N12 road condition

Default N12 road condition

We are leaving for Mokala Game Reserve on Friday. I am thinking of taking the N12 from Gauteng over Potch, Klerksdorp and Kimberley. Has anyone travelled that road recently? What is the condition of the road? Are there roadworks with stop and go? Feedback will be appreciated.

Default Re: N12 road condition

Traveled on that road December last year. It was in very good condition, no pot holes and almost no road works. There was a small detour before Klerksdorp, I think.

No idea if there are any road works now

Travelled that road late last year, and part of it in July on my way to a court case in Kuruman. The N12, generally is relatively good.

From Johannesburg to Potch, there are a couple of single-lane bits, and some areas where the trucks have worn out the left hand lane a little. But not too bad.

Road from just before to Potch through Klerskdorp is double-carriageway. There is (was in July, at least), a section where there were detours as a result of a sinkhole in Stilfontein. This is probably about 10km from Klerksdorp. Not sure if this is still there.

After Klerskdorp, the road has a relatively narrow verge until Bloemhof. From there, it's got a relatively wide-verge all the way to Kimberley.

In short, (based on my last drive along the N12):

No potholes.
    A few little bumps on the N12 between Jhb and Potch.
    Roadworks about 10 km before Klerksdorp.
    Narrow verge until Bloemhof.
    Wider verge until Kimberley.

Hope this helps.

Het onlangs Klerksdorp tot Wolmaranstad gery, pad is goed, behalwe vir mede padgebruikers.....

Ook Warrenton tot Kimberley lyk goed, ongelukkig was ek nie onlangs op die res van die roete nie, ompad by Stilfontein blykbaar agv 'n sinkgat, nie seker of dit al reggestel is nie.
    Ivanka - With running modifications by H.O. Memade engineering.

I went the Kimberley way this weekend and the roads are in good condition.

I would however recommend that you turn off the N12 between Potch and Klerksdorp and take the R502 to Orkney, Leeudoringstad an Makwassie. The R502 joins the N12 again after Wolmaransstad on the way to Bloemhof. A very quite road that is practically the same distance but you avoid the robots, 100 km/h section with speedtraps and detour in Klerksdorp completely.
    Johan Pienaar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinepix View Post
    I went the Kimberley way this weekend and the roads are in good condition.

I would however recommend that you turn off the N12 between Potch and Klerksdorp and take the R502 to Orkney, Leeudoringstad an Makwassie. The R502 joins the N12 again after Wolmaransstad on the way to Bloemhof. A very quite road that is practically the same distance but you avoid the robots, 100 km/h section with speedtraps and detour in Klerksdorp completely.
    Thank you all for the useful information.

The detour caused by the Stilfontein sinkhole is sorted, double carriageway all the way. Annoying 80km/hr speed limit just outside Potch for a few kms, but not a huge hindrance, except they do tend to trap there.

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4