300tdi Turbo recon/upgrade

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 300tdi Turbo recon/upgrade

Hi guys.

Again some advice needed. I recently got my beloved 300tdi back from a year of rebuilds and fixing her up... As part of some preventative maintenance i would like to recon the turbo.
    I was wondering if any of you here could assist in perhaps showing me in the right direction. I read an post of someone on here that upgraded their turbo (not a VNT - just bigger).

Also what damage to my wallet can i expect?

At the moment she is still o.k but whistles quite a bit above 2200rmp...

Comments and advice appreciated.
    Turksvy
    --------------------------
    "Stoffel" 2007 Landrover Discovery 3 TDV6 SE (with some add-ons)
    "Daisy" 1969 Landrover Series 2A 2.6L
    "Snaartjie" 1998 Landrover Discovery 1 300tdi (Sold unfortunately)

Default Re: 300tdi Turbo recon/upgrade

Turky

I took my manifold and turbo sill all together to chris at stallion turbo in pretoria north

His number seems to escape me for now

Did it a couple of years ago - easy 100 000 kilo's allready

It doesnt make it into a rocket but better - still very happy and no issues

I paid about 4 something and got around a two day turnaround

Others have used him on this forum and seem happy as well

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RossJ For This Useful Post:

I happened to phone Stalion today about an upgraded recon to my turbo.

R 4800, that's if you remove and refit. Also he suggests a dyno after the turbo is fitted.

Pieter, very helpful chap. 0123798430/1.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fontuin For This Useful Post:

I have several other people that have happily used Stallion.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fontuin View Post
    I happened to phone Stalion today about an upgraded recon to my turbo.

R 4800, that's if you remove and refit. Also he suggests a dyno after the turbo is fitted.

Pieter, very helpful chap. 0123798430/1.
    Hey Fontuin.

What does the "Upgraded recon" entail?

And unrelated question, isn't the Aloe Creek where i can come flyfish for scalies?
    Turksvy

Quote Originally Posted by Turksvy View Post
    Hey Fontuin.

What does the "Upgraded recon" entail?

And unrelated question, isn't the Aloe Creek where i can come flyfish for scalies?
    They recondition the turbo and while they're at it they modify the turbo in some way, to give a better range of torque. It is known as a hybrid, I think. Pieter quoted an improvement of up to 35%.

As I understand it, a hybrid turbo gives 80% of the benefits of a VNT turbo but at 1/4 of the price. Also no more complicated than the standard turbo. Until I spoke to Pieter I was lead to believe that Stalion do a VNT for the 300 Tdi, but it turns out they don't, there are people who do a full VNT but last I looked they were around R20k.

Someone will be along soon to explain and confirm I'm sure?

Yes, you are thinking of the right place, not Scaly though. Scaly are Natal Yellowfish.

At my place you can catch Largescale Yellowfish and Smallscale Yellowfish. Different than the Largemouth and Smallmouth Yellows of the Vaal.

I wouldn't bother now though, the river has hardly any water in it, wait for the first thunder showers. Probably around mid October.
    Last edited by Fontuin; 2016/09/23 at 09:35 AM.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

They recondition the turbo and while they're at it they modify the turbo in some way, to give a better range of torque. It is known as a hybrid, I think. Pieter quoted an improvement of up to 35%.

As I understand it, a hybrid turbo gives 80% of the benefits of a VNT turbo but at 1/4 of the price. Also no more complicated than the standard turbo. Until I spoke to Pieter I was lead to believe that Stalion do a VNT for the 300 Tdi, but it turns out they don't, there are people who do a full VNT but last I looked they were around R20k.

yes they alter the impeller and compressor blades as far as I know

VNT is done by Brian Cotton @ Landyonline
    Percivamus

Yes, you are thinking of the right place, not Scaly though. Scaly are Natal Yellowfish.

At my place you can catch Largescale Yellowfish and Smallscale Yellowfish. Different than the Largemouth and Smallmouth Yellows of the Vaal.

I wouldn't bother now though, the river has hardly any water in it, wait for the first thunder showers. Probably around mid October.
    Aah, I've read about the hybrid turbos... In terms of strain on the engine - is it safe to fit these hybrid (stronger) turbos? Don't really want to fit a turbo that will ultimately cause more problems...

and Awesome on the fishing... Think i will be visiting when the water levels are back...
    Turksvy

Aah, I've read about the hybrid turbos... In terms of strain on the engine - is it safe to fit these hybrid (stronger) turbos? Don't really want to fit a turbo that will ultimately cause more problems...

some UK guys have pushed the 300TDi out to 150kW with no issues as long as the engine is inherently in good condition

in this case, the turbo spins up earlier and slightly harder, so your torque peak drops tas well as the peak revs drop slightly

I'd be more worried that the gearbox can handle the extra torque. Since both the R380 and the Z22HP4 can handle well over 350Nm I think you're OK.
    Percivamus

Sadly the Stallion hybrid turbo I had did not last 10k kms and it was shot, but then it could have been the oil supply from the Remtec short block that was not up to spec as that did not last either...................

As simple as a 300Tdi seems to be, so few people can rebuild them successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    some UK guys have pushed the 300TDi out to 150kW with no issues as long as the engine is inherently in good condition

in this case, the turbo spins up earlier and slightly harder, so your torque peak drops tas well as the peak revs drop slightly

I'd be more worried that the gearbox can handle the extra torque. Since both the R380 and the Z22HP4 can handle well over 350Nm I think you're OK.

