Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Katse Dam Boat Fishing Trip - with Pics

Evening Gents

Having been to Katse Lodge a month ago with a small inflatable, after having read that you are allowed to use a boat on the dam, I was bitterly disappointed when the officials almost arrested me near Katse Lodge for using the boat (after selling me the boat and fishing permits.......unbelievable, yes!!).

So - this weekend, we visited Motebong Lodge, near Ha Lejone, and near the Katse Bridge and "Tower". See here

http://motebong.com/

VERY friendly staff, nice accommodation - a 3 bedroom house is +- R 1400/night. Only drawback is that the dam level is VERY low. At Motebong, it's so dry that you can walk through Katse there (see pic).

We had to make use of a slipway +- 12km away. Not really an issue, takes you just 15 min or so. Also safe to leave your car there, we had no issues.

The fishing.........out of this world. We were actually targeting yellows, but NO bites there. So we ended up filling our permit quota of 10 fish per permit (= 30 trout) very very quickly and easy. We used fly, Rapala and spinners from the little boat. Yes, I know some frown upon this, but that's how we enjoyed it, without breaking any rules / quotas.

All is all a VERY nice and exciting trip.

Please note how low Katse is........it's unbelievable. Apparently some tunnel that feeds Katse from Mohale Dam is broken, and now Mohale is "forced" (contract) to pump water directly to RSA, bypassing Katse Dam.

I really really hope I'm VERY wrong here......but if the GP guys see how low these dams are, I'd be VERY worried.

Pics attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_1008.JPG 
Views:	1117 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	420220   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_1011.JPG 
Views:	1057 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	420221   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_1009.JPG 
Views:	1113 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	420222   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_1019.JPG 
Views:	1048 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	420223   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_1025.JPG 
Views:	1008 
Size:	210.8 KB 
ID:	420224   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_1020.JPG 
Views:	1068 
Size:	191.0 KB 
ID:	420225  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Katse Dam Boat Fishing Trip - with Pics

View from our verandah. Guys, you are supposed to be able to launch and tie down your boat not far from here. Note those "turns" - they're so dry you can walk through the Dam there. It's supposed to be 40/50 metre deep water there, with that koppie being a small island in the dam.
    The water in that "stream" is ankle depth - at the deepest.

Very sad.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Thanks Petri!

This drought is a massive problem! Lesotho isn't getting the snow which results in run off into the rivers and dams.
    Friends fished Semonkong the other day and also said it was extremely dissapointing.
    Last edited by Geelvis; 2016/10/13 at 09:25 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Geelvis For This Useful Post:

Please note how low Katse is........it's unbelievable. Apparently some tunnel that feeds Katse from Mohale Dam is broken, and now Mohale is "forced" (contract) to pump water directly to RSA, bypassing Katse Dam.

I really really hope I'm VERY wrong here......but if the GP guys see how low these dams are, I'd be VERY worried.

Thing is Geelvis - I chatted to a local one night at Katse........Katse is just a "holding" reservoir, and according to him the rains/snow will never even get Katse full, it's Mohale Dam that gets all that, and that water gets pumped to Katse, and from there to RSA.
    And the engineers' inspections, reports, planning, budgets, etc etc - that alone will take 2/3 years, before they even begin repairing that tunnel between Mohale and Kaste.
    But ja, hopefully we're all wrong, and Katse gets water from Mother Nature.

Chatting to chat local guy that night, I just got this strange feeling that we (meaning SA) are sort of sapping Lesotho dry........

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    we (meaning SA) are sort of sapping Lesotho dry........
    We are, but I'm pretty sure they're being paid a wodge for their water. It's a nice business - free, renewable resource that normally drains away. Put in a dam or two, pump it the other way and fill your country's coffers. And it's going to go on for the foreseeable future too.
    Last edited by RobH; 2016/10/14 at 12:09 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Dunno how old the info is..........Ive read somewhere we're on 250 bar (ZAR) per month now, exceeding our Contractual "quota" by quite a margin.

Water delivery officially began on 22 January 1998. The dam currently supplies about 30 m/s of water to South Africa, which pays Lesotho $35 million per year, plus a variable royalty based on calculated water usage benefits.

Petri I think you caught more fish than you would gave got at Jozini.

