A tale of two tyres (with apologies to Mr C Dickens) - Vetgat Toere visits Khutse

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default A tale of two tyres (with apologies to Mr C Dickens) - Vetgat Toere visits Khutse

In classic Vetgat Toere style, part one of our recent short trip to Khutse.

Having now successfully thrown in the towel hopefully the remaining parts will not be unduly delayed, unless that is I get sidetracked. Something that is highly likely out here on the sunny Wes Kus
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2004 Facelift Disco 2 - Raine - sold
    2006 Defender 110 csw - Jaeger

"Land Rovers don't get stuck, people do, so always look before you leap and if you're unsure, don't do it" Chris Horne

2019 Going back to Kgalagadi but this time without air suspension

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Keith Newnham For This Useful Post:

Default Re: A tale of two tyres (with apologies to Mr C Dickens) - Vetgat Toere visits Khutse

One must wonder sometimes if karma isn't trying to tell you something
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Default Re: A tale of two tyres (with apologies to Mr C Dickens) - Vetgat Toere visits Khutse

Keith,
    I am very sorry to read about your mishaps but glad that you did not let them spoil your trip. Thanks for the exciting first part and campfire photos full of atmosphere, eagerly awaiting the next part.

Adventures galore as usual
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Hi Keith
    Man you can write a story, really enjoyed it.
    Sorry about the items that were lost hope you get sorted from insurance.
    Looking forward to see you guys next year May there on the sunny West Coast.
    Leon

Toyota Prado 4.0
    Toyota RunX
    BushLapa 357

Thanks for the kind words Part two attached. Plus Youtube links of some of the repair work

https://youtu.be/-BlOyxDXNF0
    https://youtu.be/pSOADl8e9EI
    https://youtu.be/ZoXiQT4MY7k

@Jelo, not sure what Karma was trying to say and to who that day we're all good folk, honest

"Land Rovers don't get stuck, people do, so always look before you leap and if you're unsure, don't do it" Chris Horne

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Newnham For This Useful Post:

Keith with your description of loud bangs it does seem as if those were true blowouts.

When traveling through very rough terrain I sometimes found it very difficult to pick up the presence of a puncture early enough to prevent shredding of a tyre. This was solved with the fitment of tyre pressure monitors where their alarm will sound before any major damage is done by driving on a deflated tyre. That way the problem can often be solved by a simple plug instead of having to replace a shredded tyre. It certainly does not sound as if monitors would have helped in this instance.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

I really liked the way you wrote your TR. Thank you for sharing.
    Land Rover Puma 110 '2009'
    Terrafirma suspension
    African Outback add on's

Thanks for the TR, but....... where is the rest.?
    Everybody needs to believe in something.... I believe I will have another Beer!

Travel Blog: https://since1652.wordpress.com/

https://www.instagram.com/since1652travel/

So great to relive the adventure Thanks for making the effort to record the "goings-on"
    1999 Isuzu Trooper - The Truck
    2002 Landcruiser 105 - The Grey Nomad

The problem with living on the Wes Kus is that there are indeed many distractions

Yesterday it was a first encounter with a young seal , not sure who was more surprised, the dogs or the seal. Happy ending, they went their own ways and now this afternoon 20 plus flamingos staking a claim to the dogs beach walking territory. When Mark Barkan wrote the song "pretty flamingo" he must have seen these magnificent birds taking flight in the late afternoon sun. But I digress, day 3 attached. Busy loading some, short videos to given an idea of the roads we drove, internet speeds are not a strong point out here though.

Like most things it happens slowly .

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Newnham For This Useful Post:

This thread is better than any other soapy on TV, always looking forward to the next installment!
    Last edited by MrTolbos; 2016/11/10 at 05:00 PM.

Thanks Keith, loving it!

Btw, that Great Dane at Phudududu gave me the fright of my life. I came out the camping bathroom and saw something huge standing against the opposite wall. Having lost my night vision from the bathroom light, my brain just could not decide what it was as his shape was broken my his harlequin coloring. Only when he moved, did I click it was a dog, but I thought for a few seconds that ghosts now walked on all fours.

Charlotte, you go girl. Go large or go home. Respect
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Keith very enjoyable read as always.

A favour to ask if I may. Do you have a video of your push button tent and can you possibly post it here?

I'm intrigued
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Ghost dogs! thankfully a big softie Lekhubu943,

Getting into the swing of report writing, part 4 attached. For now a brain break, walk the dogs, light a fire, braai some meat and pop a cold one. Wind is blowing hard on the Wes Kus today, in fact it hasn't stopped for 3 days, have to find some shelter between a half completed garage and a partially completed outside room

@Francois, I'll post a video Sunday.
    @Mr Tolbos just be careful I'm not so sure the tents are designed to be moved when up, I think mine has taken a bit of strain probably needs some TLC soon. Would hate to have to explain to Mrs Tolbos if the thing collapsed while in transit

A couple of video links
    Doves at Molose waterhole https://youtu.be/zQJcVM3bbpQ
    Shepherding Guineafowl https://youtu.be/9rfUu1y6KHE
    Road between Molose 1and 2 https://youtu.be/L1HtikNi0os

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Newnham For This Useful Post:

Twyfelfontein Conservancy, Damaraland, Namibia

Excellent read! Thank you sir.
    Zane
    --------------------------------
    Gen 3 Pajero 3.8 V6 GLS SWB

Keith, thanks for this very nice report! I assume the Vetgat toere might be fully booked if open to the public !!!!

It's coming to an end, Sunday and a day of lions, bread and not a misbehaving tyre in sight, the best of times

A couple of short videos

Road to Gwia pan https://youtu.be/HUuzhR6keAI
    Shepherding Guinea fowl https://youtu.be/9rfUu1y6KHE
    Road between Molose 1and 2 https://youtu.be/L1HtikNi0os

@Rik, if you have a well developed sense of self preservation not to mention a huge sense of humour you would be more than welcome to join Vetgat Toere
    @Francois, SWAMBO made a short video of the tent yesterday, technology has however conspired to let me down. For reasons best know to Bill Gates and the good people at Apple my Windows 10 PC no longer sees my iPhone except through iTunes. Working on getting the video off the phone, will try and post in final report back tomorrow.

Again thanks for the kind words, hope the reports convey some of the sheer pleasure of being out in the bush, a magical place that never fails to deliver.

Nice one once again Keith! Eagerly awaiting the video
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

@Rik, if you have a well developed sense of self preservation not to mention a huge sense of humour you would be more than welcome to join Vetgat Toere

Haha Keith, be careful, I might match your selection criteria....... Next uear May I will be in CKGR, I can't wait!

Nevertheless, it was again very nice reading Keith!! Thanks for this last episode!

Rik

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast