Road condition Report - Mpumalanga (Various)

Post Road condition Report - Mpumalanga (Various)

Hi All,

Just some feedback on road conditions from some roads i recently drove on around Mpumalanga.

R580 - (Trichardt - Secunda area)
    R546 - Secunda to Standerton
    R39 - Standerton to Morgenzon
    R35 - Morgenzon to Amersfoort
    N11 - Amersfoort to Ermelo
    N17 - Ermelo to Chrissiesmeer
    R33 - Chrissiesmeer to Carolina
    R38 - Carolina to Badplaas
    R541 - Badplaas to Machdadorp
    R33 - Belfast to Stofberg
    R33 - Stofberg to Groblersdal
    R25 - Groblersdal to Bronkhorstspruit.

I have ridden these roads 3 times now in the past 2 months, both in dry and wet conditions, the last time in a group of 11 bikes (a mix of adventure bikes, tourers and cruisers) and our average moving speed over the entire trip was around 100km/h.

In general, these roads are all in reasonably good to excellent condition, the exception being 2 sections on the R33 between Stofberg and Groblersdal between the following GPS points. These areas have little or no road surface left, they are literally just a massive series of large potholes, where there is road surface it is incredibly bumpy and there are almost no road signs warning of these dangers.

Section 1:
    S25 16' 07.1" E29 39' 44.4" to S25 15' 25.9" E29 39' 57.2"

Section 2:
    S25 11' 23.6" E29 34' 03.8" to S25 11' 03.9" E29 33' 19.0"

I didn't go through Befast directly as the last section leaving town is properly broken, I took a left just as you approach town from the N4 and then a rightabout 1.6km down and that takes you straight up to the R33 through the back of the Belfast suburbs. Not far out of Belfast on the R33 is a little "mountain pass", the road heading towards Stofberg is not bad but it is patched and quite narrow in places through this pass.

The R580 has a number of stop streets and robots but it is a good road, There is a little traffic on the R546 down to Standerton, with some trucks.

The first little way from Groblersdal to Bronkhorstspruit (about 25km) is through some built up areas and as such has a reasonably high volume of traffic, especially on a Sunday afternoon, after that it is all good, especially the sections that have recently been completely redone.
    Last edited by DouglasN; 2016/10/02 at 07:43 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DouglasN For This Useful Post: