Prado 150 tyres

Thread: Prado 150 tyres

Default Prado 150 tyres

What are the recommendations for larger tyres as well as the make?

I have 265/65/17 and would not want to go wider just higher. I also drive 30kkm per year on tar of which the maximum offroad would be 10%.

Default Re: Prado 150 tyres

Quote Originally Posted by QUASI View Post
    What are the recommendations for larger tyres as well as the make?

I have 265/65/17 and would not want to go wider just higher. I also drive 30kkm per year on tar of which the maximum offroad would be 10%.

Try 265 70 R17s should fit, Try Michelin LTX2 in LT spec, awesome tyre so far on my FJ.

Interesting, exactly what I was looking at. I rate Mitchelins as the best on road tyre and feel that BF and Coopers would be an overkill. Not mentioning the road noise.

Would going from 65 to 70 profile make a big difference on gear ratios and fuel consumption?

Interesting, exactly what I was looking at. I rate Mitchelins as the best on road tyre and feel that BF and Coopers would be an overkill. Not mentioning the road noise.

Would going from 65 to 70 profile make a big difference on gear ratios and fuel consumption?

It may hunt a little more on the highway.... radius diff is only 13mm, basically new 65 profile = worn 70 profile so it shouldn't be THAT noticeable!

The Michelins are also not as road biased as you may think, also in LT spec their toughness is right up there with the rest. Agreed on the fully fledged muds if its your daily driver as well, as I like my wet braking on tar to be good in such a heavy vehicle!

Great advise thanks. Would I be beter or worse off on the open road to maintain my cruising speed? I come from a diesel (2.2 Ford I might add) and I'm not so impressed with the 4.0s open road torque. I have to accelerate on the hills otherwise I fall down from 120 to say 100km/h.

Great advise thanks. Would I be beter or worse off on the open road to maintain my cruising speed? I come from a diesel (2.2 Ford I might add) and I'm not so impressed with the 4.0s open road torque. I have to accelerate on the hills otherwise I fall down from 120 to say 100km/h.
    I have the same gearbox and engine (slightly different final drive, Prado is shorter), and no issues with power or losing speed. Bigger tyre will lengthen overall ratio, thus less power to the wheels at same speed, so you will be worse off.

Sure, the petrol does not have the same low down torques as a diesel, but more than sufficient to cruise at constant speed anywhere on the highway and not drop to 100....ever. Stick it in cruise control and relax...

I run Maxxis Bighorns 265/70/R17 on mine - not noticed any difference in terms of driveability. Only issue when tyres were still new was fitting the spare cover back on

2014 Prado TX D4-D

How is the road noise, wet road grip and offroad experience on the Maxxis?

I,m running Coopers A/T 265 60/R18 been very happy with them so far. Road noise on these tires from the stock is hardly noticeable.

My main concern is reliability & strength something this brand gives and has an outstanding track record. Not knocking other brands but personal choice will always be BF Goodrich A/T or Coopers A/T

Last weekend I did "Old Mill Drift Pass" and "Rebellie Farm" which has ratings of 4-5, was super impressed with these tires on rock, they really handled well. (Not to mention how well the Prado performed, its just a superb machine)

Source "http://4x4africa.co.za/4x4-trails/free-state-4x4-trails/"

My man mobile "Bruce"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161001_110253.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	420427

Tire check this morning after the weekend. I always remove the tires completely after a good work out and check them thoroughly for any damage. Also good time to check for any chassis damage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161005_083743.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	420428

Happy tire shopping!
    Sean

Toyota Prado 4.0 VX (BRUCE)
    Conqueror Companion (Bush Bebbie)
    GSA 1200

Some Big Trips
    Moz http://4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=124931