Grand Vitara 2.4 manual, Poor fuel concumption - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Grand Vitara 2.4 manual, Poor fuel concumption

Quote Originally Posted by GKE View Post
    Yeah driving style has alot to do with it. My manual gv does 10.5L/100 in town and 9.0 L/100 on highways. This is over 85k km average.
    My wife's GV Auto on 3600km......filled last night.....100% city driving - 328km on 53l.....= 6.1km/l or 16.4l/100km

But it drives like a dream!
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    My wife's GV Auto on 3600km......filled last night.....100% city driving - 328km on 53l.....= 6.1km/l or 16.4l/100km

But it drives like a dream!
    Ouch! But I am willing to believe that it was enjoyable!

As I've mentioned earlier - I have not even managed to drop below 7 km/l in the Ponta do Ouro sand, where about 50% of the tank was spent in low range...

Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiPiet View Post
    Ouch! But I am willing to believe that it was enjoyable!

As I've mentioned earlier - I have not even managed to drop below 7 km/l in the Ponta do Ouro sand, where about 50% of the tank was spent in low range...
    I think the short city-runs contributed to the poor figures. We do 10km in the morning and 10km in the afternoon. Within the 10km each, we switch off once to drop my daughter off at school. 1 tank lasts 3 weeks. But ja, only 328km driving in 3 weeks
    Sent from my iPhone

A stock standard, unmodified, unlifted 3.2V6 gives the same fuel consumption as the 2.4 Auto, even better in some cases because it has a 5th gear ratio and the 2.4 Auto is 4-speed only.

My lifted, modified, weighted-down and altogether altered V6; gives me 4.5km/l in town hard driving, 6km/l in town driving like a granny, 6.5km/l at 120km/h on the freeway with the roof rack and packing system full-up and 6.2km/l while towing at 100-120km/h on the N1 between Pretoria and Pietersburg.

I get 9km/l downhill only, while coasting at 100km/h like coming down the Van Reenens pass. True story.

On those mirror-like, flat tar roads in Botswana with a loaded roof rack and driving in 5th at 100km/h I have reached 9-10km/l over hundreds of kilometers. Then I am REALLY trying to avoid the loud pedal. Even over taking a skoro-skoro doing 30km/h takes carefull planning from miles away to get the mix of speed and momentum right.

Ah heck. I simply forget about the readings and enjoy the power
    Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6 Auto
    Ironman Suspension kit
    Suzuki Snorkel
    WECA off road bumper
    Frontrunner roof rack

Venter custom 4x4 trailer

Default Re: Grand Vitara 2.4 manual, Poor fuel consumption

I get the same consumption in town, but like your last paragraph says, ah heck! Enjoy!
    Sent from my iPhone

I have a stock V6. Don't do too much town driving but it's around 6.5-7.5 km/l. Open road anything between 7.5 and 9.5 km/l depending on driving style. I got 11.5 km/l once driving from JHB to PTA but that was really driving like a granny, pick up some speed on the downhills, shift to 4 for up hills, speed around 95km/h

On tar (even mixed with some offroad stuff) my 2.4 manual gives 10l per 100km no matter what- city, 110kph- 150kph, unless there's a headwind. I don't generally drive in heavy traffic but it sure is hilly here (Kloof gorge etc).
    I'll be lifting and chipping it soon, with 16 or 17" rims to follow when I have bucks, so will be interested to see the difference.
    2010 Grand Vitara 2.4 man, Stofpad radiator & belly plates & lift kit, 245/60R17 Firestone Destinations, Tucson rims

Quote Originally Posted by adiebear View Post
    On tar (even mixed with some offroad stuff) my 2.4 manual gives 10l per 100km no matter what- city, 110kph- 150kph, unless there's a headwind. I don't generally drive in heavy traffic but it sure is hilly here (Kloof gorge etc).
    I'll be lifting and chipping it soon, with 16 or 17" rims to follow when I have bucks, so will be interested to see the difference.
    Please let me know what setup you going for with the chip and how it influences power and/or consumption

2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 M, 40mm stofpad lift & undies (hers, mine over weekends)
    2008 Honda Civic Type-R (mine during week)

I just got 7.3km per L on my last tank. One of the worst readings I've gotten so far. But for a few days I've been traveling on average 10km/hr.