DAHM YOU GUYS!! haha Now i want to spend my well earned salary on a turbo that I guess I actually do not really need right now( BUT WANT SO DEARLY) haha

Thanks for all the information guys...

Last Question - i see the ceramic coating is also recommended along with the hybrid turbo. Is it o.k to drive her with the "new" turbo for a month before i do the ceramic coating - funds will only be available next month
    Turksvy

Last Question - i see the ceramic coating is also recommended along with the hybrid turbo. Is it o.k to drive her with the "new" turbo for a month before i do the ceramic coating - funds will only be available next month
    of course

the ceramic coating is an aid to heat removal and hence turbo longevity, it isn't mandatory

As Fanie mentions, the 300TDi is actually no more difficult to rebuild than any old school mechanic injection diesel engine.

If you can find a guy that knows the Isuzu 2.8 well, he could rebuild a 300TDi.
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    of course

the ceramic coating is an aid to heat removal and hence turbo longevity, it isn't mandatory

As Fanie mentions, the 300TDi is actually no more difficult to rebuild than any old school mechanic injection diesel engine.

If you can find a guy that knows the Isuzu 2.8 well, he could rebuild a 300TDi.
    Aah Awesome... Think i'm gonna phone the Stallion Turbo guys on monday and ask my indie to just assist in removing the turbo. (good to have a friend that also happens to be a landy mechanic )

Thank you for the info again guys! Will let you know when i got that turbo conversion done...
    Turksvy

Turky

I have stated this before and do so again

The biggest single upgrade you can do - excluding the 20 k turbo - is the bigger intercooler from Baben on this forum

It transforms the vehicle completely - more than the new turbo from stallion will ever do

I dont believe it does any extra cooling - it obviously might
    But it certainly changes the constraint or friction or whatever - when compared to the std intercooler - on the ability for the turbo to get that air into the intake manifold pronto

There was nothing wrong with my old turbo . I just had an itch to scratch

18. The Following User Says Thank You to RossJ For This Useful Post:

Hi guys.

Again some advice needed. I recently got my beloved 300tdi back from a year of rebuilds and fixing her up... As part of some preventative maintenance i would like to recon the turbo.
    I was wondering if any of you here could assist in perhaps showing me in the right direction. I read an post of someone on here that upgraded their turbo (not a VNT - just bigger).

Hi turksvy

read my thread "my just about unstoppable Disco1"

http://landyonline.co.za/landyforum/...1f11a82089530c

You will find all your answers in there!
    Last edited by hgbosch; 2016/09/24 at 10:28 PM.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Quote Originally Posted by RossJ View Post
    Turky

I have stated this before and do so again

The biggest single upgrade you can do - excluding the 20 k turbo - is the bigger intercooler from Baben on this forum

It transforms the vehicle completely - more than the new turbo from stallion will ever do

I dont believe it does any extra cooling - it obviously might
    But it certainly changes the constraint or friction or whatever - when compared to the std intercooler - on the ability for the turbo to get that air into the intake manifold pronto

There was nothing wrong with my old turbo . I just had an itch to scratch
    +1

RossJ got my old Allisport intercooler when I went for an even bigger one to complement the VNT setup on my 300di
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Quote Originally Posted by hgbosch View Post
    Hi turksvy

read my thread "my just about unstoppable Disco1"

http://landyonline.co.za/landyforum/...1f11a82089530c

You will find all your answers in there!

Thanks! Appreciate it!
    Turksvy

Just a bit of an update.

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I ended up doing the turbo upgrade through Stallion Turbos. They took a little longer due to some miscommunication but their work is solid. I ended up fitting a new radiator along with the upgraded turbo and the difference is phenominal!! Took the old lady to Kosi bay and Bhanga Nek and she performed beautifully. The turbo really makes a massive difference for that extra bit of power needed in soft sand at lower RPMs.

At Kosi she did burst the oil cooling pipe (the one with the crimped piece of steel) but theres a guy in Manguzi (Andre) who's shop quickly sorted me out.

All in all = turbo was definitely my money's worth!
    Turksvy

Hi guys.

Hi Turksvy

read my thread as below on the landyonline forum. You will find all the info there you need. Your contact at Stallion turbo is Chris or Peter.

http://landyonline.co.za/landyforum/...=2917&start=40

I drove my hybrid turbo for over 80'000km and then sold it to beetle who still got it in his 300Tdi. I then upgraded to the Turbo Technics VNT turbo from the UK, as Landyonline's VNT was not ready at that time.

Hybrid turbo works well. Once you fitted it come and visit me. I will help you to set it up properly.
    George Bosch

Distributor for:

Quote Originally Posted by hgbosch View Post
    Hi Turksvy

read my thread as below on the landyonline forum. You will find all the info there you need. Your contact at Stallion turbo is Chris or Peter.

http://landyonline.co.za/landyforum/...=2917&start=40

I drove my hybrid turbo for over 80'000km and then sold it to beetle who still got it in his 300Tdi. I then upgraded to the Turbo Technics VNT turbo from the UK, as Landyonline's VNT was not ready at that time.

Hybrid turbo works well. Once you fitted it come and visit me. I will help you to set it up properly.
    Hi HGBosch

haha, i think you might have missed the update. She already has the Stallion upgraded turbo fitted and already did a trip to Bhanga nek and back. It made a massive difference! Thanks for all the info you gave!
    Turksvy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast