Discovery 1 300tdi Spares wanted

Default 300tdi Spares wanted

Hi guys...

Again, not sure who can remember my posts a few months back on my "Snaartjie" 300tdi discovery 1 with all the engine, dieselpump etc problems...

Good news is that after what felt like an eternity (about 13 months) she lives again. My indie ended up finding a bunch of other issues as we went along and I decided not to strip her for parts but keep on going to fix her up. She now brags with a overhauled engine, new clutch, new dieselpump, new clutch fork, new lift pump, new gaskets, seals and belts all round. And yesterday i took her for a drive around the block (with a massive smile on my face)

She does however now require a few cosmetics still to restore her fully.

I was wondering if anyone here is perhaps stripping a disco 1 as I require the following:

1. The dash panel where the radio is inserted
    2. Rear left light cover (mine is cracked)
    3. The dash cover that comes over the spedometer

Kind Regards
    Turksvy
    Turksvy
    --------------------------
    "Stoffel" 2007 Landrover Discovery 3 TDV6 SE (with some add-ons)
    "Daisy" 1969 Landrover Series 2A 2.6L
    "Snaartjie" 1998 Landrover Discovery 1 300tdi (Sold unfortunately)

Default Re: 300tdi Spares wanted

Pm landylovver. He has a lot of spares and he is in springs. Didnt see where you are in the world. I will pm you his nr
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 1 V8i
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

Hi Turksvy

If you don't mind would like to find out how much the repairs to your disco cost? I'm looking at buying either the Disco or Defender 300tdi. Sorry for not helping you with the spares you are looking for....

Regards
    Flip

Quote Originally Posted by Turksvy View Post
    Hi guys...

Again, not sure who can remember my posts a few months back on my "Snaartjie" 300tdi discovery 1 with all the engine, dieselpump etc problems...

Good news is that after what felt like an eternity (about 13 months) she lives again. My indie ended up finding a bunch of other issues as we went along and I decided not to strip her for parts but keep on going to fix her up. She now brags with a overhauled engine, new clutch, new dieselpump, new clutch fork, new lift pump, new gaskets, seals and belts all round. And yesterday i took her for a drive around the block (with a massive smile on my face)

She does however now require a few cosmetics still to restore her fully.

I was wondering if anyone here is perhaps stripping a disco 1 as I require the following:

1. The dash panel where the radio is inserted
    2. Rear left light cover (mine is cracked)
    3. The dash cover that comes over the spedometer

Kind Regards
    Turksvy
    Hi

take a stroll to British4x4. Last time I checked, they had 3 center panels. the other bits you should also find there. Your contact is Allan. Tell him George Bosch referred you.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Quote Originally Posted by Flip01 View Post
    Hi Turksvy

If you don't mind would like to find out how much the repairs to your disco cost? I'm looking at buying either the Disco or Defender 300tdi. Sorry for not helping you with the spares you are looking for....

Regards
    Flip
    Hi Flip...

My problems is a sad sad tale... I bought the disco when she had about 240k on the clock, and drove her for about 5 months before taking her to Kosi bay. There I enjoyed every moment and she handled above my expectations in the sandy trails. Fuel consumption with a offroad trailer loaded to the brim and 5 people was about 9.6km/l for the trip... On the way back close to Ermelo I heard a clunking noise, stopped to see that the aircon belt was perished so i cut off the loose ends. Because of this the aircon belt cound move a bit on the pulley and subsequently cut through a water pipe right against the engine block. Ended up blowing my engine just outside Witbank.

Now here comes the sad part. I sent her to an Indie which i will not name who then proceded to do the rebuild but instead of putting the crank pulley in on the keyway on the crank he smacked it in with a rubber hammer. 2 months and R16500 later I had to open up the engine again because of that crank pulley problem.

I ended up taking the landrover to an Indie in Centurion where he started fixing her up bit by bit. Turns out the old crank was now so badly damaged that I had to buy new crank, and obviously new bearings.
    As we progressed with the fix up I ended up finding a bunch of other issues too. Clutch was on its way out, clutch fork was cracked, aircon pump bearing ceased, sprocket was "moeg"... the list continued.

In die end it cost me about R20 000 for the second rebuild and fixing everything else up. People probably think i'm bat##### crazy for not just selling but that ol' disco really did do her job as intended and wouldn't sommer trade her.
    My advise, just check the basics before buying but all in all a wonderful car... Hope mine is now gonna give me another 270000 km's
    Turksvy

And thanks guys. Found three of the four items... Still missing the cluster cover.
    Turksvy

The 300TDI is a relatively cheap engine to overhaul and very reliable. If done properly and serviced regularly you will get plenty and more miles out of her. Problem is, and I do not know why, the disco has very low retail value compared to same model Defender. I advertised my 1996 model for about two months on OLX with zero interest, now thinking of breaking it up and selling as spares.
    Why or what made you change your mind to rebuild and not sell off parts? I know one always get stuck with some parts

Quote Originally Posted by KoosDup View Post
    The 300TDI is a relatively cheap engine to overhaul and very reliable. If done properly and serviced regularly you will get plenty and more miles out of her. Problem is, and I do not know why, the disco has very low retail value compared to same model Defender. I advertised my 1996 model for about two months on OLX with zero interest, now thinking of breaking it up and selling as spares.
    Why or what made you change your mind to rebuild and not sell off parts? I know one always get stuck with some parts
    For me it was two fold. Firstly, I only started working this year (graduated last year) so didn't have R40k for a new car so decided to fix her up bit by bit. Secondly i am a sucker for sentimental value and this disco of mine has plenty.
    Turksvy

Turky

Go to british and see what they have
    I would be surprised if you cant get what u want.

Phoning them and expecting any reply is in my experience not possible

They are open sat mornings and they will let you roam the breaker yard and you then make arrangements to get the actual part

Nice peoples actually

Thumbs up Re: 300tdi Spares wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Turksvy View Post
    Hi Flip...

My problems is a sad sad tale... I bought the disco when she had about 240k on the clock, and drove her for about 5 months before taking her to Kosi bay. There I enjoyed every moment and she handled above my expectations in the sandy trails. Fuel consumption with a offroad trailer loaded to the brim and 5 people was about 9.6km/l for the trip... On the way back close to Ermelo I heard a clunking noise, stopped to see that the aircon belt was perished so i cut off the loose ends. Because of this the aircon belt cound move a bit on the pulley and subsequently cut through a water pipe right against the engine block. Ended up blowing my engine just outside Witbank.

Now here comes the sad part. I sent her to an Indie which i will not name who then proceded to do the rebuild but instead of putting the crank pulley in on the keyway on the crank he smacked it in with a rubber hammer. 2 months and R16500 later I had to open up the engine again because of that crank pulley problem.

I ended up taking the landrover to an Indie in Centurion where he started fixing her up bit by bit. Turns out the old crank was now so badly damaged that I had to buy new crank, and obviously new bearings.
    As we progressed with the fix up I ended up finding a bunch of other issues too. Clutch was on its way out, clutch fork was cracked, aircon pump bearing ceased, sprocket was "moeg"... the list continued.

In die end it cost me about R20 000 for the second rebuild and fixing everything else up. People probably think i'm bat##### crazy for not just selling but that ol' disco really did do her job as intended and wouldn't sommer trade her.
    My advise, just check the basics before buying but all in all a wonderful car... Hope mine is now gonna give me another 270000 km's
    Thanks For the reply Turksvy. Don't think you are bat#### crazy. I'm on the same wavelength as you when it comes to sentiment. Hope she keeps treating you wel.