2008 Suzuki GV 2.4 Auto Engine Rebuild

Unhappy 2008 Suzuki GV 2.4 Auto Engine Rebuild

I got the bad news today that I'm gonna need to rebuild my GV engine after it broke down on me 150km from home on the weekend.

According to Suzuki Kenilworth "The complete engine block will need replacement as well as the valve stem seals, thermostat and the service parts will also need to be replaced."

The price is steep. Very Very Very steep... and prob isn't an option.

So I'm in desperate need of advice for either:

1. Rebuilding the above at a Non Dealer price. I'm based in Cape Town, and would appreciate any suggestions.
    2. Scrapping it. I've never done this before, and don't know how much money you can realistically get from it?
    3. Selling it in its current state?

The car was just over 200,000km when it broke. It has served me incredibly well, been serviced regularly and has never left me out in the cold before this weekend. I've seriously loved this car, so it would be sad to see it scrapped!

Default Re: 2008 Suzuki GV 2.4 Auto Engine Rebuild

You need to get an exact explanation of why they want to replace the engine block. If the block is cracked then call Suzuki SA or have Kenilworth do it. Call them yourself with your VIN number as well

Read here:
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...Vitara+cracked
    2008 Suzuki Jimny - Mine / 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2l V6 Auto - Hers

Why did it break down? You don't need to replace the block, can be resleeved and same Pistons used. Valve stem seals are not expensive. An engineering shop will charge around 1500 to overhaul the head. Alternatively do a google search for a replacement second hand engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Samaya View Post
    You need to get an exact explanation of why they want to replace the engine block. If the block is cracked then call Suzuki SA or have Kenilworth do it. Call them yourself with your VIN number as well

Read here:
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...Vitara+cracked

Thanks for the link. There reason was "The cylinder got a porous hole on the side of the engine."... which sounds a bit like a crack to me...?

Quote Originally Posted by dylanharbour View Post
    Thanks for the link. There reason was "The cylinder got a porous hole on the side of the engine."... which sounds a bit like a crack to me...?
    Yep ...take it up with Suzuki SA.... good luck!

Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres

Quote Originally Posted by daveysmith View Post
    Yep ...take it up with Suzuki SA.... good luck!
    Thanks! Will keep y'all updated!

I've read a lot of threads about the 'porous' block and I see Suzuki have helped a lot of people because of that. I would defintely follow it up with them and try get a goodwill claim or something! They excellent vehicles, and I think the block problem was sorted out in 2010/2011. Good luck

Suzuki South Africa doesn't seem to be interested in helping out.

According to the dealer, they did contact Suzuki SA and were told that they can't help due to the age and the mileage.

I guess I could either fight them for it (which may or may not work?), find another mechanic to do the job cheaper or cut my losses and sell the vehicle.

Right now, I'm leaning towards just selling it voetstoets if I can find the right buyer, or service it and get another 100,000km out of it.

R80k for a GV anyone? 2.4 Auto with leather seats... mmmm... you know you want to?

Alternatively, I'm still on the hunt for another mechanic that can quote me on the job. The biggest expense seems to be labour, which I'd need to knock down considerably.

I'm afraid you won't get anything near R80k voetstoots - not even half of that...

Would you buy an engineless car with 200k km on the clock for R80k if you can get this for R90k?
    https://www.olx.co.za/ad/2009-suzuki...tml#3b19127afe

Quote Originally Posted by dylanharbour View Post
    Suzuki South Africa doesn't seem to be interested in helping out.

According to the dealer, they did contact Suzuki SA and were told that they can't help due to the age and the mileage.

I guess I could either fight them for it (which may or may not work?), find another mechanic to do the job cheaper or cut my losses and sell the vehicle.

Right now, I'm leaning towards just selling it voetstoets if I can find the right buyer, or service it and get another 100,000km out of it.

R80k for a GV anyone? 2.4 Auto with leather seats... mmmm... you know you want to?

Alternatively, I'm still on the hunt for another mechanic that can quote me on the job. The biggest expense seems to be labour, which I'd need to knock down considerably.
    That's rubbish I'm sorry - I wouldn't accept it :

This was 3 months ago at Suzuki Northcliff- 08 GV with 150 000 km on the clock - I would say they have set a precedent here -

So to update developments with my wifes 08 GV 2.4.

Picked the car up at Suzuki Northcliff eventually on Saturday. So far driven over 200km already and car running like dream. Had to have the clutch redone at the same time at an additional cost of R2000, but a big thumbs up to Suzuki for sorting the cracked block issue out for me as a goodwill gesture.

Really not sure how many manufacturers would stand by their brand this way. New block, pistons, crank shaft the works. Total cost to me would have been around R50 to R60k.
    At 150000 kms, she is now good for another 150000kms.

Plan to park my Audi for the next two weeks and use the GV as my daily for the Sandton traffic run, and a trip out to Potch for my sons hockey tour, just to make sure, but right now I am really chuffed.

Well done Suzuki!

I think it's a little unrealistic to expect Suzuki to repair/replace an engine that is 8 years old and has done 200k kms. The warranty is 100k km or 3 years.
    The fault usually appeared on vehicles that had done 90-105k km.
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2019 Suzuki Jimny - 235/75R15 M/T's, lifted
    EX 2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    EX 1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts

Normally, I'd prob agree with you @saxj. However, there must have been some serious design flaws for them to still be assisting some drivers, and the northcliff one isn't that far off from my situation. The have set a precedent there.

This car has been in one of their dealerships every 10.000km so I would of expected them to tell me earlier about "porous holes" which don't appear overnight.

The last time was 4 months ago for a major service and this never came up.

This is not a wear and tear item - it is a manfacturing fault, and like what is happening with the LR Discovery 3/4 crankshaft problem, it is a major problem - especially if not dealt with appropriately by the parent company.

For owners, even if it has not happened to you, it means you pretty much end up with an unsellable vehicle - who would buy one with a ticking time bomb attached ? And who is going to believe it is just limited to a select 20 vehicles
    Last edited by daveysmith; 2016/10/05 at 11:10 AM.

I agree.

in any case 200 000km on a modern vehicle would not be a normal bench mark for a complete engine overhaul. If it failed because of normal wear and tear or lack of maintenance that is one thing.

But the engine block failure is a world wide known problem, which has been kept very quiet by Suzuki. Manufacturers are recalling cars for far less serious reasons these days, i really find it shocking that they have gotten away with it to this extent already.

It has been established there is an inherent problem on the heads, they have set a precedent by fixing a few already. I would try a few more times failing that seek legal opinion, personally i would not accept it, push a little harder bud, i think you might be surprised considering others have already been resolved this way.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0CRD
    2011 Jeep Cherokee
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0CRD-50mm EFS Lift, GDE Tune
    2009 Jeep Rubicon-50mm Coil Lift, Branches, Free Flow, K&N, MT`s
    2013 Suzuki Vitara-40mm lift
    2012 Suzuki Jimny-Fully Kitted.
    2007 Jeep Cherokee-Std

I would also do some research on the international suzuki forums, put some feelers out as to what has been done overseas. If you could prove that such "older cars" are being sorted out perhaps it would force their hand.

What's the chances it's just the local stealers simply not wanting to put their time and labour on the line, which shouldn't be the case. In my conversation with Suzuki here in slaapstad when i was doing some digging they said Suzuki HQ will supply the parts and the customer is normally left to pay for the labour bill or at least a portion of that.

Write to the ombudsman - refer to the known problem and give them all the details. They will handle the legal side and it won't cost you a cent. Worth a shot? www.miosa.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by daveysmith View Post
    That's rubbish I'm sorry - I wouldn't accept it :

This was 3 months ago at Suzuki Northcliff- 08 GV with 150 000 km on the clock - I would say they have set a precedent here -
    I remember this situation, I think this person was the 2nd or 3rd person to get a vehicle fixed under similar circumstances. When I asked the OP of that particular thread (can't remember if it is this thread or one of the others) but he didn't want to divulge any info on the fix. A pity - could really help the others with this problem.
    Sent from my iPhone