade your software and see if this still happens.

I copied the T4A map files (2 of them) to the GPS memory ( it was not exactly clear to me WHERE to put it) so I dropped it into the main "Garmin" directory and it does look like this has worked and improved screen update speed significantly. This does negate the benefit of having maps on the SD card though?

That's where I dumped mine. I could even rename it Tracks 4 Africa. It is a positive in my mind as it frees the sd card for other uses

How do I get elevation to display accurate figures?

No matter how I calibrate it, the elevation figure is always to low or to high.
    Best regards
    Philip

Menu / change data fields / select GPS Elevation.
    Greetings from Tembe

Menu / change data fields / select GPS Elevation.
    Greetings from Tembe
    Thank you Mike. I did not realise there was that parameter on the list. It should have been called "Elevation(GPS)". THEN I would have seen it.
    Best regards
    Philip

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LRwit For This Useful Post:

I copied the T4A map files (2 of them) to the GPS memory ( it was not exactly clear to me WHERE to put it) so I dropped it into the main "Garmin" directory and it does look like this has worked and improved screen update speed significantly.
    Having dropped the T4A maps onto the GPS internal memory has improved matters significantly, so much so that my disappointment has now been replaced by a cautious but more optimistic "ok, let's see what we have now"....

Screen updates are now acceptably quick, routing calculations now take an acceptable time, and searching for data is now much quicker than before.

The T4A map on my unit seems to have A LOT of bugs, routing me via every off and on-ramp along a highway, wrong way round traffic circles, and missing roads. Eg, the on-ramp from Harrismith to the N3 north is missing. The routing that results from that error takes you though the township.... Bottom line. The GPS functionality that results from the T4A map (Ver 18.05) must be taken with great caution.
    Best regards
    Philip

Having dropped the T4A maps onto the GPS internal memory has improved matters significantly, so much so that my disappointment has now been replaced by a cautious but more optimistic "ok, let's see what we have now"....

Screen updates are now acceptably quick, routing calculations now take an acceptable time, and searching for data is now much quicker than before.

The T4A map on my unit seems to have A LOT of bugs, routing me via every off and on-ramp along a highway, wrong way round traffic circles, and missing roads. Eg, the on-ramp from Harrismith to the N3 north is missing. The routing that results from that error takes you though the township.... Bottom line. The GPS functionality that results from the T4A map (Ver 18.05) must be taken with great caution.
    Good to hear!

Just looked at Harrismith, and that onramp is also missing from my T4A map.... Please send these corrections in to T4A. BTW, where are your being routed the wrong way around a traffic circle?

Used my Cx this weekend in Tembe GR, and did not find any bugs in the way there or back. It's a good unit

Good to hear!

Just looked at Harrismith, and that onramp is also missing from my T4A map.... Please send these corrections in to T4A. BTW, where are your being routed the wrong way around a traffic circle?

Used my Cx this weekend in Tembe GR, and did not find any bugs in the way there or back. It's a good unit
    T4A:
    1) There is no traffic circle at -29.527535, 31.203556
    2) There is no traffic circle at -29.524382, 31.201502

Travelling between Umhlanga and Ballito there are many traffic circles. That's where I noticed the icon on the GPS suggesting I go the wrong way round the circles.

I guess its a bit of conundrum I suppose. Is it the GPS's fault or is it the map's fault?? It seems to me that somewhere a parameter has not been set correctly, so the circle icon shows as for LHD countries. I'm suspecting the map more than the GPS at this stage.

Is there a particular method of reporting issues like this to T4A? I've just been sending messages via the contact us web page. Feels like a black hole though - no feedback.
    Best regards
    Philip

T4A:
    1) There is no traffic circle at -29.527535, 31.203556
    2) There is no traffic circle at -29.524382, 31.201502

Travelling between Umhlanga and Ballito there are many traffic circles. That's where I noticed the icon on the GPS suggesting I go the wrong way round the circles.

I guess its a bit of conundrum I suppose. Is it the GPS's fault or is it the map's fault?? It seems to me that somewhere a parameter has not been set correctly, so the circle icon shows as for LHD countries. I'm suspecting the map more than the GPS at this stage.

