Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Katse Dam Boat Fishing Trip - with Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Nog 'n plan.........reverse daai pas op.

As iets gebeur het jy ten minste 'n nice view voor jy onder in die valley beland
    With the boat......I can do 7 meters into the sea on a 70m wide beach
    FJC - Just Cruising

Will kill to go fish at Katse... Will deffo do it in the future
    2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE AT.
    2016 Campmaster Compact 100 trailer.

----------------

Al wat ek weet....as jy in daai valley beginne afrol sal jy moet bel vir extended leave, want dit gaan laaaank vat voor jy onner is

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Problempie is here, along the Rooi Streep.

Up is sort of still OK, down is where you make sure your Life Policy debit orders did go off.

And its a short stretch, I guess maybe 5/6 km or so........but feels like the road between Colesberg and Beaufort West, believe me.

Jokes aside Guys, a VERY VERY nice road to drive, but make VERY sure your brakes are more than 100%, and keep in second gear, then brake-brake bit for bit all the way down, or you'll cook them.

I still think its very doable with a VERY good braked trailer and a load of say +- 1000 kg behind you.........but take it very very slowly uphill, be prepared to go low range in 2 or 3 turns, and 10 times more careful when descending........even if you have to completely stop every 2/3 km to cool off (your brakes......you wont cool off that quickly)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mariusrautenbach View Post
    Will kill to go fish at Katse... Will deffo do it in the future
    Marius, if I were you?? Take a small fold-up duck, 3-4 metres, with a 8-10 HP outboard, stuff it in your waentjie, and off you go. Or even stuff everything in your 4x4.
    That's by far the best way to do it.
    Dont take a small HP motor........the altitude saps power big time. You have to be able to get on the pane at those heights - Katse is a huge dam, and you need to get to spots.
    An inflatable on a trailer is HARD work......you have to inflate/deflate the thing maybe 5/6 times, either way up or down the pass. That's why I sold ours and use a "rigid" boat now if we go there.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

And here I was thinking, Ou Petri kannie bestuur nie..... had thoughts of sending Samson with the Iveco and my BIL 8m Tomcat with the two 175 suzies to lesotho for a epic fishing trip.

Have second thoughts going down that pass with a canoe on the roof!!!!

Jislaaik. Going downhill with some black ice on the road in winter on that road!

Petri do you guys primarily slow troll or pick a spot and start casting rapalas and spinners?

Problempie is here, along the Rooi Streep.

Up is sort of still OK, down is where you make sure your Life Policy debit orders did go off.

And its a short stretch, I guess maybe 5/6 km or so........but feels like the road between Colesberg and Beaufort West, believe me.

Jokes aside Guys, a VERY VERY nice road to drive, but make VERY sure your brakes are more than 100%, and keep in second gear, then brake-brake bit for bit all the way down, or you'll cook them.

I still think its very doable with a VERY good braked trailer and a load of say +- 1000 kg behind you.........but take it very very slowly uphill, be prepared to go low range in 2 or 3 turns, and 10 times more careful when descending........even if you have to completely stop every 2/3 km to cool off (your brakes......you wont cool off that quickly)
    Easy in something light.......but a taxi driver in Pitseng told me he replaces pads every 10 days/20 trips
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

12. The Following User Says Thank You to duncang For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    Petri do you guys primarily slow troll or pick a spot and start casting rapalas and spinners?
    Slow troll primarily, carl. We do cast and retrieve in a nice spot too. Ideal would be a float tube and fly rod.....but if it leaks, you literally will freeze your nuts off

Set idling as low as you can, just enough to move forward in gear.

Lures?? Rapalas are OK...…...BUT the cheaper "Cull Em" stuff at Midas etc etc work MUCH better - they don't swim as "straight", but that erratic movement just seem to work much better. (hope you understand what I'm saying here)

But time and time again, copper spinners are the ones you need to take. I only use Mepps, especially those with the little red plastic piepietjie on it.
    Oh and replace the treble hooks with singles.....MUCH less foul hookups, and MUCH easier to take out of the fishy's mouth.

Use a good quality bearing swivel , then the lure about 500mm after that, otherwise your line will wind up chop chop.

I use 4kg line, I prefer yellow line like Stren or Double X, and with a 2 metre or so leader, green/grey. The yellow lines are just so much nicer to see behind the boat, or when casting to pick up a take.

I never use braid - I like the "shock absorber" flex that plain fishing line gives when a big mama takes the lure at Trawling speed. If you set your drag correctly, the hook sets itself nice and clean every time.

I cant WAIT to visit my beloved Katse again this year.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Anyone to Katse lately?? Id like to find out what the water levels are like there.

That time of Year again, and this Year at LEAST three visits

THANKS8)

.............almost almost ready to go to my beloved Katse again.

Leaving at 5 tomorrow morning

CANT WAIT

...........Julle moet soet wees, hard werk, en luister vir Oom Dirk.

Moenie laat ek Maandag stories hoor nie.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

.............almost almost ready to go to my beloved Katse again.

Leaving at 5 tomorrow morning

CANT WAIT

...........Julle moet soet wees, hard werk, en luister vir Oom Dirk.

Moenie laat ek Maandag stories hoor nie.
    En die naweek gaan van die koudsts naweke van die jaar wees. Pak 'n paar stokke uit en laai ekstra OBS.
    Last edited by Luka; 2019/06/20 at 04:53 PM.
    "If you spend most of your time in the library in the fiction section, your thoughts and decisions will be based on fiction"

Luka Geertsema

…...and, yet again. my beloved Katse didn't disappoint.

Not the best weather - VERY hot, temps only dropped minus zero last night and early this morning

Also VERY low water levels...…..we had to travel faaaaaaaaar with that little Quintrex to get to the right spots. We travelled at around 40km/h for around 35 minutes, non stop......so, around 20+ km away.

But produced fish = oh yeah.8)

All in the 1 - 1.3 kg range, not the lurkers we caught last time - but VERY VERY VERRRRRRRY nice

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Remind me what fish do you catch there.
    Zerubbabel 2 the 2008 4.8 turbo Patrol with some kit
    Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabel’s way! (Zech 4:7)

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post
    Remind me what fish do you catch there.
    Trout - rainbow and Mohale Minnow.

The Prado went like a bomb, that V6 didnt even feel the little Quintrex behind it over the pass.

I was particularly impressed with its engine braking downhill, and VERY VERY solid brakes - I've overheated brakes down passes in Lesotho more times than I've picked my nose, and this Prado's brakes are really VERY solid.

We were 5 people in it (the girls joined us), very comfy and spacious car.

Super nice car for what I need it for, and my next car will very very probably be a V6 Prado again.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Kyk nou net weer die Thread.........cant believe how the kids have grown, and how much greyer I got

Anyway........we're off to Ha Lejone again, leaving early tomorrow morning, returning Wednesday.

Taking the little Arrowhead behind the old Patrol, and a friend is also joing with a Splash Bass with his Hilux 2,8.

Keeping fingers crossed that we are all Covid Negative..........but I think we are. Daai gogga like nie brannas en Camel asems nie

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

........and another wonderful Katse Dam visit

28. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

The little Arrowhead with the (premix) 40 Yamaha went like a Boeing, even at those heights....... VERY glad I have a premix Yamaha on the transom on these remote waters

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

The National Kayak/Rowing Team was also there to practice (Motebong Lodge is there go - to place because of the altitude and climate), they put up a temporary plastic jetty there (sponsored by RMB) and the Head Coach invited us to also use it for our boats.
    Pure bliss.
    Katse was also at a WHOPPING (+-) 75% or thereabouts, last time we were there 2 years back it was around 30%.........so we could lanch from the Lodge.
    The fullest I've seen Katse in a very very long time. Beautiful. Even the Malaibamatso had water in it.

Our one boat is on the right in the Pic, with the 3 smaller boys with it........ FLTR Jake, Herman and my own, Sev. All 17. And yes, all MOER stout

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast