Prado 120 Brakes??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Prado 120 Brakes??

Morning all, i have a question regarding the Prado 120 brakes, i have the 4l vx auto! My question is; i live in an estate and it is quite steep up and down to my estate, when we come down to go wherever i have to brake most of the time because it does not gear down to a low enough gear to brake with the engine! and supa quick told me that they can see the brakes get quite hot! Would you recomend i go down in 3rd/4th and switch to d4 when i have descended will it help? Exept for the wear on the brakes is there other negatives of the brakes running to hot. My wife uses the car and goes up and down at least 5 times a day.Your input would be much appreciated.

Regards
    Vossie

Default Re: Prado 120 Brakes??

Is there a chance this is just salesman talk?

No harm in gearing down and engine braking though. I have the same scenario at home and I just use the brake to stick to the 20kph speed limit in our estate.

Go down faster!!

Quote Originally Posted by jarnojvv View Post
    Is there a chance this is just salesman talk?

No harm in gearing down and engine braking though. I have the same scenario at home and I just use the brake to stick to the 20kph speed limit in our estate.
    Well it can be but the brakes was replaced only 3000 km ago was just wandering if there was merit in his observation and if anyone had experienced similar.

Quote Originally Posted by vossie1 View Post
    Well it can be but the brakes was replaced only 3000 km ago was just wandering if there was merit in his observation and if anyone had experienced similar.
    Sure, just wondering what he observed justifying the comment. Also, the brakes tend to last not that long, Im on end of 3rd set at 55k km on mine. Heavy car, auto gearbox etc...