Is there a particular method of reporting issues like this to T4A? I've just been sending messages via the contact us web page. Feels like a black hole though - no feedback.
    I agree with the non-existent traffic circles.

Also, I found the traffic circles incorrectly programmed for routing - it's a T4A error from compilers who confuse their left with their other left. You GPS is innocent. These are in Westbrook:

Name:  Westbrook.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  9.7 KB

Please send these corrections to T4A, but either use their portal area if you have created an account/access, or email them to [email protected]. The contact us page is probably not monitored properly if you did not receive feedback.

T4A has responded to my submissions and are looking into the reports I presented.

For the benefit of users of T4A maps, it does not seem to me that route calculation differs between choosing "shortest time" vs "shortest distance". I reported this as well.

Any idea what "curvy route" is
    Best regards
    Philip

I see that firmware 3.80 is out. Nothing in there of interest.
    Best regards
    Philip

I see that firmware 3.80 is out. Nothing in there of interest.
    Thanks for the heads-up. It did not solve the problem on my one unit which refuses to show POIs on higher set zoom levels. Panning speeds and map redraws are still not fast, but acceptable

Just updated my GPS to 4.3.
    Best regards
    Philip

Has someone got a spare battery for the old 276 lying around. Need one please.
    Hercules Pieterse

2.8 Powerstroke Tdi Kalahari 2007
    Accent GLS 2012
    Ex - i20 2011
    Ex - Discovery Tdi 1995
    Ex - Nissan Sani 1994
    082 389 2639

Just updated my GPS to 4.3.
    I just upgraded top 4.3 as well. It has not solved the freexing of the unit when trying to load some POIs

I have T4A 181202 loaded, and just tried to open Matt's Rest B&B in Pietermaritzburg, and froze the unit. Need to remove the batteries to get the GPSr going again. I tried numerous other POIs without freezing the unit, and eventually froze it again with the Shell Fuel Stop a few kms west of Camperdown.

So not sure if this is in fact a T4A problem with a few POIs of still a GPS problem?

Edit: I tried the two above POIs again and could open them each at various zoom levels without freezing the GPS. Looks like an intermittent problem.
    Last edited by mikeml; 2019/03/17 at 07:48 AM.

I'm still very disappointed with my cx.... I still feel like I wasted my money (lots of it).

My kids used it on their recent trip and they also reported it freezing on them. I have not had it happen to me yet, but....

After the upgrade to 4.2, it takes "ages" for the GPS to present results when using FIND. The old model was just so "sorted" and much faster to use. Its ONLY shortcoming, in my view, was its limited memory.

Zooming in and out of maps also takes unacceptably long (I don't have a memory card in it any more - its almost pointless)

For technology at least 15 years more modern, this GPS is ruined by is software (and hardware??).
    Best regards
    Philip

I'm still very disappointed with my cx.... I still feel like I wasted my money (lots of it).

My kids used it on their recent trip and they also reported it freezing on them. I have not had it happen to me yet, but....

After the upgrade to 4.2, it takes "ages" for the GPS to present results when using FIND. The old model was just so "sorted" and much faster to use. Its ONLY shortcoming, in my view, was its limited memory.

Zooming in and out of maps also takes unacceptably long (I don't have a memory card in it any more - its almost pointless)

For technology at least 15 years more modern, this GPS is ruined by is software (and hardware??).
    Go buy a Class 10 UHS 3 micro SD card that do 100m/s reads and writes put your maps on there and come back again. The internal memory is only okayish in terms of speed. A proper fast SD card makes searching and rendering near instant. My 276cx works brilliantly. Still get the odd freeze with T4A. But very seldom. I'm 18.04 T4A.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to kenskind For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kenskind View Post
    Go buy a Class 10 UHS 3 micro SD card that do 100m/s reads and writes put your maps on there and come back again. The internal memory is only okayish in terms of speed. A proper fast SD card makes searching and rendering near instant. My 276cx works brilliantly. Still get the odd freeze with T4A. But very seldom. I'm 18.04 T4A.
    Great info, I'll definitely try that out. Thanks.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast