Dunlop Grandtrek AT20

Default Dunlop Grandtrek AT20

Does anybody have any experience with these tyres? I normally would not look at Dunlop but I can get a good price on them.

Default Re: Dunlop Grandtrek AT20

I have Dunlop AT22 on my Prado. Did a Moremi , kwai, Nxai pan trip towing a conqueror commander in July without any problems. I am happy and also a good "on road" tyre. Don't know the difference between AT20 and AT 22?
    Francois

I also had AT22s. (Made in Japan)

I have to compromise tyre pressures for mix gravel and fast tar, so I ran them at 1.9bar.

Just a bit of a bend on a tar road and they starts squealing.
    The Isuzu spun them up with wet tar pull-aways.
    ZERO grip on wet gravel. The engine is free revving, in 2nd gear, with difflock!
    They only last approx 60kkm.

I gave them away (with great difficulty) and got General Grabber ATs. Difference is day and night (also at 1.9bar)! I have failed trying to loose traction on pull-away and breaking on soaked gravel roads that was covered with 5cm diarrhea like slush.
    Last edited by RogueFrontier; 2016/09/13 at 08:15 PM.
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

Default Dunlop Grandtrek AT20

I never experience any squealing.... Maybe I am Lucky with my set or they are build to fit a Prado. But yes if compare to general grabbers they are probably not as good. They for sure did not let me down in Botswana in some pretty tough conditions. For the price I have paid.... I am happy and will buy them again.
    Last edited by Francois111; 2016/09/13 at 09:38 PM.
    Francois

Quote Originally Posted by Francois111 View Post
    I never experience any squealing.... Maybe I am Lucky with my set or they are build to fit a Prado. But yes if compare to general grabbers they are probably not as good. They for sure did not let me down in Botswana in some pretty tough conditions. For the price I have paid.... I am happy and will buy them again.
    Except the Grabbers are cheaper then the AT22s that is on the cruisers.
    Last edited by RogueFrontier; 2016/09/14 at 07:14 PM.

Don't think they are available in 265/60 R18.
    Francois

Thanks for the feedback. I had a look at some reviews on the internet. Mostly negative reviews on the AT20 while most seems happy with the AT22.

I also had a look at the General Grabbers. The price and reviews are good but unfortunately they do not come in 265/60R18s

Any other good but affordable tyres I can look at? Where in Gauteng will I get the best price?

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I had a look at some reviews on the internet. Mostly negative reviews on the AT20 while most seems happy with the AT22.

I also had a look at the General Grabbers. The price and reviews are good but unfortunately they do not come in 265/60R18s

Any other good but affordable tyres I can look at? Where in Gauteng will I get the best price?
    Difficult size if you are looking for tougher tyres. Btw, AT20 = HT & AT22=AT.

Had AT22's on my FJ as original equipment. my experience of them was pretty crap everywhere, apart from sand. After 40k km they were downright dangerous in the wet with abs & tc constantly kicking in and also very difficult to balance (perhaps after all the punctures I had). Replaced them at 55k km with 4mm of tread left, couldn't drive it any longer from a safety standpoint.

I had a quick look on errols, perhaps have a look at the Achilles XMT or Maxxis AT980 (only three ply tyres I could find), as a requirement for myself was LT rated replacements, to give me more confidence on long trips etc.

Regarding prices, dial a number of dealers, prices vary a lot and change quickly as well. I have had success recently at Minty's on the Michelin LTX's I put on the FJ.
    Last edited by jarnojvv; 2016/09/15 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post

There is a 255/60R18 Grabber. If you cant live with a 10mm narrower tyre, I would go for the Pirelli ATR.