My previous tank was 10km per L open road.

My fuel economy gauge was a full liter off.

Weird but ever since fitting larger tyres, my fuel reading out of the trip computer has been 100% accurate. The again, perhaps the odometer is out by 5% due to fitting larger diameter tyres maybe? So when I take a mileage reading and divide this with liters of fuel burned, I should add or subtract 5%.
    Ironman Suspension kit
    Suzuki Snorkel
    WECA off road bumper
    Frontrunner roof rack

Quote Originally Posted by Kierie View Post
    Weird but ever since fitting larger tyres, my fuel reading out of the trip computer has been 100% accurate. The again, perhaps the odometer is out by 5% due to fitting larger diameter tyres maybe? So when I take a mileage reading and divide this with liters of fuel burned, I should add or subtract 5%.
    Shouldn't the bigger tyres become more accurate, as the stock 17's were 'under' slightly?
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    Shouldn't the bigger tyres become more accurate, as the stock 17's were 'under' slightly?
    I had stock 18's and yes, the larger 245/70/16 AT tyres corrected the speedo to close to the true speed (GPS). The 31" Kumho muddies makes the speedo read a few km/h faster than true speed.
    With 225/60/18 Speedo 120km/h True speed 114km/h
    With 245/70/16 Speedo 120km/h True speed 120km/h
    With 245/75/16 Speedo 120km/h True speed 122km/h

How is the distances displayed on the trip meter measured, though?

How is distance driven captured by the trip computer? Surely it cannot simply be merely distance over time from the speedometer reading, there must be wheel speed sensors, etc involved.

So if you mess around with tyre sizes a larger diameter wheel will slow down (wheel rotational speed) and therefore it will give a lower Km read out between measured stops. Ive noticed that the GPS trip meter consistently display higher mileages than the GV onboard computer. Can the variation be linked to tyre rolling circumference?

Anyone with ideas on this?
    Ironman Suspension kit
    Suzuki Snorkel
    WECA off road bumper
    Frontrunner roof rack

Quote Originally Posted by HomeBrewer View Post
    I just got 7.3km per L on my last tank. One of the worst readings I've gotten so far. But for a few days I've been traveling on average 10km/hr.

My previous tank was 10km per L open road.

My fuel economy gauge was a full liter off.
    This has been discussed previously as well - the economy gauge on a stock GV is 0.8 - 1.0 km/l optimistic. Sly Suzuki programmers...

Quote Originally Posted by Kierie View Post
    I had stock 18's and yes, the larger 245/70/16 AT tyres corrected the speedo to close to the true speed (GPS). The 31" Kumho muddies makes the speedo read a few km/h faster than true speed.

How is distance driven captured by the trip computer? Surely it cannot simply be merely distance over time from the speedometer reading, there must be wheel speed sensors, etc involved.

So if you mess around with tyre sizes a larger diameter wheel will slow down (wheel rotational speed) and therefore it will give a lower Km read out between measured stops. Ive noticed that the GPS trip meter consistently display higher mileages than the GV onboard computer. Can the variation be linked to tyre rolling circumference?

Kierie, I cannot say for sure, but I would be VERY surprised if Suzuki did NOT use the same sensor for speed and distance. This means that your distance and speed would likely be equally affected by tire circumference.

Most cars (even more modern cars) still have a cable linked to the gearbox output shaft with a magnet on the speedo-cluster-side-tip to induce electromagnetic pulses which is then used to measure instantaneous speed and distance.

Originally Posted by Kierie I had stock 18's and yes, the larger 245/70/16 AT tyres corrected the speedo to close to the true speed (GPS). The 31" Kumho muddies makes the speedo read a few km/h faster than true speed.

Hi Kierie

The speedo signal is from a ABS control unit and they using one of the wheel speed signal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2