MUCH more carl..........the guys had terrible weather, they got something like 13 fish between 3 boats over 4 days.

Feel sorry for them, but damn glad I did'nt travel 1200 km with a boat to catch 2 vissies.

Ek het verby Jozini gery so 3weke terug. Dis net so droog daar en dam is baie laag! Maar jy moet net weet dis n ander tiepe wreld daar, daar kan jy op plekke tot olifante sien as jy visvang, amper n kariba gevoel daar.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to carlp For This Useful Post:

wdw

Sal baie graag wil gaan carl.

Die manne het darem lekker gekuier lyk dit my. My een pel se vir my die wind was so erg, die golwe was 30 meter hoog. Gelukkig is die dam lag, anderste het ons 'n tsunami tipe ding gehad klink dit my

Ek was op Sodwana. En daar was die wind verskriklik!

Sal baie graag wil gaan carl.
    Die manne het darem lekker gekuier lyk dit my. My een pel se vir my die wind was so erg, die golwe was 30 meter hoog. Gelukkig is die dam lag, anderste het ons 'n tsunami tipe ding gehad klink dit my
    Petri, ek twyfel oor die 30 meter ding...nietemin, Jozini is nie vir sissies nie, veral as die Suidewind pomp. As jy jouself in die "gorge" area bevind op 'n klein bootjie sal jy nie kan huis toe as daai wind opsteek. Mens kan nie die "swells" ry al trim jy ook hoe want hulle is te naby aan mekaar en hulle kom van alle kante af, party plekke in die dam voel en lyk dit soos 'n wasmasjien. 16 Voet Cat is omtrent minimum wat ek sou dink hier, vergeet 'n vlieghengel plat dek "skiff" soos wat ons mee al gesukkel het daar.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    Ek was op Sodwana. En daar was die wind verskriklik!

Die fabriek wat die Noord Ooste wind maak is net anderkant Mseleni..

Die was n suid ooster van epidermiese proporsies

Petri, ek twyfel oor die 30 meter ding

Riaan - as jy 'n paar double John Deeres in jou gat het, kan dit MAKLIK 30 meter swells wees..............

Petri, ek twyfel oor die 30 meter ding

Riaan - as jy 'n paar double John Deeres in jou gat het, kan dit MAKLIK 30 meter swells wees..............
    Dis juis daai JD's wat maak dat bote sink op Jozini en op ander plekke.

Dunno how old the info is..........Ive read somewhere we're on 250 bar (ZAR) per month now, exceeding our Contractual "quota" by quite a margin.

Water delivery officially began on 22 January 1998. The dam currently supplies about 30 m/s of water to South Africa, which pays Lesotho $35 million per year, plus a variable royalty based on calculated water usage benefits.
    Petri, out of interest here is an article in today's Daily Maverick about the LHWP, Gauteng and the drought.

http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/opini.../#.WAWr7tR97VQ

I see you didnt do too bad with the Trout, Can you give some pointers what tackle you were using? Headding down in Dec so need to stock up on gear. what would you suggest? Hopefully there will still be water by then.

Spruce, you prolly do'nt want to hear this......but fishing is so easy up there, and there are so many fish, you can really do/use anything and you'll catch plenty.
    Just stay near the "cages" in the dam, They move around, so search for them.
    We trolled with Rapalas and spinners.......red and silver Rapalas seem to work best, and copper spinners. Try get Mepps spinners, and REMEMBER to add a swivel on your line, otherwise it will wind up badly.
    Flies?? Anything resembling small baitfish. Hectic stuff - you'll see. When in the middle of the dam, use a sinking line and count down - search the depth where the vissies are.

I have'nt really tried for yellows, but there are PLENTY of them - I'd say target them over December.

Guys please remember to just take your (generous) quota of 10 fish per permit (per rod), and release the rest.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Petri ek ry volgende naweek Sani en dan wil ons daar by die Katse kamp vir een aand. Sal seker lyn natmaak daar. Waar ry mens die permit om te hengel.
    Hercules Pieterse

2.8 Powerstroke Tdi Kalahari 2007
    Accent GLS 2012
    Ex - i20 2011
    Ex - Discovery Tdi 1995
    Ex - Nissan Sani 1994
    082 389 2639

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast